• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Wheel Hub Axle Nut

J.E.T.

Reaction score
I'm replacing my hub this morning. I'm about to put it all together, but I can't find the specs on how tight to torque down the big axle nut. Any help?

How about the 13mm hub bolts? I saw a post that said 96ft lbs. That sounds too tight to me...

J.E.T.

J.E.T.

Reaction score
You know, you guys are no help on Saturday mornings :p .

Too much :beer: on Fri nights.

I've got my ABS back now. Yay!

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
did you already do it? i would say the axle nut is like 130-150 ft/lbs or something, at the shop we run it on w/ an impact and then leave it alone...so im guess around there

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Dec 10 2005, 03:51 PM
For the axle nut, I just tighten the shit out of it with an impact gun.
[snapback]106710[/snapback]​
You guys are a bunch of wussbags. I use a breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. I have a couple of impact guns, but I only use them 1-2 times a year tops. The only way to get an accurate idea on what it should be tightened to is by hand IMHO. I don't even like to use Tq wrenches anymone. :p

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
wouldnt a torque wrench be the best way to get a good idea to get an accurate idea of how tight lol...i guess if you didnt have the spec it would be better by hand....

xierxior

Reaction score
if you overtighten that nut you will destroy the bearings inside the hub... I just "tightend the shit" out of mine the first time and had the hub go out the same day. if you bought a gm hub its like 140/150 ft lb if its aftermarket its going to be like 130 ft lb

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
i work at a buick dealer we do hubs 2-3times a week and have seen a lot of problem w/ customers who want to go w/ aftermarket hubs and come back w/ howling and shit 10k miles later

J.E.T.

Reaction score
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 10 2005, 11:57 PM
i work at a buick dealer we do hubs 2-3times a week and have seen a lot of problem w/ customers who want to go w/ aftermarket hubs and come back w/ howling and shit 10k miles later
[snapback]106758[/snapback]​
I checked out Autozone, Lee and NAPA for the hub.

Autozone didnt have it in stock - $129
Lee had it in stock $129 - but it looked cheap. You just get that feeling that it's cheap parts from looking at it, you know?

NAPA sells two kinds of hubs: a cheap one for $129 and a better one for $212. The cheap one (made by Eaglezone something company) doesnt last long. The $212 one comes with a lifetime warranty - so if the bearings or sensor goes out, you are covered.

The guy at NAPA seemed to know what he was talking about so I got the better hub. I got it for $145 though. It's amazing how NAPA (and PepBoys) can all of a sudden lower their prices once you say something like "well, I need to shop around - is that the best you can do?"

I torqued the axle nut down to 125ft lbs.

Thanks for all input everyone.

J.E.T.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom