• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Holy hell Tylers junk runs!!

confirmed engine in my s1x setup is now a junk #5 cylinder. :tear:

cylinder #5 on the front bank next to the trans has zero compression like doesnt even move the gauge. others on the front were about 160 psi each and rear bank about 180 on all 3.

does run if i jump it since i think the battery froze while sitting when i was gone. think its worth pulling the front head and see if that piston on #5 is history?

idles like a 5 cylinder pretty rough but doesnt sound like a cement truck so i dont think a piston is laying in the pan or hole in the block no oil on the ground either. cranks over just like normal when i did the compression test no metal clunky noises so i dont think the rotating assembly is demolished.

i really think with 18#s of boost on e85 and 2.8 pulley i lifted the head gasket on #5 cylinder. :dunno:

derp prolly should have had a valve cover breather on it. i dont think i had any knock when this happened i didnt see any on the aero force. that doesnt mean the cylinder pressure on #5 wasnt really high and the e85 just drowned out the knock.

oil looks fine on the dip stick and no coolant in the heads when i took the valve covers off both banks.

:fu:

so what do i do from here?

1. use cheap jy sc engine and put gen5 on that and s1x cam back in it?

2. use cheap jy na engine with s1x cam gen5 and e85 setup same setup as current just higher comp block?

3. use cheap jy high compression na engine with l26 metal upper and hv3 insert and use turbo kit i have sitting here? (maybe even stuff st5 cam in it i also have sitting here or reuse s1x?)

4. pray i get one of these 3 fed tech jobs im interviewing for slap this back together 100% stock supercharged jy engine and punt it down the street with a forsale sign?

hardest pill to swallow is #4 since at the very least it would make a good winter slut and if i get one of these jobs im eyeing up a brand new white track pack mustang or barebones v8 6th gen for as cheap as i can get into a v8 model.

thought of robbing coilovers off caged shell slam this bronzemist car on the pregens and mickey thompsons with turbo kit and drive it until 2017 when i go back to wash dc and not have a monster car payment.

dont really want a payment but if i land the new job a new mustang or camaro is damn tempting!

air compressor coming easter weekend and ohh now all the naysayers will get to see that indeed i can wrench in a 2 car garage with just hand tools and a cherry picker...... i dont own a shop and im no vendor.... :rofl:

:s00ls: :fy: :ws:

wreck rebuilt repeat!

new house heated AND ghetto window ac'd garage gets an extra :fy: :rofl:

Last edited:

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
I cannot speak with omniscience when it comes to your current issue, but was the #5 plug smashed when you pulled it out? That right there should tell you whether or not the piston is still a whole version of himself. I would definitely say that pulling the head off would be a worthwhile endeavor.

As far as what the future may hold, I have had thoughts of several different routes over the course of owning my car. For reference, it sounds like my setup is comparable to yours (XP, E85, 2.8, blah blah blah). It put down 337whp at ZZP after having it dyno tuned.

Here are my thoughts, assuming your block ends up being toast:

Option 1 is most definitely the easiest. Slap in a new shortblock and carry on with your life.

Option 2 is also without major inconvenience. You may have to take a closer look at that tune of yours though, as your margin for error will now be smaller. I like being able to abuse my car every time I get behind the wheel. Lower compression brings me comfort in doing such a thing.

Option 3 involves changing more things than I would have the desire to do. Especially when I already have a functional SC setup. The power that comes with a turbo also has the ability to shred a "built" trans. All of this typically kills thoughts of going turbo pretty quickly.

Option 4- In my opinion, selling these cars won't bring even close to enough money to be worth it. The values are so low, you are better off keeping it.

I vote option 1.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
turbo kit is all here laying in a box. along with a ton of other parts only reason im torn about using the turbo kit is the caged roller shell i have is patiently waiting for its turn in the garage currently parked outside next to it.

yes i agree selling wouldnt be worth it this is a damn clean car rust wise rockers and strut towers are nice and under 100k miles even.

trans has 7/8s chain tep vb uogrades some hard parts like input and output and pump shaft.

no mega buck gmr parts tho.

engine ordeal happened last april right before i went to afghanistan limped car to garage and its sat since moving to new house.

yes #5 plug tip was smashed just the strap was gone electrode was fine just strap gone so i dont know how smashed youd call that. likely a chipped piston i guess. need to pull that head like you said. its already got to come out ill take it off when its out of the car. need to get 105# springs and ti retainers off it anyways.

na bottom end im not scared of on this tune again this happened in april last year the e85 blend at the time prolly wasnt that good. new setup will have electric exhaust cut out installed and aem wideband too for more to keep an eye on for engine health. i do have hptuner so can adjust it if need be.

x2 on the similar setups i have dyno sheets from previous owner in ohio 330whp 400wtq

:h5:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
If the plug was damaged 99% chance a piece of piston hit it, stock motor, sell everything else and get a base model mustang and a blower, I found a place that will sell you a brand new base model mustang with a roush stage 2 blower kit 727 crank hp for 39k

more info on this you speak of. i just want a white v8 auto with recaros and a blower would be awesome too!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
didn't read responses. I've been around these 3800 assholes for about 10 years now and all I've learned is you're wasting your time with anything that isn't on fire in a junkyard or putting a turbo on it.

anyone who is SERIOUS about building a car and spending more than a few grand should be moving to a real platform with a real aftermarket and actual potential to do something besides blow up overpriced transmissions and burn outs bc fwd

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
didn't read responses. I've been around these 3800 assholes for about 10 years now and all I've learned is you're wasting your time with anything that isn't on fire in a junkyard or putting a turbo on it.

anyone who is SERIOUS about building a car and spending more than a few grand should be moving to a real platform with a real aftermarket and actual potential to do something besides blow up overpriced transmissions and burn outs bc fwd

i smell what you sayin turbo and..........

:hk:

:rofl:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
White auto with black wheels, throw a full exhaust on it and a converter, have Lund re tune it and have a bottom 10's high 9's car

iffffffffff i can land one of these fed tech jobs i can stomach a 5-600 dollar payment and sell all this shiz for bolt ons.

stop talking like this.

white track pack sitting in town here at the dealer is so sexy needs to be auto tho because racecar.

Thread Info