Where are you hoping to retire to, where do you realistically expect to retire and why??

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Never gonna happen, retirement that is.

Working 'till noon on the day of your funeral crew checking in.

I'm 28, so, this is a ways out for me. I don't want to wait until retirement to end up where I want to be. My next move will probably be 30-40 miles north over the Wisconsin border. Somewhere I can live for 20+ years before civilization catches up to me. Ideally 40+ acres, plentiful outbuildings, some assorted livestock. With Hay prices how they are now a days, I'd probably dedicate any arable land to grow hay since it's a cheap crop to get into as far as equipment goes.

If one of my business ideas starts paying out past a comfortable living, I would consider a second property in the Rockies. Probably not Colorado with the population influx so I would lean towards Montana or Wyoming. Middle of nowhere type shit.

As far as income goes, my current 5 year plan is to make my first investment real estate purchase. Probably some sort of multi-unit commercial building. I've considered residential but the headaches that accompany it turn me off to the idea.

Reactions: Flyn

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Wife and I have debated this...I don't want to be a slum lord, and shit ass renters have me worried...I'd rather just flip houses

Depending on how all of the current world atmosphere pans out, you might want to start saving for your first flip house now. 1-2 year from now there may be some good deals to be had. I'd like to flip another house in the future. As far as rentals go, look into commercial. That's the route I'm probably going to go on the advice of my lawyer and a few people far wiser than myself.

Reactions: Flyn

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Hoping to retire in 15-20 years. If things continue going well at work 15yrs will be very much doable.
Now a lot can change between now and then but my Wife and I are 100% dead set on retiring to Mexico. More than likely in the Maztalan area.
Very possible that we start building a house out there in the next 10yrs. My best friend has family there, in the next 5yrs or so his parents are going to be retiring to that area and having a house built. My buddy, myself and his Dad have had serious talks about buying a huge chunk of land in his Dads name as he has dual citizenship. Then having 3 modest homes built on that land, one for each of us. While my buddy and I are here still working we can rent it out seasonally, rent out permanently, or do the airbnb thing. With his Mom and Dad living out there among other family they can take care of everything for us.

If that doesnt work out then we are going to McAllen Texas area, 20 min from Mexico border. Have friends down in that area and your money goes a long way. The house my buddy just bought for $320k in that area is easily a $750k home here.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Depending on how all of the current world atmosphere pans out, you might want to start saving for your first flip house now. 1-2 year from now there may be some good deals to be had. I'd like to flip another house in the future. As far as rentals go, look into commercial. That's the route I'm probably going to go on the advice of my lawyer and a few people far wiser than myself.

I would go commercial WAY before residential...I’m a commercial property manager by trade and my wife is a business law attorney. It would be an easy transition. We just need the capital

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'll split this into 3 categories:
-Hope to never retire. Want to at least have a hobby job of some kind, maybe the consultancy. Maybe I'll write instead. I don't know at this point but I do know I don't want to sit around and chill at the nursing home.
-Not in IL. A state where I can get some land, maybe a bit of quiet so I can make some noise. Maybe get myself an NFA toy. Freedom is good.
-See point 1. Retirement will be something to keep my mind functional and enjoying the world. You lose wonder with the world pack it the fuck in you're done.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Sarasota is in my area. PM me when you're ready and I'll fill you in on the area and find you something that suits you well. Siesta Key if you like more vacation traffic, the town has outdoor restaurants, bars, a Bears bar (SKOB) and a lot of happy vacationers. Plus one of the best beaches in the world. Long Boat Key, to the north, is more secluded but has St. Armand's Circle which has all the restaurants, bars, car shows that you would want. The mainland has the bigger city of Sarasota and lower prices than the Keys. The further you get from the water, the cheaper prices get.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info