When to put on the summer tires?

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
When do you guys throw on your summer tires? I have a fresh set of wheels and tires (nitto nt555g2) i want to put on looking at the forecast for the next ten days, but I know how Chicago works...
What is too cold for summer tires? Freezing, 40 degrees...help a brother out!
In the same vain, what is too hot for winter tires (blizzak lm32s)?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Also, a lot of newer summer tires also have warnings that you may damage the tires if driven in near 20 degree temps:

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
My summer tires don't like temps below about 50 degrees, so I'll probably wait until the temps are above that on average, which most likely means April.
But then, the snow tires turn to goo at about 50 degrees, so it's fine line I'm walking.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
1583068019922.png

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
When do you guys throw on your summer tires? I have a fresh set of wheels and tires (nitto nt555g2) i want to put on looking at the forecast for the next ten days, but I know how Chicago works...
What is too cold for summer tires? Freezing, 40 degrees...help a brother out!
In the same vain, what is too hot for winter tires (blizzak lm32s)?
What rims did you end up getting?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
They are okay, not great till about on clean dry roads. Traction is poor but smart driving makes it manageable.

Beyond that is when they reach the glass transition point. Once they transition to glass your fucked.

when I first got the Focus ST I didn’t realize it came with summer tires. I didn’t get tires till the following winter. A few days I drove it in 10-15* weather. Was sketch as fuck. Had to give bus lengths of braking room.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
What rims did you end up getting?

I ended up going to TopSpeed autosport on Archer after a trip to the auto show based on recommendations here. Picked up a set Rohana RFX13 20x10 front and 20x11 back in gloss black with put Nitto nt555G2 275mm front and 305 rear tire. I’ve been ceramic coating one wheel at a time while I wait for the weather to get better.
ec30ff21b779c186b1920b1e376e3887.jpg

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
I've been out on MPS 4S's when it's 40 or above this year. After driving for about 10 min they work alright, but the 9 minutes prior are pretty sketchy when it comes to applying some throttle a little too aggressively. In years past I drove on PZero summer tires in below freezing temps because I didn't know any better, but I didn't die :LOL:.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info