🥶 When is everybody putting on their snow tires?

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Wife’s car is getting winter wheels and snows put on this weekend. Ordering tires for my GLI while I’m at the shop. Picked up cheap CL Rial wheels for the GLI a few weeks ago.
Edge ST on Snows from last year:

123698F4-6192-4E28-B14B-7839C80B6BB9.jpeg

E05EA970-7ACE-434D-906A-3534A73EBB37.jpeg

A3BEC8EF-9E66-4C36-8BAF-EA0FA202EE4C.jpeg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
No, I rarely see rusty cars near me and I'm half a mile from the Gulf. It's the sun that is the main danger. Park in shade/garage or the paint will eventually go through the clear coat.

I think the cars that are up there that survive the rust are either well painted/protected models or don't drive in the salt often.
I’m speaking of Colorado, where I live. We get plenty of snow but use no salt so cars are still spotless.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Had a brain far this morning.

Swapped to the winter tires.

TPMS went nuts about 20m into the trip to work.

Didn't connect, no TPMS in Winter tires to TPMS getting upset.

WHOOOOPS. Brain Fart. When I got to work I got out and checked all the tires for pressure lol. All were exactly where I expected them. I set them at 42/38 when it was 70°. Now it was 35° this morning and after a drive to work they were at 41/36.

35° is actually where the TPMS threshold sits, so its annoying that the threshold is only 3° off where the rear tires sit. Need to use Forscan to change it to say 32° PSI so its not as annoying. Or disable it all together.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I am still gonna wait it out and hope i can still get in a couple of weekends to have some fun.
I has no garage.

So if the weather gets miserable, then I too, must be miserable while changing the tires. So I changed a little earlier than usual. I usually end up doing it mid-late November.

Reactions: BS ISF

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Do they spray some liquid stuff on the roads down by you? I’ve mostly noticed it in Fort Collins. Not sure what it is but it is slick as shit and feels like the greased the road.
When it’s going to be icy they’ll do mag chloride on the roads but mostly just sand/rock

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
When I bought the Land Rover earlier this year it came with Continental ContiCrossContact Winter tires. They were only on for a few weeks and then I put on some Pirellis and had the dealer put the Continentals in their storage area. Had the winter tires put back on a couple weeks ago during an oil change but realized they are not in great shape and also noticed that almost everyone here runs studded tires in the winter.

Given that I plan to do some long distance trips this winter I decided to bite the bullet and go with some new snows - Michelin X-ICE 4 NORTH 4 SUVs this time. They have an insane number of studs; in the 275/45R22 size it’s over 300 studs per tire. They are a bit ridiculous but not a lot of choices in this size. Making an appointment for this weekend.

F1E61DF0-2986-4C7A-B7DB-26644ADF7B53.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’m speaking of Colorado, where I live. We get plenty of snow but use no salt so cars are still spotless.

Just another reason to LOVE Colorado. You can actually expect to purchase a vehicle brand new and drive it for 10+ years without it looking like shit.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
When I bought the Land Rover earlier this year it came with Continental ContiCrossContact Winter tires. They were only on for a few weeks and then I put on some Pirellis and had the dealer put the Continentals in their storage area. Had the winter tires put back on a couple weeks ago during an oil change but realized they are not in great shape and also noticed that almost everyone here runs studded tires in the winter.

Given that I plan to do some long distance trips this winter I decided to bite the bullet and go with some new snows - Michelin X-ICE 4 NORTH 4 SUVs this time. They have an insane number of studs; in the 275/45R22 size it’s over 300 studs per tire. They are a bit ridiculous but not a lot of choices in this size. Making an appointment for this weekend.

View attachment 73435
Those will be incredible. Nokian Hakkas i had have a very similar tread pattern.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info