When is enough is enough?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I’m sure we all have some sort of love/ hate relationship with our vehicles. I sure do. Just hit 100K on the wrx last week in that time, I’ve had the car repainted 5-6x due to various accidents, replaced 2 windshields and today I have to pay out of pocket to replace a bumper that needs to be replaced because someone hit me 2 weeks ago and their insurance won’t cover it. (Cheaper to replace bumper and repaint than to strip and paint. Body shop won’t warranty it if they do it the insurance’s way)

Most of my life I’ve owned some sort of sports car, and taken pride in making sure it looked great always. I’ve owned about 10 cars since I first got my license and this is the first car I’ve kept to 100K. I plan on driving it into the ground but when do you give up on keeping it looking clean?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I wouldn't give up on taking care of it. I see regularly washing and cleaning as a maintenance item for any car. Once you stop washing it and let the paint fail, rust starts to take over. Plus I don't like driving around in a car that looks like junk lol.

Even my 2011 Chrysler 200 that I hated got washed and waxed regularly. If anything got damaged, I always fixed it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
We spend money on our cars based on a passion for them. Otherwise, we would keep them stock as possible and spend as little as we can to keep them on the road. Or lease them so they stay stock and you get a new car every few years. We know the amount of money we put into them is something we will never get back. Think of it the price you pay for enjoying the car.

If you still enjoy the car and feel it is worth it to you to spend money to keep it running well and looking good, then go for it. If you feel continuing to put money into it isn't worth it then maybe it is time to trade upkeep money into a new(er) car payment.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I think it also depends on the car. No matter how many miles you put on the wrx it still holds higher resale then most. A clean one taken care of will give you top $ when you decide it’s time.

Also I think part of the “fun” of owning a sports car is taking car of it, but that’s just me.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I wouldn’t stop washing her or cleaning her and she gets dirty. It’s more so about some of the major stuff asthetics wise and making sure she looks perfect. Spent $1300 painting the front in February, and now have to consider paying $1000 to insurance if I want to fix the pitting & peeling that’s going on.

If you still enjoy the car and feel it is worth it to you to spend money to keep it running well and looking good, then go for it. If you feel continuing to put money into it isn't worth it then maybe it is time to trade upkeep money into a new(er) car payment.

Got to keep saving up for the Baja truck so I can stop beating on the wrx.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I’m sure we all have some sort of love/ hate relationship with our vehicles. I sure do. Just hit 100K on the wrx last week in that time, I’ve had the car repainted 5-6x due to various accidents, replaced 2 windshields and today I have to pay out of pocket to replace a bumper that needs to be replaced because someone hit me 2 weeks ago and their insurance won’t cover it. (Cheaper to replace bumper and repaint than to strip and paint. Body shop won’t warranty it if they do it the insurance’s way)

Most of my life I’ve owned some sort of sports car, and taken pride in making sure it looked great always. I’ve owned about 10 cars since I first got my license and this is the first car I’ve kept to 100K. I plan on driving it into the ground but when do you give up on keeping it looking clean?

my 04 wrx has rusty bits, 135k? she's seen better days. not putting any effort in. no crashes but salty wet il life. not the best car to pick a lady up in i guess. but that's why i own one with 8 feet of nyan cat on both sides

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info