Where are you hoping to retire to, where do you realistically expect to retire and why??

Chris91LX

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 2, 2008
Crystal Lake
Florida here, I like the Sarasota area and same with the wife, we both would rather be their sooner then later in life, a lot sooner if possible. Start a mid life retirement ... meaning enjoy the outdoors more with our kids, and just not show up when we retire.
Sarasota is in my area. PM me when you're ready and I'll fill you in on the area and find you something that suits you well. Siesta Key if you like more vacation traffic, the town has outdoor restaurants, bars, a Bears bar (SKOB) and a lot of happy vacationers. Plus one of the best beaches in the world. Long Boat Key, to the north, is more secluded but has St. Armand's Circle which has all the restaurants, bars, car shows that you would want. The mainland has the bigger city of Sarasota and lower prices than the Keys. The further you get from the water, the cheaper prices get.

This^ Parents are currently snow birds with a place in Sarasota and my wife and I have considered moving down in a few years to be able to help them out as they are getting older. My wife just wants to go somewhere warm, I'm not sure I could live there full time because of the heat in the summer. I love the Sarasota area, great food and lots to do. I just need to be close to a drag strip, and with Bradenton Motorsports Park and Orlando Speed World, that itch could be scratched easily. I know quite a few racers down that way too which makes it nice. I'd also like to be close to a major airport (within 2 hours) so I could travel easily and Tampa would fit that nicely. Not sure I'll be retiring anytime soon, but they have jobs down there too.

Siesta Key sucks on season, way too much traffic with only one main road in and out, but the beach is awesome. We spent 25 years going down to Anna Maria Island which is nice too.

If the parents weren't in the equation, I'd probably be looking somewhere more rural like KY, TN or GA. I'd like to build a big shop with a couple lifts so I could tinker with cars all day every day. I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy it.

Reactions: frank

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Plan is to scrape and sacrifice until my daughter finishes HS in 6 years. Sell house which is our nest egg. Buy a property in Mexico and a condo near the kids. Motor home for a couple of years.
I would never let liberals or political beliefs dictate where I live. NFG before Trump. NFG after Trump.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Man, life is going to change so much between now and when I could potentially retire. It’s tough to put a nail in anything concrete. Currently 33, rent, have a roommate and a GF2.5 years. In the next 3-4 years that could be married, child(ren), home owner.

I’m with FirstWorldProblems N20GT . Worrying about the financial part right now and details later.

Dream retirement: USVI somewhere, small 2br house and a boat in the harbor, run fishing charters and sightseeing tours a few days a week to keep busy

Dream retirement #2: small cabin in MN or northern WI for 3 seasons+ small house in KY/TN to winter in.

I have zero idea what my gf wants to do in retirement. She doesn’t seem to plan much beyond a couple years ahead. “Somewhere not cold”

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

That's the fun part, you can wish for anything!!!
I'm expecting some to say Moon or Mars??
You can settle when time comes, but wishing doesn't hurt a damn thing, and might even bring a little happiness to your daily grind??

Oh absolutely. It’s fun to think about and pretty far away for most of us. Far enough away that a dream sounds realistic :bowrofl:

• Love
Reactions: MrDragster1970

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Truthfully, my daughter will be a senior in college next year and is a dance major. Plans to tour for a couple years, then open her own studio. My expectations are we will have to support her until she can become a successful owner. And where ever the studio is will be where we end up.

Reactions: Shawn1112

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

I will inherit a house there at some point and have family already living there. For me the move to Mexico should be pretty seamless since I was born there and it would be just like going back.

I do plan to head down there when I’m 55 and live off rental income and then once I reach retirement age I’ll get full benefits and my pension from a previous employer.

for all those that are scared of going to Mexico you’d miss out on a LOT by being scared of something that is so unlikely to happen to you anyway, the cartels don’t regularly mess with normal everyday folks even less gringos so yeah no more dangerous than some of the big cities in the US

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
RV, a small place on a lake, and some land around it, preferably wooded with some trails.

I'm working on that also!! 16 acres, fishing pond and a big ass shop.
Who in the hell needs a 3-4,000 foot house, give me a bed, ice box and a place to play all day, I'm good to go.

92700244_683018665795870_4698510161000529920_o.jpg

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm in the area I want to retire. Now I just need a house. Plan is to get a house on Lake Tahoe or near it within the next 3-5 years. Eventually I do want a lakefront house I think with a dock. Go boating in the summer, and ski minutes away in the winter. If there's a way to get snowmobile and atv access from my house that'd be icing on the cake. Currently there's atv and dirt bike trails behind my house now, but since I'm in a new development, there's no room to store all my toys. Snowmobile and race car in the garage, truck in the driveway. Might shoot for a 3-4 car garage for the next house, no neighbors and lots of land.

Second option/ or build on the first option. House in Mexico, or Caribbean. Probably not full time as I love the mountains and snow, but warm water, diving and laying on the beach with some rum, isn't a bad way to live IMO.

Reactions: Aircal

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I have heard the same about Panama, Costa Rica, Philippines, Thailand, and even surprisingly Columbia.

