Where are you hoping to retire to, where do you realistically expect to retire and why??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

No politics intended, but several guys have changed their retirement plans,
because the state has changed over the decades, and they refuse to live in liberal ruled states.
So has anyone changed their plans because of the area changing, having more or less money than you planned, different wife, different hobby's etc etc.

So where is your dream retirement location, where do you think you'll end up and why??
I'm thinking why as in hobby's, family, weather, living cost, it could be any reason, or multiple reasons??

I'm thinking stay in Indiana, but spend the winter cruising the deep south where the dragstrips are still open??
For years I planned to move over seas, but that has definitely changed, and seems way too scary now a days.
I would be a nervous wreck I had a target on my back saying evil American??

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe we'll be partial snow birds...at this point, wife and I will inherit a house in Florida, share in a lake house/cottage in far northwest Michigan (shared among immediate family), condo on Bang's lake in Wauconda, and half of wife's parents house in Detroit suburbs (shared with brother)...

Neither my wife or I like Florida as a place to live. We'd like to move to Michigan permanently in the near future, and finding something on a lake in the middle of the country, to me, sounds perfect (Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas). But as time moves on and life moves on, I'm sure a lot will change.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
This. I'm hoping to get into rental properties so I can at least have a hobby job when I hit my mid 60's. Sell the properties and live off that money. That's my only hope, or die young.

Wife and I have debated this...I don't want to be a slum lord, and shit ass renters have me worried...I'd rather just flip houses

Reactions: frank

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Wife and I have debated this...I don't want to be a slum lord, and shit ass renters have me worried...I'd rather just flip houses
My Uncle has never had a real 9-5 job for as long as I have been alive. He's 92 now and still living off of money he made with rental properties.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
COVID has seriously made me reconsider alot of things. I've been burning out in my current role for too long and its not healthy. My wife keeps joking / semi serious about getting into flipping houses/property management too. We're going to see so many outdated boomer homesteads on the market that might be a good investment. We'd love to early retire in the Tennessee mountains or northern Georgia area with a lakehouse with many dogs.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
This. I'm hoping to get into rental properties so I can at least have a hobby job when I hit my mid 60's. Sell the properties and live off that money. That's my only hope, or die young.

I can't wait for every boomer that had this idea to try to sell all at the same time. It's coming soon, and it's going to be such an amazing buyers market.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I can't wait for every boomer that had this idea to try to sell all at the same time. It's coming soon, and it's going to be such an amazing buyers market.

There is going to be a glut of these. For pennies on the dollar. Many of them were last renovated in the 90s with golden oak trim everything. Literally every one of those will be a complete gut job.

Reactions: Stink Star

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Liquidate everything, go find a welcoming island in the Caribbean and be an ex-pat. I've seen too many episodes of "Island Life", dammit.

I've heard Panama was a good place to head to. They like the USD, China has been dumping tons of cash into the country so lots of new and reliable infrastructure, and IIRC, no taxes. I got a friend in Costa Rica that's been there for 20+ years. Said if he had to do it again, he'd go to Panama.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Topton, NC looks nice. Land a place on Lake Nantahala.
Pretty much this. Been looking around the area for years.

Pretty much anything between Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN will do nicely.

Too far north for Texas summers.
Too far south for Chicago winters.
Too far west for Florida hurricanes.

Get a feel for the seasons without having to 'endure' them. Scenery can't be beat, IMO. Best mountain range in North America.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info