Tailgater
Turkey
Pizza
Fiesta & Cheddar Chicken
Tomato & Basil Chicken

brat flavors

protocall

Apr 5, 2016
So second question, when you salt it and toss it back in the fridge, this is un-covered in your fridge??? I feel like bacteria and stuff.... I don't know.... Do stuff to uncovered food.

This is another one of those ancient food myths that stem from Great Depression era problems.

Covering the food only really protects it from smells and cross-contamination. As long as the meat isn't touching anything else, and isn't sitting in a pool of its own liquid, it should be fine.

Bacteria have trouble surviving in temperature extremes (below 40F and above 140F). Which is why you refrigerate food in the first place.

Salt is also the world's oldest preservative. Most bacteria can't survive long in a saline solution.

Unless you're buying diseased meat, any bacteria should only be on the surface of the meat, which you've just covered in salt.

And even if a few organisms survive on the surface, you're going to kill them all when the surface hits a 500F pan or 1500F flame.

Stored on a pan or dish with sides (to catch runoff liquid and prevent cross contamination), elevated off the dish's surface with a cooking grate or wire rack, below 40F, uncovered fridge storage is perfectly safe. This is how most high end steakhouses dry age their meats.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info