We took a Caribbean cruise last year and every island I took a non tourist tour around the islands and ask to see where the "common" people live and the the guide would point out the ex pat enclaves. I would ask the avg home price and rent to get an idea of the financial viability. If someone has residual income that they might not be able to live comfortably on here they can live like a King elsewhere.
Liquidate everything, go find a welcoming island in the Caribbean and be an ex-pat. I've seen too many episodes of "Island Life", dammit.

I've heard Panama was a good place to head to. They like the USD, China has been dumping tons of cash into the country so lots of new and reliable infrastructure, and IIRC, no taxes. I got a friend in Costa Rica that's been there for 20+ years. Said if he had to do it again, he'd go to Panama.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I had a distant uncle move from Chicago (gave me his furniture) to Mexico and never came back. He enjoyed himself until his end of life. And I also heard that it's safer than being here where everyone can be a random target.

I will inherit a house there at some point and have family already living there. For me the move to Mexico should be pretty seamless since I was born there and it would be just like going back.

I do plan to head down there when I’m 55 and live off rental income and then once I reach retirement age I’ll get full benefits and my pension from a previous employer.

for all those that are scared of going to Mexico you’d miss out on a LOT by being scared of something that is so unlikely to happen to you anyway, the cartels don’t regularly mess with normal everyday folks even less gringos so yeah no more dangerous than some of the big cities in the US

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
One huge plus that I do need to say about staying in the Chicago area. The food is second to none.
Have you ever been anywhere else? I mean food is great here, but it’s equally as great in New Orleans, Nashville, New York to name a few. Prettymuch any big city is going to have good food

• Love
Reactions: MrDragster1970

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

I'd love to retire to Playa, but pretty pricey and I'm super jelly that your going to inherit a house there. Playa/RM is our favorite part of Mexico. Hence the reason we have been there over 10 times.

I have heard the same about Panama, Costa Rica, Philippines, Thailand, and even surprisingly Columbia.
My son and his GF love Columbia. They like it better than Mexico and claim its just as safe as Mexico if not safer.
I had a distant uncle move from Chicago (gave me his furniture) to Mexico and never came back. He enjoyed himself until his end of life. And I also heard that it's safer than being here where everyone can be a random target.
Mexico is 100% safe, the media and Trump make it sound like its absolutely horrible and unsafe. The Mexican people (minus the cartels) are the friendliest people you will ever meet. I have been in real authentic parts of Mexico, little ass towns. Ive stayed for anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. I had no issues walking around hammered at night. Went to the disco (nightclub), went to the titty bars all in the middle of nowhere. Wasnt anywhere near a tourist area. For the most part, the cartels arent going to fuck with you unless you stick your nose where it doesnt belong. They are making BILLIONS of dollars, why the fuck would they want to fuck with you for no reason at all?

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

We took a Caribbean cruise last year and every island I took a non tourist tour around the islands and ask to see where the "common" people live and the the guide would point out the ex pat enclaves. I would ask the avg home price and rent to get an idea of the financial viability. If someone has residual income that they might not be able to live comfortably on here they can live like a King elsewhere.

I know Asia is a hot spot for us to retire.
I absolutely planned for years to retire in PI.
That was before I went insane on my dragracing.

The only issue is some countries you can not own anything, so you have to rent or marry one of them and put all your investment in her name :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Many business's were owned by Americans in the area we hung out when we were in port.
So many have to keep their investments back here when they leave.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I read a few of y'all were planning on real estate for retirement.
For those who are employed (vs self employed) how many of you are in a defined pension plan and plan on retiring off of that.
I ask because a lot of jobs now have 401(k)'s and other plans where the onus is on you to pick the right stocks/funds and to be able to live off of that vs the defined where you work a certain number of years and once you reach a certain age you get a % of your salary until death.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Have you ever been anywhere else? I mean food is great here, but it’s equally as great in New Orleans, Nashville, New York to name a few. Prettymuch any big city is going to have good food
Well my overseas is limited to London and Paris. And while many locations have their strong points. I stay say Chicago is tops overall. Pizza is a food group so New York can't compete, and I dont care if you can roll it it's still taste like cardboard....lol So pizza, beef sandwiches and hot dogs pllace us above most locations. Even our steak houses are copied but seldom duplicated.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I read a few of y'all were planning on real estate for retirement.
For those who are employed (vs self employed) how many of you are in a defined pension plan and plan on retiring off of that.
I ask because a lot of jobs now have 401(k)'s and other plans where the onus is on you to pick the right stocks/funds and to be able to live off of that vs the defined where you work a certain number of years and once you reach a certain age you get a % of your salary until death.

few places have pensions anymore.

at least as far as white collar jobs, i only see them at banks. i think it took 3 years to start earning anything towards a pension when i was at us bank, unfortunately left at 2.5. they actually had both pension and 401k.

usually the 401k is limited to safer stuff, ie. mutual funds, but you can certainly get to the point where you have more control over exactly what is being invested in through them, to bite off much riskier things for better or worse.

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
Wife and I plan to retire to my wife's home country of Malaysia. In order to make that easier my wife has been simply renewing her green card here rather than becoming a citizen. We funnel significant amounts of money over there already into various investments... I'll be looking to pick up a sailing catamaran and we'll split time between that and a condo in KL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info