3800 Who has KYB-GR2?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
about the aligment thing. On my car i have changed the struts and put lowering spring on at to different times. After i did both, i did my aligment at school my self and everything was in spec. At all the mounting positons for the strut cartrage there is no adjustment. At the strut to knuckle, no cam bolts from factory or slotted holes. At the strut to tower point there is not slotted holes. I believe the only adjustments is toe and that is steering, and the only way that can be off is if the caster and or camber is off and that is not adjustable on out cars.
Lowering springs should not affect camber because it is a Mac Phersion strut system. When it is all assembled the spring and strut is basicaly one unit. Not like trucks where lowering springs will throw everything off. My view is that what is the need for a aligment if all that mounting positions are not not adjustable and everything is going in the same exact spot is can out of. Like is said before I did the lowering springs, I messed with the struts and sway bars and all kinds of suspension on my car. Then I did my own aligment at school on a Hunter machine and everything was good. I have been driveing for at least 10,000 miles like that and my car does not pull or have adn odd tire wear.
So now that this for what it is worth. I believe that our cars dont need aligments and i have experience to prove that with my own personal Grand Prix.

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM
about the aligment thing. On my car i have changed the struts and put lowering spring on at to different times. After i did both, i did my aligment at school my self and everything was in spec. At all the mounting positons for the strut cartrage there is no adjustment. At the strut to knuckle, no cam bolts from factory or slotted holes. At the strut to tower point there is not slotted holes. I believe the only adjustments is toe and that is steering, and the only way that can be off is if the caster and or camber is off and that is not adjustable on out cars.
Lowering springs should not affect camber because it is a Mac Phersion strut system. When it is all assembled the spring and strut is basicaly one unit. Not like trucks where lowering springs will throw everything off. My view is that what is the need for a aligment if all that mounting positions are not not adjustable and everything is going in the same exact spot is can out of. Like is said before I did the lowering springs, I messed with the struts and sway bars and all kinds of suspension on my car. Then I did my own aligment at school on a Hunter machine and everything was good. I have been driveing for at least 10,000 miles like that and my car does not pull or have adn odd tire wear.
So now that this for what it is worth. I believe that our cars dont need aligments and i have experience to prove that with my own personal Grand Prix.
[snapback]98143[/snapback]​
that os correct there is no adj. for strut to knuckel. But you do have to fix it. Tires getting messed up is one thing. The other thing you have to worry is the axles and wheel bearings. With the car lowered you put a little more stress the axles because they are forced to bend more and at a greater of a angle. The more you lower the car the greater the it has to bend and flex. Bearing are another problem. If the camber is off (the tires or on a angle / \ like that) the inter bearing is way over worked. what happens is the inner bearing takes all the wear and end up giving out. The outer one will be fine. There are a couple ways to fix your aliment. If you don't wont to spend any more money you can just make slop hole in the strut your self. That workes fine and I have done in one several cars. The other way is to buy the aftermarket cam boltes and they or not that expensive. I hope this helped later.

evastos

Regular
Sep 1, 2008
Chicago
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM
[snapback]98143[/snapback]​

That's exactly what the Mechanic from Midas told me about not having to do an alignment on my car. So is everyone in agreement of not having to do an alignment?

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
I just had mine aligned today, at least I "Tried". The KYB's areNot slotted to do toe in and out, so know ive got to take off the struts, make the slot so It can be properly aligned ( firestone wanted 125-150 to do it). the toe in & out is still off.

firestone is the only place I found that sells lifetime warrenty. :)

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Sep 20 2005, 01:25 AM
I just had mine aligned today, at least I "Tried". The KYB's areNot slotted to do toe in and out, so know ive got to take off the struts, make the slot so It can be properly aligned ( firestone wanted 125-150 to do it). the toe in & out is still off.

firestone is the only place I found that sells lifetime warrenty. :)
[snapback]98306[/snapback]​
Ya but been carefull they can say that you hit a pot whole and they dont cover that . THE FINE PRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It come back to bite me in my ass.... :angry:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info