Wheel cleaner

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
After trying almost every wheel cleaner you can buy off the shelf I have come to the conclusion you get the same results with soap and water.
I found this wheel cleaner on the internet and saw some videos and decided to order some and give it a try. It's a "No Scrub" wheel cleaner that is safe to use for any clear coated rims. It's non a non-acid based cleaner called Brown Royal.
It is also supposed to be used on tires. I used to use blech-white and then scrub, but I no longer have to do it. The tires come out so clean you don't need any tire dressing.
My rims are never dirty enough to notice a difference so I decided to clean the inside of the rims.

Just off the car. 7 years worth of brake dust.
IMG_5246.jpg

Brown Royal doing its job lifting the dust and cleaning the tire.
IMG_5247.jpg

I ended up using a sponge to lift the loosened brake dust off. I didn't use anything to scrub the tires.
IMG_5248.jpg

I highly suggest you guys get some instead of wasting your money on stuff off the shelf. It comes in a 1 gallon container for like $12 and you dilute it 1:3 and get a shitload of use out of it.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
NICE JOB,

i usually dont use wheel cleaner...i use a variety of brushes to get inside of the wheels and lug spaces.....when i rotate the tires, i clean the inside of the wheels....

i am currently using CHEMICAL GUYS " DIABLO WHEEL CLEANER " smells like cherries.
its a gel that can be diluted with water.

p21s wheel gel is pretty good too..........of course they work better when agitated with brushes and mits.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
www.flashwax.com

I'm thinkin about getting the carpet cleaner and the grape car wash next.

I just really like this product because as long as your rims arent horrible you can just spray around the tire and the rim, let it sit while you are filling up your wash bucket and then go around and rinse. Shaves probably 5 minutes off the wash time and it makes the tires look like they just came off the shelf with no need to scrub.

sp_dynasty

I AM THE STIG
Oct 2, 2008
www.flashwax.com

I'm thinkin about getting the carpet cleaner and the grape car wash next.

I just really like this product because as long as your rims arent horrible you can just spray around the tire and the rim, let it sit while you are filling up your wash bucket and then go around and rinse. Shaves probably 5 minutes off the wash time and it makes the tires look like they just came off the shelf with no need to scrub.

i think imma order me some

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Before I bought this I spent $8 on meguires wheel cleaner and I sprayed, let it sit, rinsed and nothing happened. It lasted 2 car washes and didn't do anything.
This comes in a 1 gallon container and you dilute it 1:3. I have used it about 10 times (completely covering wheels and tires) and only about 3 inches is missing out of the one gallon container. Best bang for the buck.
It sounds like I am absolutely in love with this product, but I'm just tired of all these companies swearing up and down that they do this and that and I purchase them and I am almost always dissapointed. I just figured I would pass on the info so people don't buy some of the other stuff and waste their money. This product and some of the other products they sell do what they say they do.

amalmer71

Feb 16, 2010
That looks great. I'll have to look into that.

Another product I've found that works very well is that Dupont Teflon Wheel Cleaner. I bought it on a whim at the local Big Lots just because.... took it home, sprayed it on one of the wheels on my '99 Olds Intrigue, walked up to the house and grabbed the hose, rinsed it off, and BAMMM!!! The wheel was clean. I've never, in my life, had an easier time cleaning wheels.

Keep in mind, our cars in this area are exposed to a lot more than just brake dust. Around here, in the summer, they spray down road sealer, let it set a few days, then dust it with light gravel. We get stringy tar slung all over the car and wheels. This stuff takes it off, easily. Because of the tar, there is a little agitation necessary, but it's far from "scrubbing".

The problem is, the stuff isn't cheap. It was only $3.50 at Big Lots that day, but the retail price is around $8 a bottle. :eek:

It also leaves Teflon on the wheel, so they're that much easier to clean next time (read- requires less product to work effectively).

31N4466SRWL._SS400_.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info