What's up with my F150

P40E

Reaction score
Today I ran out of gas . 2011 , 5.0 coyote 4x4 . As the truck was coasting I put it in neutral and turned key off . I coasted for about 100 feet and all of the sudden something started grinding like I put it in park or grinding gears . It sounds really bad .

So I got fuel and truck was ok .

Tried to duplicate the problem .

Driving at speed , put in neutral , coast . All is good .

Driving at speed , put it in neutral , /// turn key off /// start to coast a little bit , . And the same grinding happened .

What going on with my truck ? You can't coast in neutral with the truck off . :dunno: :thinking: :confused:

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Today I ran out of gas . 2011 , 5.0 coyote 4x4 . As the truck was coasting I put it in neutral . I coasted for about 100 feet and all of the sudden something started grinding like I put it in park or grinding gears . It sounds really bad .

So I got fuel and truck was ok .

Tried to duplicate the problem .

Driving at speed , put in neutral , coast . All is good .

Driving at speed , put it in neutral , /// turn key off /// start to coast a little bit , . And the same grinding happened .

What going on with my truck ? You can't coast in neutral with the truck off . :dunno: :thinking: :confused:
Different year F150 but maybe same issue?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/262580-coasting-engine-off-front-grind.html

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I was going to post the same thing before reading that forum response. Your hubs being engaged with loss of ignition power.

OP
P40E

P40E

Reaction score
That does make sense . I do remember turning the key off while coasting right after I ran out of fuel .

And then when I tried to recreate the problem I turned key off .

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
IIRC the key off condition for the front IWE is engaged, so if your selector is set to 2H the truck won’t truly be in 2 Wheel unless it’s on

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Why would you turn it off while moveing???? Wait till fully stopped then turn it off.

OP
P40E

P40E

Reaction score
It was just something I did . Truck was not running and coasting and as I was slowing down I turned key off to kill the dash lights .

Still I think it's stupid that you can't move the truck in neutral with key off without grinding .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom