When ice fishing goes right

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Is that big or something? Why are these guys losing their shit?

I know nothing about fish. Where is [MENTION=206]skeezer[/MENTION].

It's a pretty nice one I've caught ones a little bigger than that.
For the first 6 years of their lives lake trout grow at a rate of 2 to 4 inches per year vs. the how the normal regular trout and salmon in lake michigan,which grow/mature quite fast and have much shorter lives the Lake trout or as I call them Lakers they typically live for 10 to 20-years although some have been known to reach 60-years or more. Because of this, it’s not uncommon for them to reach weights exceeding 30-pounds. In fact, the current IGFA All-Tackle lake trout stands at 72-pounds. Larger fish do exist however, and the largest lake trout on official record weighed 102-pounds and was caught in a gill net from Lake Athabasca, Saskatchewan in 1961.

Lakers are always found on the bottom always in deep water but they don't eat garbage like a catfish they feed on live bait or moving targets so if you are trolling in the summer by running your lures along the bottom they can be caught. They can have a skunky smell when you first bring them up to them but once they are filleted up the meat doesn't smell and are delicious when cooked properly.

https://youtu.be/_VfnfcjlsAI

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
That is a damn nice fish!! I don't think it is common for lunkers like that to be caught ice fishing. Fish usually slow down a lot when it gets cold out.

Correct not unless it's a small deep lake were they are concentrated to small spots or you are a pro/been taught by an old timer... On large bodies of water you need to have lots of experience described in identifying were they will be like in the video I posted where they go over it in depth how to target them.

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I found it more amusing because they caught a fish that was obviously much larger than they expected to. Cause it barely fit through the hole.

I got a 10" auger you can fit a small kid or something of that size through the whole if you wanted...:rofl: I have smaller augers for targeting the smaller or medium fish as well.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was going to try some ice fishing this year, but I don't have all of the gear needed. It is supposed to be mid 50's tomorrow on a lake near here. I think the wife and I are going to use our day off to try to get a mess of yellow perch and maybe a smallmouth or walleye or two. We are going to have to fish at like 50' or deeper I guess. Never fished that deep, so it will be interesting...or boring.

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I was going to try some ice fishing this year, but I don't have all of the gear needed. It is supposed to be mid 50's tomorrow on a lake near here. I think the wife and I are going to use our day off to try to get a mess of yellow perch and maybe a smallmouth or walleye or two. We are going to have to fish at like 50' or deeper I guess. Never fished that deep, so it will be interesting...or boring.

Just an FYI which I am sure you are going for the purpose of keeping them. Perch, crappie, bass or walleye if you do catch them at that kind of depth their swim bladder will fill with air and come out their mouth by the time you get them to the surface. Anything around 25ft or more this happens. They won't live if you just release them without doing what they call fizzing shown in this video to get the bladder back to normal so they can be able to return to those depths.

https://youtu.be/RbVwLmH9PGs

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Just an FYI which I am sure you are going for the purpose of keeping them. Perch, crappie, bass or walleye if you do catch them at that kind of depth their swim bladder will fill with air and come out their mouth by the time you get them to the surface. Anything around 25ft or more this happens. They won't live if you just release them without doing what they call fizzing shown in this video to get the bladder back to normal so they can be able to return to those depths.

https://youtu.be/RbVwLmH9PGs

Thanks for that. I didn't know that at all. Makes sense though. I plan to eat everything that I can legally keep.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info