3800 Wheel Hub Axle Nut

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Dec 10 2005, 03:51 PM
For the axle nut, I just tighten the shit out of it with an impact gun.
[snapback]106710[/snapback]​
You guys are a bunch of wussbags. I use a breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. I have a couple of impact guns, but I only use them 1-2 times a year tops. The only way to get an accurate idea on what it should be tightened to is by hand IMHO. I don't even like to use Tq wrenches anymone. :p

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 10 2005, 11:57 PM
i work at a buick dealer we do hubs 2-3times a week and have seen a lot of problem w/ customers who want to go w/ aftermarket hubs and come back w/ howling and shit 10k miles later
[snapback]106758[/snapback]​

I checked out Autozone, Lee and NAPA for the hub.

Autozone didnt have it in stock - $129
Lee had it in stock $129 - but it looked cheap. You just get that feeling that it's cheap parts from looking at it, you know?

NAPA sells two kinds of hubs: a cheap one for $129 and a better one for $212. The cheap one (made by Eaglezone something company) doesnt last long. The $212 one comes with a lifetime warranty - so if the bearings or sensor goes out, you are covered.

The guy at NAPA seemed to know what he was talking about so I got the better hub. I got it for $145 though. It's amazing how NAPA (and PepBoys) can all of a sudden lower their prices once you say something like "well, I need to shop around - is that the best you can do?"

I torqued the axle nut down to 125ft lbs.

Thanks for all input everyone.

J.E.T.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info