• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Who drives a F-Body daily in the winter?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Sooo.... The GTP has been sold. :hsugh:

I now have to choose if I want to drive my TA through the winter or sell it for something more practical. Winter was pretty uneventful last year, but I hope this year we actually get some snow.

I would be purchasing some snow tires, and obviously find alternate transportation or don't drive if the roads are bad.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Tried it one year with all seasons and was beyond sketchy. The cars do not do we on crowned roads. Everytime I hit the gas the rear would slide to the curb lol.

That was exactly my friends experience with his 3 dd f-bodies he had over the years.

Winter tires do wonders for any car including rwd.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Obviously tires can change the cars performance quite a bit. This thing gets sideways if I give it slight gas on wet pavement, the tires are pretty new. I can only imagine the snow.

Just looking for personal experience. I know people have been driving RWD in the winter since the beginning of time. But all cars are different.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Last year I ran 225 winter tires I picked up used and it was great. Car is lowered too. Sometimes u gotta dodge the big ice chunks. Its not really easy to drive but its very possible. I didn't get stuck once. If it snows like 20 inches I'll obviously get stuck but anything other than a truck is going to also. They do a pretty good job of getting snow off the ground around here so I'm not worried. I'm planning on doing it again for this year. Last year I got lucky because it snowed maybe twice. We'll see.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I'm sure as states with winter tires they're "better" but I can say the all seasons were new and compared to my mustang it seemed impossible. And the GT was on 555r's and made it just fine lol

I had Eagle F1s for 2 years and didn't even have the problems you had with your all seasons... The F1s weren't fun, but I never got stuck once.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
I have in the past. I won't anymore. It also depends on the type of snow. The light fluffy stuff is not too bad. The icy stuff is bad no matter what. If you get the heavier wet stuff up to 2 or 3 inches can be rough. Even just taking my foot off the brake without giving it gas at a stoplight and the tires would start spinning and the rear end trying to come around.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I DD'd mine, was not really a big deal. Had Potenza RE01's on the car at the time, 245's. Wasn't half bad in the winter.

I also Daily'd a 3rd gen for a winter that had a decent amount of heavy snow. Never got stuck unless I was doing something I shouldn't have... (drifting around neighborhoods AKA being a 17 year old) Tube sand is your friend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info