• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Who drives a F-Body daily in the winter?

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
I DD a '92 F-body for 9 years. Winters were fun :) I truly had fun :) I changed to snow tires and put in 2 things of 80# tube sands. Only a few times during bad storms could I not get up a hill to make my street on Rt 59. Had to go straight and go the long way to go in. It was no big deal. Just didn't want to end up in ditch. I never had a problem. I always would be passing up jackasses in SUV's. I mean, there's being smart and taking it steady and slow, and there's gunning it and ending up in a ditch. That's where you learn how to drive!!

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Driven nothing but 4th Gen F-bodies since 1996. Snow tires and learn car control and its no problem. Been driving my current car with a 3600 stall (now a 4000 stall) since I bought it. Last couple years have been driving it Uber slammed. I plow snow constantly with the air dam being 2" from the pavement and Still no problems getting stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k87SPQkkoNk

And to all those that say I'm destroying a "rare" collectors car get over it. Me destryoing mine by driving it is making their garage queen worth more.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Cool vid. I've DD'd Fox Body Mustangs, then my 98 SS a bunch of years (now Anthony Manna's ODR car lol). I would add 2-3 bags of sand (70 lbers from Menards).

Last few year I DD'd my old 2006 1SS RWD TBSS, would add 4 bags of sand. Never got stuck but once in a while (stock tires) it would be hard to get moving.

I have a short commute N side to River North so I will probably DD my 2010 Camaro and have a set of rims set aside for snow tires. Only about 5 miles.

I drove my SS from from 2002 until now. Just bought a new DD. Believe it or not, I had Eagle F1 & F1 GSD3s for about 6 years (and used them all year) before I bought All Seasons.

My threshold seemed to be about 4 inches. Up to 4 inches of snow, most hills were ok. Having a 6-speed really helps. Being stopped halfway up a hill was troublesome, but like I said, 6-speed helps. Above 4 inches, though, if I were stopped at a light halfway up a hill, I probably would end up going backwards mostly. Those days turned my 5 minute commute into a 60 minute one. Also, to be honest, even though Eagle F1's are rated 0/5 in snow and my Sumitomo and Continental All Seasons were like 3/5 or something, in snow, they are about the same. Obviously, that's a waste of an F1 though.

Automatic, though...might be a problem.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
...Automatic, though...might be a problem.

Stock Automatic and stock stall Yes.. Just slightly touching the pedal and the converter would come on abruptly but with a loose converter its a different story. I can get super smooth starts with the 4000 stall in my car and no TCS. Also with the stall the RPM's stay at a consistent through the shifts so there is no shock to the tires. Even uphill on snow (with snow tires of course) I have no problems.

that being said, i really really think road conditions and the need of snow tires/or something not rwd/or something like a snowmobile depends on where you live.

I agree.. the area you live in makes quite a difference. If you are out in the middle of nowhere it will be different from being in the near suburbs vs the city of Chicago.

Example... In Schaumburg the side streets are plowed by the Village of Schaumburg and are cleared much quicker than the main roads that are plowed by the State. I remember the 2 feet of snow we got a couple years ago. I drove my car to my parents house on the side streets just hours after it stopped snowing with no problem. They were completely plowed and intersections salted and down to clean pavement. I tried to cross Schaumburg road which is "plowed" by the state.. Forget about it! There was barley 1 winding lane wide plowed in each direction and the middle of the intersection not even touched. That was the only day I missed getting to work because of snow and really I didn't miss it because they closed the office (which is Rare because we are usually open 24 hours a day)

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Took off my black rims and finally stopped DD'ing on drag radials. :)

Threw my stock rims back on, 20x8 fronts, and 20x9 rears. Also got a deal on some barely used Pirelli Ice + Snow snow tires, 245's for front and 275's for rear.

They drive pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in snow.

IMAG1175-1.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Its not just your ability to drive an fbody in the snow but its the hopes that other asshats who can't drive in dry weather let alone snow don't hit you and total the car.

Sandbags help a lot and snow tires. But if you put the sandbags back to far it may shift more of the weight to the back and off the steer tires and that may cause problems. When putting in sandbags try and get it right over the rear wheels

Red Alert

Addict
Aug 10, 2012
I drove 5 winters in my f-body with only 2 winter tires in rear. Unless your fronts are completely bald you will not have that hard of a time getting around.

The reason why I did it like that was so I could actually pull away from stops...

Realistically if there is snow you'll not be traveling that fast since everyone drives like a tool.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
from ' The Tire Industry Association'

"Mounting new tires on the front: The worn rear tires have less tread and lower hydroplaning resistance. They can lose their grip on wet roads, causing the rear end of the vehicle to swing around and out of control.

Mounting tires on the rear: Deeper tread with greater hydroplaning resistance helps new tires grip wet roads. The driver can steer to compensate for the lower wet traction of the worn front tires and safely maintain control."

in short..

FWD: you have 3 sources of control on the front: steering, gas pedal, brake pedal.
you have 1 source of control on the rear: brakes only

RWD: You have 2 sources of control on the front: brake pedal and steering.
you have 2 sources of control on the rear: gas pedal and brakes only

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info