Food / Drink Whiskey drinkers unite!

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Mixing is bad ju ju

Don't drink 15 beers and then end the night with a couple shots.

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Beer before liquor, never been sicker.
Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.

Reactions: cdh027 and Spivitz

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I get them usually around this time of year through my guy for retail ($79) It's certainly not worth the secondary price, but it's a very decent bourbon. Weller antique 107 is very similar to it and much cheaper if you can find that.

People pay $99/2 ounce pour for it at steakhouses around Chicago and that is absolutely insane.

A good bourbon like many of these posted in here, none... Bourbon is a pretty good drink, and it's healthy for you, as long as you're not getting absolutely shitfaced with it all the time.
That’s a good price. How’d you find this “guy”?

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
I'm a fan of Basil Hayden as well. I haven't had the Basil Hayden red wine cask finished, Looking forward to your review on that one! I have tried their dark rye, which I absolutely love. The 'Toast' is ... 'eh'. But it's like wine, everyone's tastes are different. Looking forward to your review on that one!

I wish I could get a hookup for Col. E.H. Taylor. A friend of mine loves the stuff (to me, the Small Batch tastes just like Maker's 46, which is odd because different distilleries).
Booker's Tag-a-Long batches are my grabs if I ever see them (which is freaking rare). North Carolina is all state controlled liquor stores, so it's a pain. Plus each county is like a "franchise", and even though they're all ordering through the state, there's no central online search that tells you which stores received shipments most recently, so you at least know where to call to ask for things. It becomes this damn scavenger hunt.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I'm a fan of Basil Hayden as well. I haven't had the Basil Hayden red wine cask finished, Looking forward to your review on that one! I have tried their dark rye, which I absolutely love. The 'Toast' is ... 'eh'. But it's like wine, everyone's tastes are different. Looking forward to your review on that one!

I wish I could get a hookup for Col. E.H. Taylor. A friend of mine loves the stuff (to me, the Small Batch tastes just like Maker's 46, which is odd because different distilleries).
Booker's Tag-a-Long batches are my grabs if I ever see them (which is freaking rare). North Carolina is all state controlled liquor stores, so it's a pain. Plus each county is like a "franchise", and even though they're all ordering through the state, there's no central online search that tells you which stores received shipments most recently, so you at least know where to call to ask for things. It becomes this damn scavenger hunt.
The longer I have been into whiskey/bourbons I have found myself sticking to my go too’s I do enjoy hitting up whisky/bourbon bars as I always like to try something new. I’m just not into buying bottles of something I have never tried. My top 5

1) Rabbit Hole sherry cask
2) widow Jane
3)Caribou Crossing
4) Four Roses Small Batch
5) Bardstown Fusion 5

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates

Well I just opened the bottle and Red wine cask is the smoothest Basil Hayden’s product. Very easy drinking. Truly enjoyed it neat, but will say not much flavor on the back end, the finish is almost non existent. For the price it’s a no brainer to buy. Would probably be very good in an old fashion.

image.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Trinten and IDAFC21

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
Picked up 2 bottles of Campfire tonight.

View attachment 131764
Very nice pickup- awesome for the price.

Never been a whiskey drinker, so I gotta ask, what kind of hangover do you guys get from the stuff?

Drink 30 shitty beers, get a bad hangover.

Drink 30 good beers, get a slightly less bad hangover.

Drink plenty of water or get an IV and you can be as big of a degenerate as you want.

Moderation is key in anything.

5E089C11-53EC-4DFA-BC47-384572FDEDD2.jpeg

I honestly haven't had a Basil Hayden's I've thought was worth the cost. I haven't had any of the cask strength stuff though. I like higher proof stuff, so with most of their bottles being 80 proof it leaves a lot to be desired to me.

Also, seeing the Smoke Wagon up above. If you ever come across the Uncut/Unfiltered, snag it. One of my favorite bottles for a higher proof.

I've kinda calmed down on collecting at this point, I think I have around 35 bottles, but tend to stick to just sipping on Buffalo Trace or Weller SR because I can't replace quite a few of the bottles I have easily.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Basil Hayden's falls a little flat for me. I never really sipped it but I used to by the standard release for mixing. As I progressed my palette, it just didn't hold up to mixing being just 80 proof. Toast was absolutely horrid IMO. I bought Subtle Smoke and it's an easy sipper. Nothing special though for the money.

I progressed to Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig or Bulliet for old fashioneds.

For me 90-105 proof for sippers is the sweet spot. Old Forester 1910, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Smoke Wagon Small Batch have been current sippers.

I too have slowed on my whiskey collecting. I think I'm up around 50 bottles with enough back ups. Right now I'm trying to clear out some inventory. I'll only buy a bottle if something really special comes along.

Reactions: Squeaky192

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I honestly haven't had a Basil Hayden's I've thought was worth the cost. I haven't had any of the cask strength stuff though. I like higher proof stuff, so with most of their bottles being 80 proof it leaves a lot to be desired to me.

Also, seeing the Smoke Wagon up above. If you ever come across the Uncut/Unfiltered, snag it. One of my favorite bottles for a higher proof.

I've kinda calmed down on collecting at this point, I think I have around 35 bottles, but tend to stick to just sipping on Buffalo Trace or Weller SR because I can't replace quite a few of the bottles I have easily.
Uncut/Unfiltered is becoming easy to find. Binnys and Joe (Romeoville) has all of the Smoke Wagons in stock.

Wish I could find another bottle of EH though.

Uncut/Unfiltered is becoming easy to find. Binnys and Joe (Romeoville) has all of the Smoke Wagons in stock.

Wish I could find another bottle of EH though.
I've got the standard small batch EH Taylor and the Straight Rye one - I'd like to find the full proof or single barrel some year.

I haven't had any of that EH since I moved up here, I need to crack back into it - maybe on Thanksgiving I'll have some.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
The longer I have been into whiskey/bourbons I have found myself sticking to my go too’s I do enjoy hitting up whisky/bourbon bars as I always like to try something new. I’m just not into buying bottles of something I have never tried. My top 5

1) Rabbit Hole sherry cask
2) widow Jane
3)Caribou Crossing
4) Four Roses Small Batch
5) Bardstown Fusion 5
I went on a distillery tour at Rabbit Hole about a month ago and it was an excellent experience. If you're ever in Louisville I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
Admittedly I had never heard of them before the tour. They have a really unique facility and I was impressed with their full lineup with Cavehill being my favorite.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I went on a distillery tour at Rabbit Hole about a month ago and it was an excellent experience. If you're ever in Louisville I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
Admittedly I had never heard of them before the tour. They have a really unique facility and I was impressed with their full lineup with Cavehill being my favorite.
I haven't been to Louisville but I was in Bardstown KY last summer which was awesome! I really loved Bardstown distillery.......

I haven't been to Louisville but I was in Bardstown KY last summer which was awesome! I really loved Bardstown distillery.......
Louisville is an awesome city with a lot of good food and bourbon bars, especially east of downtown in Germantown and such. However, other than Rabbit Hole I don't think there really are any main distilleries in Louisville - Evan Williams has their downtown experience deal, but it's mostly just a recreation of parts of the original distillery and they do small batch craft distilling there.

If you do end up there anytime, I highly recommend North of Bourbon for drinks and food.

Thread Info