• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

    IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

who has yahoo/sbc global?

preussenGTP

Banned
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
0
Location
chicagoland
I currently have Comcast high-speed @100mbs.
The puter i'm on now is equipped with sbc global and it is just as fast as comcrap on my computer..My home computer is 80G with a 512 memory, and this laptop i'm on now with sbc is just as fast!
I'm paying $100 monthly for basic cable and high-speed net.
Who has an opinion on the speed/price between the two? Are you happy with sbc?
I'm satisfied with comcast, but if i can get a substantial savings by going to sbc and it'll be just as fast, i don't see paying the extra $$ for 'high-speed'
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
it depends what you do with your internet

sbc is typically 1.5mbps, comcast 6 or more.

if you download alot of programs, games, videos, etc etc, comcast will be noticeably faster.

if you just surf the web, do email, etc, you wouldnt notice a difference
 

98GTPDriva

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
0
I've had SBC Yahoo! DSL for 1.5 years now. I pay $19.95/month plus taxes/fees, which comes down to just under $22/month. I have the 3mbps version and download at 2515kbps (314.4 KB/second) and upload at 427kbps (53.4 KB/second) according to the speakeasy.net Speed Test.

These speeds are on my wireless laptop, so I'm sure my parents PC is a bit faster. I mainly download music with the occasional missed TV episode and don't have any complaints. Their customer service is not bad either.

Overall, I am satisfied SBC, especially when it saves me money versus Comcast.
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
I play games online and generally have less problems than any of the cable guys.... DSL > CABLE Plus i hear too many horror stories of cable going out all the time. I have never had my DSL go out even in the worst rainstorms or blizzards....
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 98GTPDriva@Sep 14 2006, 06:16 PM
I've had SBC Yahoo! DSL for 1.5 years now. I pay $19.95/month plus taxes/fees, which comes down to just under $22/month. I have the 3mbps version and download at 2515kbps (314.4 KB/second) and upload at 427kbps (53.4 KB/second) according to the speakeasy.net Speed Test.

These speeds are on my wireless laptop, so I'm sure my parents PC is a bit faster. I mainly download music with the occasional missed TV episode and don't have any complaints. Their customer service is not bad either.

Overall, I am satisfied SBC, especially when it saves me money versus Comcast.
[snapback]139358[/snapback]​

depending on your wireless adapter, you will not notice an internet difference between hardwire and wireless...

for what it's worth, comcast has been pretty good about service lately.


I cannot remember the last time my cable internet was out that was not caused by an act of God kind of thing ( and that was just one part of a day ) or act of human stupidity.
 

preussenGTP

Banned
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
0
Location
chicagoland
All in all i've been pretty much satisfied with comcast, but the price is a major turn-off.
I'm not a gamer nor do i DL music. I've also heard that the price of sbc goes ALOT after the special deal ends.

@ 98GTPdriver - $22 is a sweet deal! 50% less than what i'm being charged and i can't tell the difference in speed.

@ Toasty - the service here has been really good as well

@ Chipmonk - they're trying to get everyone to switch to digital cable cause analog cable is supposed to phased-out in the next few years(from what i've read)

Also, according to what i've read comcast will charge an additional premium if you drop cable tv OR high-speed net service. Right now it's $50 for each of the services(or is it $45-$55?)
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
their digital cable is not digital, they lie. Their DIGITAl cable boxes have no DIGITAL outputs. they are overrated and overpriced.
 

preussenGTP

Banned
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
0
Location
chicagoland
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 14 2006, 10:05 PM
their digital cable is not digital, they lie.  Their DIGITAl cable boxes have no DIGITAL outputs.  they are overrated and overpriced.
[snapback]139380[/snapback]​

When i first moved in to this place comcast offered 'digital' cable discounted for 6 months. The picture quality was awesome compared to analog cable, but curiously there wasn't an S video hook-up between my old analog tv and the converter.
The picture quality was still better. The other thing i hate about digital cable is that comcast has complete control over everything. And forget about subscribing to a premium channel, it raises the price substantially! And i won't even get into the cost of an In Demand PPV event :blink:
Bend over and say OUCH!
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 14 2006, 09:05 PM
their digital cable is not digital, they lie.  Their DIGITAl cable boxes have no DIGITAL outputs.  they are overrated and overpriced.
[snapback]139380[/snapback]​

digital cable means it's a digital signal INTO the box
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
while i do think the comcast high speed is a bit costly, I have 2 things to consider

1) no other service gives as fast of speeds

2) i get to expense my high speed bill to my work, so its all good anyway


haha :)
 

Kyle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
2,967
Reaction score
0
Location
Downers Grove
We're on this wireless broadband here and I hate it.

