• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Which oil and how to?

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
I always let jiffe lube change the oil in my car but i wanna do it anymore. I don't trust those kids.

so which oil would be the best for our cars? where to get them and the most imporantly, how to change oil?

just unscrew the bolt on oilpan and drain the oil and fill with new oil? also how much oil should i put in?

about oilfilter, which one to use, where to get and how to remove/install?

thanks for any help in advance!

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I used to use the Castol Full Sythetic and the guy at my shop talked me into going with Royal Purple 10w40. I can honestly say i felt the difference. It does cost more than the other oils but with the time and money invested into my car its worth getting the oil that will offer the best protection. Whats a couple dollars more...it goes for around $7-8 a quart As far as changing it you got me i have lowering springs on my car and cant even slide the pan under the car to change the oil, I have it done at the shop.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
You are going to need atleast 6 quarts and I was doing the same thing you were and taking it to Jiffy Lube and I share your concern, anytime I would go there to get the oil changed they all crowded around the car not paying attention to what they were doing and making me paranoid as hell. I wont go back to that. I would go with 7 quarts to be safe just in case you need to top of the oil, put the 6 in there and start it up for 10 seconds or so kill the engine give it 20 seconds and check the levels. If you decide to go with the Royal Purple I dont think you can find it at any local auto parts place.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Well a few suggestions:

- If you have never changed your oil before, then I suggest you have someone there just the 1st time. It's not hard, but could be very damaging and expensive boo-boo.
- I suggest buying some latex gloves, help keep your hands clean.
- Buy some cat litter, just in case you spill some on the floor.
- If you have jacking rails or subframe connectors installed it makes for easier lifting.
- If your car is lowered I suggest you drive up on some small pieces of 2x4s, will help get you a little more clearance.
- I drive up on my 2x4s, place a jack underneath the passenger side lift point( just in front of the door on the subframe) with a piece of wood on top of the part that lifts, so it doesn't crush any metal underneath, then stick the jackstands under. Make sure that the jacks don't block the area where the drain pan is, or when you pop the bolt you'll miss and have to use the litter for clean up...
- Gorrila ramps help in conjunction with the 2x4s in front so it clears the bumper cover.
- When you remove the filter, there will still be oil in there as well.. you will need a oil wrench to help twist off
- When putting on the new filter, dip your finger in a new oil quart and run it all the way around on the filter o ring to help prevent it from dry rotting and sticking to your engine block on the next oil change. Hand tighten the filter and when it feels tight, twist one more half turn BY HAND

As far as oil, I am using Mobil Synthetic 5-30. I usually buy it at Sam for a 6pack, and usually only use 5 qts. Then I check the dipstick to make sure there is enough.
Filter, I just pick one up from the local automotive store. You can get them on sale sometimes at Murrays, just stock up. If you don't know the number, someone can look it up for you there.

If you go synthetic, you can use it longer than the dino oil changed every 3k. Shelby Guy has run some analysis, and I think it was like 6-7k, search for his thread, at least I think it was him.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
i have been using mobil 5w20-5w30 from jiffe lube but i wanna do it myself anymore. 2 reasions. i am worried that they will mess something on my car and 70 bucks for an oil change is pretty expensive.

Flatliner: those are great directions. thanks a lot.

i appriciated your help guys. I will ask my buddy to help me out to change the oil then.

also one more question: do i need to change my oil everytime i come back from track? just because i raced the car? or no matter how i drive every 3k+ miles i can change my oil and be safe?

thanks.

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
doodad said:
also one more question: do i need to change my oil everytime i come back from track? just because i raced the car? or no matter how i drive every 3k+ miles i can change my oil and be safe?

thanks.
Theres no problem in changing oil often it just gets expensive. As for the 3k rule just keep in mind that the oil takes abuse when you get on the car constantly. Heat is the problem with breaking oil down, once the oil gets broken down its useless thus can be harmful. That is why if you have not changed it in along time it tends to be black and runny.

My advise would be if you just daily drive it 3k is fine, if you go to the track and beat the hell out of it you might want to change it more often.

ANOTHER important comment if you have a brand new motor DO NOT use synthetic for the first 1000mi

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
It also would not hurt you to prime the filter. In other words prefill the oil filter with oil, it helps with the first time you start the car just take your time the filter should take about a half of a quart of oil. This will take alittle time to fill just pour the oil in the center hole of the filter and let it sit a couple of seconds and you will see the oil go down and repeat until it stops. Just take your time a save alot of money and do not over tighten anything or over fill with oil.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
In repsonse to running the 5W20 per the manufacter recommedations. Im sure that it would be fine if you were running the car in stock trim, but almost everyone I know is not running stock. I took a look at the 5W20 one day and I have to tell you with the punishment these engines go thru I dont see that weight of oil holding up...its almost like water in my book. If you take a look under the hood of any ford vehicle in the last 5 years or so they all say 5W20. As far as im concerned I dont put my car in the same catergory as say an SUV or passenger car. 5W20 might work in the winter time but 90% of us put them up for storage. I would run 10W40 during the warm months just to play it safe.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
oil oil oil.... one of my favorite old topics. Stock, 5W20. At most you should only use a 10W30, but a 5w30 is fine. 5w20 is strictly for CAFE emissions.

10w40 is TOO THICK. We have very tight tolerances on these motors, you should not go higher than a 30 viscosity. You may think you are protecting it more because of the heat stability, but you are hindering the flow. Oil flow keeps things cooler.

Owners manual says SIX (6) quarts. I don't know what the heck is with people thinking it's 7 or 5. Wow... I'm surprised.

6.5 should be your max fill. 6 is the true limit, with maybe a little room for more. Overfilling is worse than underfilling.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
It seems everyone goes with the 5W20- 5W30 and Mobil-One is the overall choice. I ran that since having my car and my most recent oil change was some Royal Purple 10W-40. I may just kabosh spending $8 a quart and go back. I tried Castrol Full Sythetic a couple times and heard it was a step up from Mobil? Anyone know different? :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info