• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

    IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Who has KYB-GR2?

evastos

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago
Ok so the other day I go to this Midas shop and the guy tells me that the KYB-GR2 struts are crap. That there's this one guy(neon) that has came three times already to change them out because of leaks and other crap. Now does anyone have any issues with their KYB-GR2 in their GP's?
 

evastos

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago
Also when you guys changed out the Struts did you have to get an alignment?
 

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
0
Location
Hotel 4 Dogs
Originally posted by evastos@Sep 16 2005, 08:18 PM
Also when you guys changed out the Struts did you have to get an alignment?
[snapback]98113[/snapback]​
yes, of coarse you do/should.
 

2000gtp

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
Location
Omaha,NE
you dont need to but it should be done. your tires will wear faster, sometimes you can get them close enough to drive straight but i highly recommend getting an alignment after install
 

mybluegtp

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
3,868
Reaction score
0
Location
Burbank
I have them and love them with the GM lowering springs. And Yes you need an aligntment everytime you usually mess with suspension stuff.
 

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
7,063
Reaction score
2
Location
Cedar Lake, IN
about the aligment thing. On my car i have changed the struts and put lowering spring on at to different times. After i did both, i did my aligment at school my self and everything was in spec. At all the mounting positons for the strut cartrage there is no adjustment. At the strut to knuckle, no cam bolts from factory or slotted holes. At the strut to tower point there is not slotted holes. I believe the only adjustments is toe and that is steering, and the only way that can be off is if the caster and or camber is off and that is not adjustable on out cars.
Lowering springs should not affect camber because it is a Mac Phersion strut system. When it is all assembled the spring and strut is basicaly one unit. Not like trucks where lowering springs will throw everything off. My view is that what is the need for a aligment if all that mounting positions are not not adjustable and everything is going in the same exact spot is can out of. Like is said before I did the lowering springs, I messed with the struts and sway bars and all kinds of suspension on my car. Then I did my own aligment at school on a Hunter machine and everything was good. I have been driveing for at least 10,000 miles like that and my car does not pull or have adn odd tire wear.
So now that this for what it is worth. I believe that our cars dont need aligments and i have experience to prove that with my own personal Grand Prix.
 

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Location
Joliet
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM
about the aligment thing. On my car i have changed the struts and put lowering spring on at to different times. After i did both, i did my aligment at school my self and everything was in spec. At all the mounting positons for the strut cartrage there is no adjustment. At the strut to knuckle, no cam bolts from factory or slotted holes. At the strut to tower point there is not slotted holes. I believe the only adjustments is toe and that is steering, and the only way that can be off is if the caster and or camber is off and that is not adjustable on out cars.
Lowering springs should not affect camber because it is a Mac Phersion strut system. When it is all assembled the spring and strut is basicaly one unit. Not like trucks where lowering springs will throw everything off. My view is that what is the need for a aligment if all that mounting positions are not not adjustable and everything is going in the same exact spot is can out of. Like is said before I did the lowering springs, I messed with the struts and sway bars and all kinds of suspension on my car. Then I did my own aligment at school on a Hunter machine and everything was good. I have been driveing for at least 10,000 miles like that and my car does not pull or have adn odd tire wear.
So now that this for what it is worth. I believe that our cars dont need aligments and i have experience to prove that with my own personal Grand Prix.
[snapback]98143[/snapback]​
that os correct there is no adj. for strut to knuckel. But you do have to fix it. Tires getting messed up is one thing. The other thing you have to worry is the axles and wheel bearings. With the car lowered you put a little more stress the axles because they are forced to bend more and at a greater of a angle. The more you lower the car the greater the it has to bend and flex. Bearing are another problem. If the camber is off (the tires or on a angle / \ like that) the inter bearing is way over worked. what happens is the inner bearing takes all the wear and end up giving out. The outer one will be fine. There are a couple ways to fix your aliment. If you don't wont to spend any more money you can just make slop hole in the strut your self. That workes fine and I have done in one several cars. The other way is to buy the aftermarket cam boltes and they or not that expensive. I hope this helped later.
 

zeez gtp

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
949
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolingbrook
I had them with eibach's, and they seemed cool, I would suggest not using eibach's with them. To much pogo
 

evastos

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM
about the aligment thing. On my car i have changed the struts and put lowering spring on at to different times. After i did both, i did my aligment at school my self and everything was in spec. At all the mounting positons for the strut cartrage there is no adjustment. At the strut to knuckle, no cam bolts from factory or slotted holes. At the strut to tower point there is not slotted holes. I believe the only adjustments is toe and that is steering, and the only way that can be off is if the caster and or camber is off and that is not adjustable on out cars.
Lowering springs should not affect camber because it is a Mac Phersion strut system. When it is all assembled the spring and strut is basicaly one unit. Not like trucks where lowering springs will throw everything off. My view is that what is the need for a aligment if all that mounting positions are not not adjustable and everything is going in the same exact spot is can out of. Like is said before I did the lowering springs, I messed with the struts and sway bars and all kinds of suspension on my car. Then I did my own aligment at school on a Hunter machine and everything was good. I have been driveing for at least 10,000 miles like that and my car does not pull or have adn odd tire wear.
So now that this for what it is worth. I believe that our cars dont need aligments and i have experience to prove that with my own personal Grand Prix.
[snapback]98143[/snapback]​

That's exactly what the Mechanic from Midas told me about not having to do an alignment on my car. So is everyone in agreement of not having to do an alignment?
 

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
0
Location
Hotel 4 Dogs
I just had mine aligned today, at least I "Tried". The KYB's areNot slotted to do toe in and out, so know ive got to take off the struts, make the slot so It can be properly aligned ( firestone wanted 125-150 to do it). the toe in & out is still off.


firestone is the only place I found that sells lifetime warrenty. :)
 

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Location
Joliet
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Sep 20 2005, 01:25 AM
I just had mine aligned today, at least I "Tried". The KYB's areNot slotted to do toe in and out, so know ive got to take off the struts, make the slot so It can be properly aligned ( firestone wanted 125-150 to do it). the toe in & out is still off.


firestone is the only place I found that sells lifetime warrenty. :)
[snapback]98306[/snapback]​
Ya but been carefull they can say that you hit a pot whole and they dont cover that . THE FINE PRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It come back to bite me in my ass.... :angry:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom