When a new car comes into the dealer, what happens???

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Just curious, what happens during "dealer prep"??? Obviously they take off all the protective layers and what not, but do they wax the car? just wash it???

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
my guess is just wash it and thats about it....id imagine bryant (bluzohh6) would know...or for that matter, kevin (ktraver) would know..both have worked at dealers

SHOmuff

Doing the damn thing.
Reaction score
If its a brand new car, we just used to do a quick wash and throw it on the lot. Didn't even remove a lot of the protective crap until someone bought it.

For pre-owned cars that we got from auction, we used to do a quick wash, plastic "courtesy mats", dealer sticker on back, dealer plates and frame. And vacuum the interior if it was really messy, but usually not.

This was all at Packey Webb Ford, BTW.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
it is a different process if the car is presold, compared to just being placed on the lot. every car has to go through a pdi (pre delivery inspection) where all of the functions are checked for proper operation: i.e. windows work, seats operate, and the navi is programmed.... most of, if not all the plastic protection is removed (as per customer request for pre sold cars) and they usually install the front plate bracket now.then the vehicle is test driven to ensure proper operation of the engine and transmission and to check for squeaks and rattles. the vehicle is usually taken to a gas station at this point to be filled up (sadly usually with the cheapest fuel they can buy) and it is taken back to the dealership for a quick wash to get any delivery debries off of it, and to check for surface imperfections. once it passes these tests if the car is presold, the owner is usually there by this point to take delivery of the car and enjoy

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Reaction score
What he^ said. And it used to pay an hour for 10 mins of work! Man I miss doing PDI's. Especially on slow days or with cool cars because we could drive them around for ever. Only thing I miss about working at a dealer

Theautoguy

Reaction score
I believe that at the local BMW dealerships they take the cars out to I-90 and 53 and run the on-ramps for 45 minutes then head south on 290 at WOT until the rings seat. Then they head to the tri-state to test the suspension. When they're all done they pee in the trunk, spray some air freshener in it and chuck it out on the lot. For the special order cars they do the whole prep process without any pants or underwear after a breakfast of 6 month old 7-11 breakfast burritos.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Reaction score
When I worked at woodfield lexus, we took all the shit off, washed it, did a quick vacuum and then a coat of showroom wax.

PANDA

Reaction score
I work basically across the street from BMW North America, on Commerce in Schaumburg. I dont really know what they do there but I see them unload BMW's from enclosed trucks all the time. I see BMW's FLYING around all the time. maybe there testing them out, maybe this is the dealer prep. Who knows but it seems every hour or so I see another BMW fly past my window. I saw a few new M3's this week, three pretty nice.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
I believe that at the local BMW dealerships they take the cars out to I-90 and 53 and run the on-ramps for 45 minutes then head south on 290 at WOT until the rings seat. Then they head to the tri-state to test the suspension. When they're all done they pee in the trunk, spray some air freshener in it and chuck it out on the lot. For the special order cars they do the whole prep process without any pants or underwear after a breakfast of 6 month old 7-11 breakfast burritos.
:rofl:

Bbc84

Reaction score
When I ordered my car, They told me they had to do the inspection before handing it over to me. From what I understand they washed it, drilled 2 holes in my front bumper for a front plate :( Forgot to tell them not to) and When I walked up, I watched the guy stall my new car 3 times trying to park it up front :( and it had about 1.3miles on the car.

Nasty93

Nasty93
Reaction score
dealer installed accessories gotta go on. check all fluids check the battery. stupid shit. check the tires. from time to time we get stuff in low on oil or low on trans fluid stuff like that. gotta look em over just to make sure

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Ok, do you guys think I should tell them not to wash/wax it when it comes in??? I'm obviously going to tell them not to put the front plate on.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
I work basically across the street from BMW North America, on Commerce in Schaumburg. I dont really know what they do there but I see them unload BMW's from enclosed trucks all the time. I see BMW's FLYING around all the time. maybe there testing them out, maybe this is the dealer prep. Who knows but it seems every hour or so I see another BMW fly past my window. I saw a few new M3's this week, three pretty nice.

I drive by that place everyday on my way to work, and they seem to always be flying around, but in the mornings, I see a BMW's full of shop-dressed people, so I think it is a factory training center sort of thing..........Oh and they have a few of those new 1-series over there

bluzohh6

The system works
Reaction score
they put in fuses and do a visual inspection too, and if something if fucked up from delivery they will fix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom