Food / Drink Whiskey drinkers unite!

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
One of the local liquor stores just moved into a much larger building, so I checked it out today. They're definitely making use of the space! They had High West and High West Double Rye for 39.95.
I picked up that and some more of my cheaper mixer stuff (Ancient Age, Red Stag, Canadian Club), some good sipping stuff that I know I enjoy (Basil Hayden Dark Rye), and lastly they had the varieties of Jack Daniels Single Barrel, stuff, so I picked up the small bottle of the Single Barrel Select to try out.
Let me know what you think of the single barrel select- it’s pretty crazy how much barrel picks can differ.

I’d like to arrange an Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace barrel pick with some buddies- sample 10 and pick one, split the barrel among everyone. If there are 10 guys that’s about 26 bottles/person.

Reactions: Trinten

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
One of the local liquor stores just moved into a much larger building, so I checked it out today. They're definitely making use of the space! They had High West and High West Double Rye for 39.95.
I picked up that and some more of my cheaper mixer stuff (Ancient Age, Red Stag, Canadian Club), some good sipping stuff that I know I enjoy (Basil Hayden Dark Rye), and lastly they had the varieties of Jack Daniels Single Barrel, stuff, so I picked up the small bottle of the Single Barrel Select to try
Let me know what you think of the single barrel select- it’s pretty crazy how much barrel picks can differ.

I’d like to arrange an Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace barrel pick with some buddies- sample 10 and pick one, split the barrel among everyone. If there are 10 guys that’s about 26 bottles/person.
How do you go about doing that? Make a distillery visit I’m assuming?

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
69Nice 69Nice
Opened the Jack Daniels Single Barrel tonight. This was from Barrel number 22-02415, bottling date was 3/2/22.

First two ounces - neat: Nose was faint and mild. When I could pick something up (before the acetone/ethanol overpowered it), I was getting sweet corn and just a tiny hint of leather. It is incredibly smooth, unfortunately it didn't have a lot of complexity to me. Oddly I was getting a faint wheat taste, that changed briefly into "Beefsteak rye" (for those familiar with that brand of bread), then ended with spicy. The ethanol kick didn't come in till the very end, becoming noticeable as the spicy faded.

I have another 2 ounces, I'm going to put in a few drops of water and see what it does. If it changes dramatically, I'll edit this post. If not... I won't!
Maybe tomorrow I'll try it with ice.

So at the moment, the (amazing) smoothness does not justify the cost of the bottle, and I'm glad I got the small one.

Reactions: 69Nice

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
I opened High West tonight. As normal, started with it neat.
If anyone is a scotch person, this is probably a great bourbon to try out. The nose is very 'candied', like, it reminds me of the smell of jelly beans and the smell of candy corn.
The initial flavor is just smoke. Followed quickly by spice, and ends with oak.

With a little water, the nose changes, comes up with fruits, like fruit cocktail. The initial smokey hit is mellowed out, but still overpowers anything else notable. Lingering finish of a savory spice, not baking spices like cinnamon. More like 'all spice'?

A buddy of mine is a big scotch guy. He will get this bottle. lol

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Anyone know where to get a bottle of Blanton's? Looking to get a gift for a buddy for his birthday, but striking out on finding it. I know it's a rare find, if someone sees one and can grab it for me (I can paypal/venmo/Zelle you on the spot if you've got it in your hands) I'd be greatful!

If we can't find a bottle, anyone got some good recommendations for a bottle around that price point? It's a group gift so don't mind going a little higher.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I know we're almost halfway into April now but I finally went and picked up Marchs "whiskey of the month" from total wine today before my discount expired :ROFLMAO:

fQ729fK.jpg

don't know much about this stuff, but it is a scotch, from Scotland! Distilled in 2014 and then aged for 7 years. Its really not expensive either, only like $40 before my discount, so Im curious how this will actually be. If anything, I figure it will be a good candidate for some Godfathers. Scotch and amaretto. They're quite delicious when mixed right.

Reactions: Trinten

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Had a couple pours of the scotch last night. Its definitely a scotch :ROFLMAO: BUT, for the price of this stuff, its actually very drinkable. There's nothing remarkable about it but if you're just looking for something to sip on, you can do worse than this. Had it w/ an ice cube (im an ice cube guy deal with it) but I feel like I could drink this neat if I really wanted to. There was no harshness to it at all.

Again, probably not something I'd look for again after I finish this bottle, but as far as trying something new and especially for how cheap it is, I am quite pleased.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I opened High West tonight. As normal, started with it neat.
If anyone is a scotch person, this is probably a great bourbon to try out. The nose is very 'candied', like, it reminds me of the smell of jelly beans and the smell of candy corn.
The initial flavor is just smoke. Followed quickly by spice, and ends with oak.

With a little water, the nose changes, comes up with fruits, like fruit cocktail. The initial smokey hit is mellowed out, but still overpowers anything else notable. Lingering finish of a savory spice, not baking spices like cinnamon. More like 'all spice'?

A buddy of mine is a big scotch guy. He will get this bottle. lol
Were you drinking Hugh West Camp Fire? Cause I have not had a Smokey flavor in the High West Bourbon whiskey.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
table flip GIF

That being gif'd... you lucky bastard. Did they have more? Was it 1-per-person or anything?
Yea, Binnys started a new system last month you can only get 1 good bottle of bourbon every month, and you have to be on their email system. They only got a couple of these and i chose this one over my usual EH taylor or eagle rare.

Thread Info