🚘 Automotive When to put on the summer tires?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I ended up going to TopSpeed autosport on Archer after a trip to the auto show based on recommendations here. Picked up a set Rohana RFX13 20x10 front and 20x11 back in gloss black with put Nitto nt555G2 275mm front and 305 rear tire. I’ve been ceramic coating one wheel at a time while I wait for the weather to get better.
ec30ff21b779c186b1920b1e376e3887.jpg
The process is a bit tedious, but ceramic coating my wheels is one of the better decisions I’ve made. Having a pressure washer now the cleaning process should be even easier.

My summer tires will be going on second week of April weather permitting.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
We normally get a snow storm in April and I'm doing summer tires instead of no-seasons so I'm holding off until beginning of May.

Hope I don't kill the snows stretching it out that far.
We may get a storm in April that produces an inch or 2. But the pavement will almost certainly be warm enough from weeks of hitting 50 and 60 degrees that it'll melt rapidly. My main concern is if the temps were to drop into the lower 20s or below, we run the risk of damaging the rubber compound on summer tires.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Well, I waited a bit longer. I cleaned the rotors as much as possible today without going nuts. There are still spots the brake dust is baked on and will require more aggressive stuff.

I really forget at times just how massive a 14" steel disc is until I'm right up against it and its as big as a pizza.

IMG_0283 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Well, I waited a bit longer. I cleaned the rotors as much as possible today without going nuts. There are still spots the brake dust is baked on and will require more aggressive stuff.

I really forget at times just how massive a 14" steel disc is until I'm right up against it and its as big as a pizza.

IMG_0283 by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

I'm wondering if those would bolt onto the Fusion. Same hub bore and bolt pattern so that's part of the battle figured out.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I put my summer tires on yesterday. I didn't want to wait any longer.
I first had to finish cleaning the tar off of from the incident last fall with them getting coated in road construction tar.
They seemed to stick well in yesterday's 80 degree heat and it was nice to get the car out to stretch its legs.
Is spring finally here?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I was significantly lazy this year, but the summer tires are now on the car. And I took the time to clean the brakes front and back. But boy do they need more work. Got some baked on stuff that just won't come off.

Also, found out the car is leaking from the front cover. Caked in oil/grime. This would be the 2nd time I had this fixed, and it stems from the damned head gasket recall, you just can't seal the engine properly in the bay. You have to drop the engine to get enough access to thoroughly clean and assemble it without leaks.

1652632527940.png

1652632485701.png

Thread Info