Where my fellow fatties

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I need some accountability. I've put on some quarantine weight and it needs to come off.

I'm 6 feet tall, saw 243 on the scale the other day. I haven't been to the gym for a year and have generally f'd off for most of that time.

What has worked for me in the past is a combination of IF and lazy Keto and weights at the gym, so that's my plan. So far this week I'm back on IF, but not lazy Keto, easing back into it. Already getting some headaches which is a good sign.

Reactions: Shawn1112

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I don't bother with specific diet plans. I just try to eat in moderation and pay attention to calories I'm eating. Try to find things in your diet that are high fat, high sugar, carbs, etc and try to find a lower calorie or healthier alternative to replace them:

Some basic examples:
-Soda/pop, substitute Iced tea
-White bread, substitute whole grain bread
-Cereal, substitute plain oatmeal with fresh fruit and no sweetener
-Salad dressing, substitute vinegar and oil
-Mayo, substitute mustard or low fat miracle whip
-For snacks, I like fresh veggies and hummus in place of things like chips or pretzels

I also try to weigh myself every morning to keep myself accountable. If I see my weight starting to increase, I can quickly get it under control by reducing my calorie intake or getting more exercise into my day. For exercise just try to find anything to get yourself moving throughout the day and make it a routine. If you can't get to the gym, go for a walk on your lunch break or after work. 2 or 3 ten minute walks a day are a great way to burn some extra calories and they are a nice mental break from the day.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I don't bother with specific diet plans. I just try to eat in moderation and pay attention to calories I'm eating. Try to find things in your diet that are high fat, high sugar, carbs, etc and try to find a lower calorie or healthier alternative to replace them:

Some basic examples:
-Soda/pop, substitute Iced tea
-White bread, substitute whole grain bread
-Cereal, substitute plain oatmeal with fresh fruit and no sweetener
-Salad dressing, substitute vinegar and oil
-Mayo, substitute mustard or low fat miracle whip
-For snacks, I like fresh veggies and hummus in place of things like chips or pretzels

I also try to weigh myself every morning to keep myself accountable. If I see my weight starting to increase, I can quickly get it under control by reducing my calorie intake or getting more exercise into my day. For exercise just try to find anything to get yourself moving throughout the day and make it a routine. If you can't get to the gym, go for a walk on your lunch break or after work. 2 or 3 ten minute walks a day are a great way to burn some extra calories and they are a nice mental break from the day.

i enjoyed half a lime and soda water in thailand, although did not find as tasty a soda water in the states. i'll occasionally drink some diet coke as i use it in my protein brownies too. imho no reason to stay away from non-sugar sweeteners unless you get some digestive issues.

keto/low carb bread i like because it tends to be eggy and/or low calorie as well. walmart had some kind of 1g carb advertised bread that was quite low calorie. i had awesome macros using it in a bread/egg/cinnamon/casserole type of thing.

you can get light mayo from hellman's then i think online, lighter than light. also low/no sugar/salt ketchup (i don't mind salt intake). what are your veggie snacks LikeABauce302 LikeABauce302 ? it's not low calories/but is high volume - i like tossing a whole bag worth of brussel sprouts into the air fryer and nomming down on them.

daily weighings seems far too often, i would go for weekly ones under a same standard, eg. naked in the morning pre or post poop on sundays or something. might be worth getting a body fat % impedance measuring scale, although fairly inaccurate, at least same unit over time you should be able to see a positive trend of reduced body fat. some other thoughts in another post...

Reactions: LikeABauce302

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
why go on IF and keto if you don't stick with it and gain stuff later again?

what is your gym routine?
This.

If you couldn't make keto stick the first time, don't repeat the same mistake. IF is fine but keto is very unsustainable. Most people are either 100% in or 100% out (meaning no keto AND a calorie surplus), and they never stay 100% in for very long.

Use myfitnesspal or carbon diet coach to determine your maintenance calories, and go from there. CDC is better because it adjusts based on your goals, weigh-ins, etc. MFP is just a tracking app.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I got married and gained 20 Lbs, pandemic I put on 20 more. Since wife and I decided to move and just do it and fuck the pandemic Iā€™ve dropped 30 lbs in 6 months All due to daily 30 min bike rides, walking the dogs, and working on the house. Iā€™ve never watched what I eat or drink except for alcohol and soda and Iā€™m half Filipino and ainā€™t nobody taking my rice. Lol.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
re: diet

i've gone kind of the body builder route of trying to make high volume/low calorie/high protein foods, that taste pretty good. further down the scale is a general carb reduction if i can. eg. my (protein) pancakes use spelt flour vs. white flour. it is lower on the glycemic index and has less carbs; it is certainly not something a keto person could use though. note that volume might make you feel fuller, but things like fat or certain other carby foods (taters) make you feel more satiated.

dunno your make vs. buy but kind of enjoy the ritual of making some things now, particularly baking. maybe because it's a bit of an art/science and fun to try substitutions. i'll do my pancakes and/or brownie and/or cinnamon thing at least once a day. why high in protein?

- protein has a high thermic effect - it takes more energy to break it down than fat or carbs. so you'll burn some of your intake here.
- if you're lifting (you should be lifting) you need sufficient protein for creating new muscle tissue. the broscience body weight in lbs as daily grams target of protein seems a good target.
- if you're in a calorie deficit, your body will not burn fat. it will burn fat and muscle. you can help stem the cannibalization of your muscle by eating more protein. but you should also lift to say "i need this, don't take it from here"

buy a food scale down to 0.1 grams and measure your stuff. at least have a clue about serving sizes and what you eat to start. i would write things down (if you truly get tired of tracking this anally, you don't need to do it, but i would advise it to start just so you have a clue about your intake and what x amount of calories looks like in food y)

as far as buying stuff, protein bar is great in the city (buffalo chicken) and chipotle is great everywhere. going veg heavy and leaning towards spicy foods in general you can have tasty volume.

if you get anal about your tracking, you can basically eat anything and lose weight, just incorporating it into your diet. i had triple cheeseburgers and brownies constantly in thailand. this was in part because i tossed my bottom bun away and ate the burger with a knife and fork, paired it with a cup of corn from 7-11 (usually), my brownies were my creations, and my overall calorie burn was high. you can eat whatever your favorite foods are if you leave room to accommodate them. note: eating an entire purchased pizza however will make this a bit of a challenge, that one is actually tough :D

there seem to be some longevity or growth hormone benefits from IF; not sure i'd be down for that as a long term lifestyle change. as far as weight loss, all i think you're primarily doing is forcing yourself to stick to eating less meals though. eg. the night or work or whatever snack you avoid if you stick to a large IF window religiously. now that my work/life timezone is the same, i might try some kind of non-eating window vs. eating all the fucking time, meh we'll see. my own routine won't stabilize for another week once i move into a semi-permanent living situation.

re: supplements

you don't want to be too restrictive on foods as you can end up with deficiencies if you only focus on macros. eg. if i only ate all my protein concoctions i'd be fucked on various vitamins and micronutrients for sure. so try and get in a variety of veggies. i take a daily multi-vitamin and pee most of it surely, seems a decent thing to still get something out of.

i take a fish oil tablet too. really the big thing that i think matters though is 5g of creatine spread across 2 meals daily. i also use lots of protein powder. casein, whey, used to have some unflavored but vanilla you can kind of put in anything and can adjust to chocolate with cocoa powder. so i recommend a good tasting vanilla. IMHO hard to hit a protein goal of body weight efficiently (with less fat/carb calories) w/o protein powder.

re: activity

110% you should be lifting. this does not actually burn all that many calories. but it does tell your body to keep muscle. it will help you recomp your body as well. i don't do any real cardio (don't enjoy it) but if you do, probably want to stagger completely (like lift in morning, cardio evening) or stagger days. my muay thai in a way probably counts a little as that (and does burn a ton of calories) but IMHO i would not advise you to go run a 5k every day. however i would advise you to walk 10k fitbit steps every day. park far from jewel when you go grocer shopping. go find your breakfast spot with a compatible macro meal and walk to there every day or something. i could walk every day to get a shakshuka in thailand, with no bread or keto bread that was like the best meal/activity ever.

rather than cut calories, if you want to eat nummy things, just add steps and fit the food into your calories burned/consumed equation. you could add straight cardio but i think it is kind of the enemy of gainz in the gym. and that new muscle you add will help eat your calories so you want to maximize those. also get 8 hours of sleep for muscle building/fat burning/mental health/etc - although i literally never do. there are calorie consumption calculators you can use online, although i posted in the workout thread that i got a dexa scan upon returning from thailand and did a resting metabolic rate test as well - i came in reasonably under what common online calculators said i would burn in a day just doing nothing. so keep in mind those can be off, and if you're on a fine line, you could think you're in a deficit based on some online calculator and even religiously tracking your food intake - but the reality is your own body might be at maintenance at that point instead.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
LOL I'm half Japanese and I heart that, I need my rice too.

Prior to the quarantine, I was a regular weight lifter at the gym, and I plan attend again starting this week.

I've never done strict Keto, it's not sustainable for me, but lazy works. I never had luck with apps like myfitnesspal, bugs for me for some reason. I consider myself pretty well researched on Keto / Carbs / Sugars. Prior to CV I would eat in an 8 hour window, avoided all obvious sugars and carbs but again more of a casual approach.

My big problem during quarantine was initially heavy drinking and eating a 3rd meal at 1AM lol. I haven't really been drinking for 10-11 months though it was fun last summer. As for having 2 hot dogs and chips at 1AM I will miss that.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
what are your veggie snacks LikeABauce302 LikeABauce302 ? it's not low calories/but is high volume - i like tossing a whole bag worth of brussel sprouts into the air fryer and nomming down on them.

I like raw veggies. I will slice up a green pepper and put it in a zip lock bag and pack it with my lunch/snacks I take to work. I also like raw broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. I've read a lot of debate on baby carrots having too much sugar, processed with chemicals, etc, but it's mostly all myth from my research. Still way healthier than nomming on a bag of chips.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Here is a group of pictures I compiled a while back:

blue shirt left 245, 2011
mt dew shirt 205, pre gym
white shirt some gym
black shirt more gym
weight.jpg

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
sickmint79 sickmint79 I appreciate your comments I'm a big fan of many of the points you made as well as the other points made by you guys.

I'm happy that there are more low carb bread options now, I used to order mine online but most chains carry stuff like Aunt Millie's, though I've yet to find a local store that carries their hot dog buns.

I do enjoy cooking quite a bit, would even call it a hobby of sorts. My wife tends to cook carb heavy meals (lasagna, pasta), so lazy keto is more workable, I just try to manage my portions.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I've hit a plateau with my weight in the last couple months.

In college (2007-2012) I was 175 lbs
2012-2017 I gradually got heavier and heavier as I travelled for work and went back to school. I hit a high score of 235 lbs in 2017.

I changed jobs in February 2018 and stopped traveling for work. Finally in 2019 I got back into the gym and got my weight down to around 215. Pandemic happened and I luckily came out of 2020 around 200 lbs. Now I'm hovering in the upper 190s. I'm 5'10", so I would like to get down to around 180.

My cholesterol also seems to go up if I just drive past a Portillo's, so I'm trying my best to get in more cardio exercise and keep my weight in check.

Reactions: Pro Stock John

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I like raw veggies. I will slice up a green pepper and put it in a zip lock bag and pack it with my lunch/snacks I take to work. I also like raw broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. I've read a lot of debate on baby carrots having too much sugar, processed with chemicals, etc, but it's mostly all myth from my research. Still way healthier than nomming on a bag of chips.

ah i need a dip or to air fry broccoli or cauliflower or something. after eating less sugar these do taste better though, like for my first 40 years of life i couldn't have cared less about any peppers, now eating a raw green to red one, which i don't usually do as i cook them, but just nibbling at it while cutting them up - they taste great.

sickmint79 sickmint79 I appreciate your comments I'm a big fan of many of the points you made as well as the other points made by you guys.