Going from the fastest comcast to 24mbps on a good day blows alot.
 

syP

Not Banned
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
29,891
Reaction score
15
Location
Downers Grove, Illinois
lol chipmonk.. know what you are talkin about before you post it.




you pay for what you get.... $50 a month here for 8Mbps download... with speed boost.. and 768Kbps upload.



that is a sick speed for the price... it is NEVER down for me... and well.. kiss my 1200k/sec downloads.



I can have over 30 ppl over playing on a Counter-strike server ALL with 20 ping (internet... not via lan)
 
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Guest
I have dial-up for $9.95, it's slow...but Comcast is literally the only high-speed provider for my neighborhood, and they know it. It's over $60 per month just for internet; screw that. I also have Direct-TV, and it's way better than any "digital" cable I've ever had.

I priced out our phone/cable/internet with Comcast to match the options of what I currently have, and they were about $60+ more a month.
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 15 2006, 12:52 AM
I have dial-up for $9.95, it's slow...but Comcast is literally the only high-speed provider for my neighborhood, and they know it. It's over $60 per month just for internet; screw that. I also have Direct-TV, and it's way better than any "digital" cable I've ever had.

I priced out our phone/cable/internet with Comcast to match the options of what I currently have, and they were about $60+ more a month.
[snapback]139420[/snapback]​

I am in the same boat you are as far as high speed provider, thanks to Bolingbrook, tho i thought i could get dsl if i really wanted to, but yeah it's like 49.99/mo plus fees without cable tv, and with modem rental.
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
I generally have a ping of 15-20 in any server with everyone else being at 20-40. and they are mostly people with cable. And it also depends on where you are located as well. you get speeds UP to 8mbs and thats for the more expensive cable internet. the standard is 6. With cable the further you are away from the cable node, the faster your speed is. While with DSL, the closer you are to the central office, the higher your speed. Dollar for Dollar, you will be happier with DSL. its just not worth 3x as much.
 

PANDA

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
34,195
Reaction score
25
Location
FRG
Cable > DSL

But I actually have SBC DSL. I pay like $19.99 for 3000kbps down 384kbps up. I get about ~2500/384. The upload is the same as comcast but the download is not fast enough for me. The DSL has been really slow latly and It drops connection sometimes and I gotta restart the modem. SBC DSL FTL, I might be switching to comcast soon.

I believe Comcast offers a 10mbps service now which would make it 4X faster than my DSL. You can get comcast cable internet for I believe $39.99 if you already have there Cable TV service. That is what a few of my friends pay. I believe this is a great deal for 10mbps.

If you just surf the net, YOU WILL NOT TELL THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN SBC DSL AND COMCAST CABLE. But if you download music, games, movies, etc you will notice the inscreased speed.

DSL speed is determined by how far you are away from the Central Office, the farther away the slower your connection would be. Cable speed is determind by how many people around you are also using the Cable internet. If you go online on Sunday morning when EVERYONE else is using the internet the connection would be slower then if you were online at 3am on a Tuesday. None of my friends really have a problem with Comcasts speed even during peaktimes.

Just wait till fiber technology gets used it will be 20X faster than todays Cable Internet!
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/t...o_premises.html
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Sep 15 2006, 07:49 AM
Cable > DSL

But I actually have SBC DSL. I pay like $19.99 for 3000kbps down 384kbps up. I get about ~2500/384. The upload is the same as comcast but the download is not fast enough for me. The DSL has been really slow latly and It drops connection sometimes and I gotta restart the modem. SBC DSL FTL, I might be switching to comcast soon.

I believe Comcast offers a 10mbps service now which would make it 4X faster than my DSL. You can get comcast cable internet for I believe $39.99 if you already have there Cable TV service. That is what a few of my friends pay. I believe this is a great deal for 10mbps.

If you just surf the net, YOU WILL NOT TELL THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN SBC DSL AND COMCAST CABLE. But if you download music, games, movies, etc you will notice the inscreased speed.

DSL speed is determined by how far you are away from the Central Office, the farther away the slower your connection would be. Cable speed is determind by how many people around you are also using the Cable internet. If you go online on Sunday morning when EVERYONE else is using the internet the connection would be slower then if you were online at 3am on a Tuesday. None of my friends really have a problem with Comcasts speed even during peaktimes.

Just wait till fiber technology gets used it will be 20X faster than todays Cable Internet!
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/t...o_premises.html
[snapback]139458[/snapback]​

price for comcast 6mpbs with speedboost (boosts first 20mb of a download) is 42.99 per month with comcast tv cable, and that is if you own your own modem, 45.99 with modem rental. (this is what I have)

you may be eligible for 6 mo promo pricing if you are a new comcast highspeed customer.

my d/l speed just now? :

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 12167 Kbps about 12.17 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1485 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/09/15 - 4:29pm
Bottom Line:: 212X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.69 sec
Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 8.187 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 120.26 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-7C3TJNY51
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1) [!]
 

preussenGTP

Banned
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
0
Location
chicagoland
Could i possibly be mistaken about my connection speed being 100Mbs?
If you hold ctrl-alt-delete down at the same time it pulls up windows task manager. That's where i got the 100Mbs i mentioned in my first post.

@ Toasty - i'm gonna check out that site you posted and see what my connection speed really is.

@ ViperMike - To be honest with you, there is a noticable difference in speed when others in the building are online. It does slow me down. Especially when the Emo kid next door was gaming LoL

When i first moved in here the building wasn't equipped with the correct feed line from the phone pole causing me all kinds of headaches. I thought my computer was screwed-up or i had a virus. It caused me to go over my minutes on my cell phone with tech support :blink: ($300 phone bill!!)
 

SaturdaysGS

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
4,119
Reaction score
4
Location
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Sep 15 2006, 07:13 PM
Could i possibly be mistaken about my connection speed being 100Mbs?
If you hold ctrl-alt-delete down at the same time it pulls up windows task manager. That's where i got the 100Mbs i mentioned in my first post.
Yes, that sounds like your network cards capable speed.
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
10mb cost an additional 10$ so its more like 53 if you have crappy ass cable tv service. without it its 68$
 

Toasty

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 16 2006, 01:20 AM
10mb cost an additional 10$ so its more like 53 if you have crappy ass cable tv service.  without it its 68$
[snapback]139627[/snapback]​

yeah, but i technically have the 6 meg version







---------------

100mbps is the network card speed (useful if you have multiple computers on same network)
 

syP

Not Banned
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
29,891
Reaction score
15
Location
Downers Grove, Illinois
well first of all it doesnt matter since you dont (probably) pay the bill... your parents do...

and there is a WORLD of differend between 1.5-3.0Mbps and 6-8Mbps...


i have been on both for a long time.


DSL is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS maxing out your connection so if you have 2+ users on it.. it blows.

as you know, Cable internet is a bunch of T3's strung together and capped to each house... so its like a 800hp car with a conservative tune even on 87 octane... and DSL is a 800hp car... with 120 octane and a insanely high tune.


which engine is being maxed out more?

and to add... i am on 768Kbps upload... with is ~88k/sec.... what does standard DSL go up to.. 40k/sec???


i need the fastest upload i can get without going to a T1 line, since i run a website and a CS server.
 

dole21

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
2,620
Reaction score
0
Location
South Carolina
I like Comcast...tv and cable. At my apartment complex, my cable TV is paid for, expanded basic.

I bought a sony HD integrated TV...did the autoprogram. and I have right now...68 analog channels, and 79 Digital channels. For Free. Not to mention, 2 5, 7, 9 and 32(Fox) are being broadcast in HDTV (1080i) most of the time. My neighbors have a big screen, but not integrated hd, they only get the basic analog channels.

I have gone from cable before, to dsl and vice versa, with work downloads and uploads I see a HUGE difference. and yes, because I dont pay for cable tv, my interenet is like 66 bucks a month after taxes.

(expensed for work though ;) )
 

Fish

From the mean streets....
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
36,113
Reaction score
21
Location
Chiraq
Ive had both. In fact, I was at my moms surfing the net with sbc. I saw no difference in basic web surfing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom