Where do you buy your ammo?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been trying to find a place that sells ammo online and actually ships to IL.

I've tried to order some bulk Federal 12G 250/BX on Bass Pro, Sportsmansguide, etc. All say they are restricted to shipping ammo to IL. I've checked with a bunch of local vendors, even walmart, and none sell the ammo I want in the package quantity I'd like.

I've checked state laws, and, from what I've seen, there are no laws against shipping ammo to IL residents as long as the buyer is 21 years of age and can provide a FOID card number or a copy of it if requested by the seller. Bass pro won't budge at all and they had a decent price.

Any suggestions?

-Chris

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Ammunitionstore.com

They have my FOID on file, every purchase has gone perfectly. Get sales and discounts mailed to me, sometimes the discount covers shipping and then some...

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've tried to order some bulk Federal 12G 250/BX on Bass Pro, Sportsmansguide, etc. All say they are restricted to shipping ammo to IL. I've checked with a bunch of local vendors, even walmart, and none sell the ammo I want in the package quantity I'd like.

I've checked state laws, and, from what I've seen, there are no laws against shipping ammo to IL residents as long as the buyer is 21 years of age and can provide a FOID card number or a copy of it if requested by the seller. Bass pro won't budge at all and they had a decent price.

Any suggestions?

-Chris

I am a fan of .

https://www.freedommunitions.com/

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

Tight Lines

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have used Ammo to go but recently I have been buying from Gander mountain when they have sales and then ship it to the closest store.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback.

I thought about doing the store-to-store, but, Bass pro is over 30 miles one way and Gander is about 20-25 miles, if not more. Not really cost-effective if I have to spend $10 in gas to pick up bullets on top of the prices.

Right now, Bass pro and two other stores sell 250 rounds of shotgun ammo target load for $65 bucks and offer free shipping over $75. Good price, but, I want to try and keep the cost down as much as possible and also avoid driving almost 2 hours round trip to get ammo.

I'll keep searching to find someone that is willing to ship to residences in IL or stores that are closer.

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of www.freedommunitions.com.

I've shot both their new and reman stuff. Either works great. They ship to Illinois and cook county with no issues. Just scan a copy of your FOID and drivers license and email it to them with our order number after you purchase. The address on your FOID, drivers license, and shipping address must all match up.

They often have free shipping and 5 or 10 percent off deals.

It's good quality range ammo and I would even feel comfortable using their XTP ammo for carry rounds. I've shot a few thousand rounds of their 9mm and .380 with maybe only 2 or 3 rounds that jammed.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Buying ammo online is pretty easy actually. Just place the order online, take a pic on your smartphone of your FOID card, email it to the vendor with your order number. They'll link it up and ship it out.

blck10th

Reaction score
Buying ammo online is pretty easy actually. Just place the order online, take a pic on your smartphone of your FOID card, email it to the vendor with your order number. They'll link it up and ship it out.

This. It's super easy. Unless you live in crook county. No one wants to ship you anything

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
This. It's super easy. Unless you live in crook county. No one wants to ship you anything
So far, I've called Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Midway USA, Bucksgunshop and none of them will accept a copy of FOID and ship to IL.

They can only ship to a store and again, we are talking decent drives to Gander or Bass Pro for ammo.

I found some Hornady ammo I want at Misha's Gun shop in Vernon Hills and the other bulk ammo I want at Dicks' in AH. Going to swing by those shops.

Thanks for the input guys!

mike2ss

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?

-Chris

I buy ammo all the time from Sportsmans Guide. As a matter of fact there's 500 rounds of green tip waiting at my door now. Do you live in Cook county? That's the only restriction I've seen online sellers have.

blck10th

Reaction score
Just bought some hornaday flex lock 9mm from them. Cheaper than anywhere I could find it.

Thought about doing the membership there. Do you have one? If so too save that through the year?

mike2ss

Reaction score
Thought about doing the membership there. Do you have one? If so too save that through the year?

I joined only because I bought a $900 upper and they were 10% cheaper than the manufacturer. When you join you get 10% off. So it more than paid for the membership. Their regular prices aren't that great, but I get emails from them almost daily and started noticing that they have sales all the time, or double discounts, or free shipping. So I started buying other parts and ammo when the price was right. Then I bought another upper so the membership has more than paid for itself. I've easily spent $3500 in four months with them.

GenXisT

Reaction score
Mostly from Walmart or Cabela's cuz both are close to home and I don't have to pay shipping costs. Plus here, we don't need ID or any silly cards.

But I found this site and I'm eventually gonna order shit online because it's a collection of all sorts of deals from everywhere on everything...

https://www.slickguns.com/

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Mostly from Walmart or Cabela's cuz both are close to home and I don't have to pay shipping costs. Plus here, we don't need ID or any silly cards.
You may not be paying shipping costs, but you're paying about 50% markup on the total buying from there in Cook County. You have no idea how much you can save buying ammo online apparently.

I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm online for $190 shipped. At Cabelas for the same ammo, you're looking at about $300 after taxes and their fees.

mike2ss

Reaction score
You may not be paying shipping costs, but you're paying about 50% markup on the total buying from there in Cook County. You have no idea how much you can save buying ammo online apparently.

I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm online for $190 shipped. At Cabelas for the same ammo, you're looking at about $300 after taxes and their fees.

I just bought 1000 9mm CCI Blazer 124 gr RN brass for $208. Ammo is not created equal so when you quote prices you should say what it is you bought. But anyone who buys ammo local is paying too much even if it's on sale.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I just bought 1000 9mm CCI Blazer 124 gr RN brass for $208. Ammo is not created equal so when you quote prices you should say what it is you bought. But anyone who buys ammo local is paying too much even if it's on sale.
The aluminum or brass cased Blazer ammo? If it was brass that's a decent deal. Blazer is a bit dirty, but its still decent range ammo.

The stuff I got was new brass cased freedom munitions ammo, shipped from their company. 115gr RN

mike2ss

Reaction score
The aluminum or brass cased Blazer ammo? If it was brass that's a decent deal. Blazer is a bit dirty, but its still decent range ammo.

The stuff I got was new brass cased freedom munitions ammo, shipped from their company. 115gr RN

It's brass. Bought it on Tuesday from Sportsmansguide. On sale, free shipping and another 5% off for members. It was a 20% sale but only 5% this time for ammo. Just have to keep watching their daily emails for deals and be prepared to buy right away. I usually check AmmoSeek to verify the price is good.

GenXisT

Reaction score

I live in Arizona.

So many of the places online that have cheaper ammo turn around and charge for shipping.

I'd rather just drive 2 miles to the store and pay the tax AND have the ammo instantly rather than wait as well...

cobra_spence

Old Time User
Reaction score
Getting 12ga ammo shipped for free is a challenge. I agree with Grabber that some of the lower cost online places that have the selection of shot along with free shipping tend to not ship to Illinois. I generally find that for 7.5-8 shot Walmart has a stable price, Dicks has sales from time to time, and when you find Cabelas having a sale, they put a call this number on their site when IL comes up. I do not know if they ship to IL or not, but it may be worth the attempt. I am lucky enough to travel to other states on occasion and picked up a couple thousand 12 ga in #8 down in Alabama a few weeks ago. For my regular center fire shells I usually hit Wideners or SGammo. If you find a place that will ship a few thousand rounds of 12 ga to IL, please post it up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom