Wheel Bearing Again?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I replaced both front wheel bearings on my Caddy Seville two years ago. I'm now getting the hum again from the driver's side front wheel. Damn.

I used Timken bearings last time. This time I ordered AC/Delco from Rock Auto.

Wish I had a lift and air tools or, at least, a garage. It's going to be a driveway job.

I found my 34 mil. socket so that's a plus.

Any tips on making this job easier? First step will be using a leaf blower on the driveway to get the Florida insect wildlife to retreat. :smile:

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Should be pretty easy if its only been 2 years. I just did the passenger side on the cobalt. Took about an hour

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
we did them ALL the time on the sevi/devi at the dealer.. even with GM AC Delco, they dont last a very long time.

lastls1

Reaction score
GM and wheel bearings do not mix. It’s super common on nearly all cars. Ask the Grand Prix owners here haha.

Haven’t found a set that lasts more than 40-50k here.

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
I’m thinking I have to do mine on my Escalade with 59K on it. Not sure if the humming is bearings or tires but something feels not right in the front end. My mileage + GM bearings = most likely time to do them anyway. I’m going to pop the wheel off and soak the nut with penetrating oil a day or two before I do it so I don’t blow up another impact gun.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping they go more easily, like Tinfoil says, since I did them a couple years ago. IIRC, I used blue locktite instead of the original red locktite on the three hub bearing bolts. Any tips for freeing up the blue locktite? I know the red was a BITCH to get loose last time.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blue shouldn’t give you much trouble. I wouldn’t think you’d even need to hit them with a torch or PB blaster but I’m not sure how that Florida air is on car parts.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I used blue on my brake caliper bolts and they came off with not to much effort. Just a little torque until you hear the "crack" of the locktite breaking, but nothing unreasonable.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Good old GM wheel bearings... This is where Autozone's "lifetime warranty" comes into play.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's not the cost of the bearings that bugs me, it's those damn 3 hub bolts.

I did one side today and the bolts came off OK with a breaker bar. If you turn the wheel to one side you can get two of them then back to the other side to get the 3rd.

It's getting hot out now so I may leave the other side for tomorrow morning. Wasn't supposed to be 90 today but it is.

b4black

Reaction score
Don't change both. Just change the bad one. No reason to do in pairs. You're done, grab a beer.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it needs one? Car is tracking straight.

I am happy to report that the 45 mph + shaking when gently hitting the brakes has completely stopped. I had the motor mounts replaced a few months ago which helped and now, with the new wheel bearings, the car feels smooth again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom