Where to buy Sushi Grade Fish in the NW burbs

boost21

Reaction score
Over the last year or so I have been teaching myself how to make sushi at home and finally think I would like to try using raw salmon/tuna. Any recommendations on where to go or where to avoid to get something fresh that wont kill me?

muskie

Reaction score
H Mart in Niles has sushi grade tuna and salmon. Mitsuwa probably does but that place is so dirty I hate going in the grocery store part

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
H Mart in Niles has sushi grade tuna and salmon. Mitsuwa probably does but that place is so dirty I hate going in the grocery store part
:rofl:

Yeah I've never tried to buy anything "fresh" in Mitsuwa...only prepackaged stuff...I like that place, but it's really taken a dive in quality/cleanliness in the last 10 years or so

boost21

Reaction score
What about H-Mart Schaumburg? That area is much closer to my house. I could go to Niles from work but it would be out of the way by a bit.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a higher end grocery like Mariano's or Whole Foods?

I've bought tuna steaks at Mariano's before, but were for searing. Ask the sushi counter guy where he's getting his fish from, maybe it's from the seafood section?

boost21

Reaction score
Have you tried a higher end grocery like Mariano's or Whole Foods?

I've bought tuna steaks at Mariano's before, but were for searing. Ask the sushi counter guy where he's getting his fish from, maybe it's from the seafood section?
Thats a good suggestion, I could ask. There was a "Fresh Market" Grocery store near my work that had nice cuts of fish with their sushi selection but of course it is now closed lol

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Supreme Lobster Villa Park

muskie

Reaction score
What about H-Mart Schaumburg? That area is much closer to my house. I could go to Niles from work but it would be out of the way by a bit.
No idea. I know that one is way smaller. I just crept through all their photos on Google and they do have a full seafood counter / meat counter with live / fresh fish. There was a yelp review saying they had sushi grade options.

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
This.

End Thread. These guys have species you have never thought of, on a daily basis.

This supplier even made Andrew Zimmern's show a while ago. He's the 'Bizarre Foods' Dude.

If they say something is a certain quality level, I would be very prone to believe them.

boost21

Reaction score
This.

End Thread. These guys have species you have never thought of, on a daily basis.

This supplier even made Andrew Zimmern's show a while ago. He's the 'Bizarre Foods' Dude.

If they say something is a certain quality level, I would be very prone to believe them.

This place is right by me and I found them while searching. The store looks pretty small but good reviews are what I was looking for. Ill swing by this weekend and see whats there! :jg:

Kaeghl

Reaction score
super h mart in naperville is the best.
Mistuya kind of sucks 60% of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom