Food / Drink Whiskey drinkers unite!

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
2B229297-3F8B-4E1D-B8AC-8D85E574EEE0.jpeg

Little higher octane but also very good- would be tough to pick one between this and the 1910.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Nice find!!
I haven't had the pleasure of E.H.'s rye, please let me know how it compares to the "common" small batch stuff.

On my end, I've liked some of Wild Turkey's offerings (such as their American Honey), so for giggles I picked up a small bottle of original Wild Turkey... holy hell. I haven't tried it with water or ice yet, but neat it's.... it's terrible. Like, hauntingly terrible. This might get relegated to "mixed drink only" material. Then again for that, I usually just stick with Ancient Age.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
If you're going to do that, then it needs to be an TCG event. We'll get some of the grill masters from the smoked meats thread, I can bring over some of my bourbons and the top shelf allocated Tequila as well as cigars, and the initial playlist of music will need to be everything everyone listed in the "most annoying songs" thread! lol

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Tonight is a riff on a Manhattan, using a terrible bourbon from a place that makes good bourbon.
In N.C. there is a distillery called Conviction that has a limited edition you can only get on their distillery tours which was awesome! In the local stores, I could only find a bottle of their "sour mash". Which... was aptly named.

So there is a riff on Manhattans where instead of using sweet vermouth, you can use port. When I was at the outer banks, I found a restaurant that used Ron Zacapa Centenario rum. It was amazing. So I use an ounce of port, half ounce of aforementioned rum, and two ounces of that horrid sour mash. Makes a pretty good drink. :)

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
That American Prairie is surprisingly good
This is pretty tasty- was a barrel pick in a rum barrel I think.

Edit- I like most everything from High West that I’ve tried. At this price point ($60) I’m not sure I’d grab it again but I’ll definitely drink it. We’ll see how much it changes after it has a chance to open up. There have been a handful of bottles where the neck or first pour has been drastically different than the rest.

8F7C062E-5EDE-46CD-ACE4-4B70866C7AFB.jpeg

Reactions: Spivitz

69Nice

Rainman
Sep 4, 2020
CO
I wasn't a fan of "Gentleman Jack" though it's been a long time since I tried it. I did try their Single Barrel "Barrel Proof". Have you had either one of those, and how would you compare the Select Barrel to them?
I was hesitant to get the Select Barrel because the other JD stuff I’ve tried has been “meh.” Got this at the recommendation of a friend and it’s in line, if not better than, the price.

Reactions: Trinten

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished is tonight's drink.

I forgot I had this. Sometimes when I go for a drink, I realize I don't have much that is "mid-tier". I have really inexpensive stuff that is good for mixers or by itself (Ancient Age and Skrewball, for example), and then I got really good stuff, like Eagle Rare, 10 yr, Bookers, Baker (I guess Baker is sorta mid-tier?), etc.
So I was glad to find this. I can't remember when I had it last, but the bottle is about half-empty. Hopefully this was not super pricey. lol

Having it neat. It's good, it definitely gives you an ethanol slap in the face if you take too big of a sip, but even then, the burn fades quick. Has a complex aftertaste I can't quite nail down, I think because one of the flavors is not something normally in liquid form, so my brain is hitting a cognitive dissonance wall and not letting the association surface. The aftertaste has almost a creamy feel to it. Really tough to explain.

Tomorrow I will try some with water and then ice and see if I can elaborate.

Nose is great, definitely has some port undertones, a little sweet. Still trying to figure out the rest. Will report more later. I now have a weekend experiment to do. lol. Thankfully car day was rescheduled to Sunday.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Trying this out now. Grangestone bourbon cask finish

ci-grangestone-bourbon-cask-finish-single-malt-scotch-whisky-43bfdf2767a471f2.png

Last month I bought a bottle of their cognac cask finish, which I REALLY liked, and will likely buy again. This is actually quite pleasant as well. It is a single malt scotch, so you need to kinda like that, cuz you do get those flavors on the initial taste, but this stuff is actually quite smooth and doesnt really have a bite. It's not quite as sweet as the cognac cask was, but for a scotch its very sippable. Think I still like the cognac cask better, but this stuff aint bad.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
One of the local liquor stores just moved into a much larger building, so I checked it out today. They're definitely making use of the space! They had High West and High West Double Rye for 39.95.
I picked up that and some more of my cheaper mixer stuff (Ancient Age, Red Stag, Canadian Club), some good sipping stuff that I know I enjoy (Basil Hayden Dark Rye), and lastly they had the varieties of Jack Daniels Single Barrel, stuff, so I picked up the small bottle of the Single Barrel Select to try out.

Thread Info