I'm happy that there are more low carb bread options now, I used to order mine online but most chains carry stuff like Aunt Millie's, though I've yet to find a local store that carries their hot dog buns.

I do enjoy cooking quite a bit, would even call it a hobby of sorts. My wife tends to cook carb heavy meals (lasagna, pasta), so lazy keto is more workable, I just try to manage my portions.

i had some kind of cabbage lasagna a guy made for a home hosted meal in thailand. it tasted delicious. you can probably get away with some substitute noodles too. but so much sauce and cheese involved in the lasagna it's probably an easier conversion. portions are tough for me outside of me making something only for myself in one sitting!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Staying on Keto is probably easier for me because I cook almost all the food I eat. Rarely go out for food and then eat a salad with Italian dressing or something like that.

If you have been following the Keto thread, you know I started at 6', 225 and am now 189. Around 10 Lbs. or so to go.

I have found some tolerable Keto bread and buns on the web. Most of them are a combo of almond flour and cheeses. "High Falutin' Low Carb" is a good channel on youtube if you want to see Keto/low carb products made and compared for flavor.

Stay strong and good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Pro Stock John

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I made some Keto hot dog buns yesterday, ate one of them as a steak sandwich and froze the rest. They are supposed to last for 4-6 months frozen although I eat them way faster than that. I grilled a burger today, sliced one of the buns and put it on the grill, too. Very acceptable cheeseburger although the bun is Almonds rather than Wheat. Nobody will think it's a real bun but the taste isn't bad.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
here's my biggest calorie pet peeve - service people when you ask for a little of something. eg. a little mayo and they put on 90-100% of the normal amount. i prefer my coffee almost black, with the tiniest splash of cream. i can't do this myself now because of covid of course. it doesn't matter what i say, they will always put more in than what i want. at the coffee shop i just left, i asked for a small amount. muy muy pequeno. poquito. she spoke english, i said very small amount. what did i get? like 1.5" of room left that they then steamed and filled up with milk. i mean yeah it tastes great. but now my 5 cal coffee is 55 cal. plus this becomes something i drink vs. sip now too. kinda not a big deal, kinda whining as this does annoy me.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Can you get the condiments on the side and do it yourself?

pretty sure starbucks considers everyone edward covidhands, thus the no creamer reasoning. no different down here.

actually in mexico i'm having to abide by the most daily covid stuff, interesting given a lack of any quarantine as well as low vax rates.

basically need a mask on in public all the time. i did my first muay thai lesson yesterday - wore it there too. might go to gym tonight, suppose i'll need it there also, have never used it in a gym before. muay thai was particularly not fun, because it got sweaty as fuck, and it hardly helps to be sucking this thing in when i'm vo2 maxing some warm up then blasting on 30 push ups then punching shit etc.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Flyn I have followed your Keto thread, great job on hitting 189 at your height. I'm the same height and tend to stall out in the mid 210s.

Regarding the bread comments, personally I like the low carb breads available, worst case they just taste like mediocre versions. I just had two slices of the Carb Smart wheat, was pretty good.

Veggies + a dip sounds great, I did a bit of that last year.

I like protein Keto type snacks, meat sticks, cheese, I'm not much of a sweets / cookie guy.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'd be on board for some goal setting/accountability thing, just not sure what structure would work best and wouldn't want to take the reins at leading anything

as noted in some other threads, and the main one i have on it, i also bet like $4000 on me losing weight in various increments [4 weeks to 6 months] as well as achieving a certain amount of fitbit steps [with no history you'll have a 600k steps after 60 days goal, which is super doable by almost anyone] - healthywage and dietbet were the sites.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info