đź’¦ Detailing What's the go-to random action polisher these days?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
weekend warrior, LOL. Yes, I am the definition of that.

I have no problem going corded for what I'm looking to do. Got something in mind that I could get instead and save some $$$? I just thought about the DeWALT cordless cause I already have a stack of 20v XR batteries and a couple of chargers.

And appreciate the info on avoiding the CG polishes.

would be nice if someone had a "basic" kit that threw you a decent tool, bunch of pads, and some decent starter chemicals (compound?, polish, wax, etc). Label them too. like matching numbers on which pads go with which chemicals. Just to get a newbie started and comfortable with what to look for and then expand on in the future.

If my truck wasn't in such bad shape I'd just hand you the keys, trust me.... But I wouldn't want to waste your time having to avoid chunks of rust and rot. Same with the g/f's car where the clear on the top of the fenders is shot and the hood is following close behind.

I'm still thinking about bring my car to you. It has that Infiniti "self healing" paint that personally I don't think does squat, but not sure how easily it is to fuck it up, so obviously wouldn't start there.
I've had good luck with this kit. Is it professional quality?...probably not. But I've used it on my cars and have had really nice results. I'm no detailing snob though, just like clean/shiny cars!

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
weekend warrior, LOL. Yes, I am the definition of that.

I have no problem going corded for what I'm looking to do. Got something in mind that I could get instead and save some $$$? I just thought about the DeWALT cordless cause I already have a stack of 20v XR batteries and a couple of chargers.

And appreciate the info on avoiding the CG polishes.

would be nice if someone had a "basic" kit that threw you a decent tool, bunch of pads, and some decent starter chemicals (compound?, polish, wax, etc). Label them too. like matching numbers on which pads go with which chemicals. Just to get a newbie started and comfortable with what to look for and then expand on in the future.

If my truck wasn't in such bad shape I'd just hand you the keys, trust me.... But I wouldn't want to waste your time having to avoid chunks of rust and rot. Same with the g/f's car where the clear on the top of the fenders is shot and the hood is following close behind.

I'm still thinking about bring my car to you. It has that Infiniti "self healing" paint that personally I don't think does squat, but not sure how easily it is to fuck it up, so obviously wouldn't start there.

Entry level polisher would be something like the Porter Cable 7424XP. A slight upgrade from that would be the Griot's G9.
Autogeek just had a 25% off sale with free shipping over $95. You can find decent polishes there.
I have some 8oz bottles of Menzerna products if you wanted to try them at a lesser cost than a 32oz bottle.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I've looked at that one a few times. The bottles it comes with are only 4oz, and yeah, only one set of pads. However didn't you just recommend staying clear of CG stuff?

Automotive detailing has kind of blown up over the recent past and the market is flooded with many manufacturers. There are some old reliable options for polishes and compounds that would rank higher than CG
So, yes, I wouldn't spend my money there.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I’m at work on my phone so I can’t give this the proper attention. I’ve only used CG shampoo and their vinyl rubber and plastic so I can’t comment on their polishes or pads. I believe IDAFC21 IDAFC21 has so he may be able to offer some insight. I’ve only used the meguiars polishes and lake county CCS pads. My next polish I may try some of Menzernas offerings.

I have the CG Torq 10FX polisher, but I havent used any of their pads or polishes. I need to work out a winning combo for when (if) it ever cools down out here again. I was gonna try to do some Essence+ to "rejuvenate" my ceramic, but im pretttttty sure I've got little to no ceramic left on my car by now. Any hydrophobicity (i love when i get to use that word) I do have on the car right now is probably due the semi-regular coats of Reload I put on, plus every 2-3 washes I spray on a light misting of HydrO2 lite to keep everything fresh.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Entry level polisher would be something like the Porter Cable 7424XP. A slight upgrade from that would be the Griot's G9.
Autogeek just had a 25% off sale with free shipping over $95. You can find decent polishes there.
I have some 8oz bottles of Menzerna products if you wanted to try them at a lesser cost than a 32oz bottle.
Mr. Gav,

What do you think about this?

Or this?

Last option would be this, going with the white, orange, and black pads as you recommended?

Any of them with the Griots Complete Polish and Griots Best of Show Wax I already have?

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I would go with the last link, the 5.5" pads are better for a wider range of potential vehicles.
2 orange, 3 white and 1 black if you intend on using the products you have.

I suggest one of these to clean the face of the pad after each panel:

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I would go with the last link, the 5.5" pads are better for a wider range of potential vehicles.
2 orange, 3 white and 1 black if you intend on using the products you have.

I suggest one of these to clean the face of the pad after each panel:

Ordered!
1597275036359.png

Funnily, they're in Stuart, FL, about 2-3 miles from my friend's house.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
They screwed me on my Sunday order... I will be going with detailed image moving forward.
Let us know how the package does
Okay. It’s set for 3 day ground, so maybe during next week?

I don’t like they partnered with yahoo biz, or yahoo in general. Their history of data breaches are staggering. I did use amazon pay, so i hope none of that data got collected by yahoo.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
They screwed me on my Sunday order... I will be going with detailed image moving forward.
Let us know how the package does

How did Autogeek hurt you? I typically buy from detailed image because they’re in Illinois and shipping is quick. Been meaning to check out Chicago Auto Pros online store as well.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
How did Autogeek hurt you? I typically buy from detailed image because they’re in Illinois and shipping is quick. Been meaning to check out Chicago Auto Pros online store as well.

I placed an order on Sunday, I received an email yesterday stating that one of the products I ordered is now being put on temporary back order and that the entire order has an estimated ship date of 7-10 business days.
The product that conveniently is now not available is the menzerna 2400. Odd because I found it on Amazon for 2 day shipping.
Why would AG be out of it ? IDK.
Why didnt they send this email Monday or Tuesday ? I purposely order over the weekend because their ground shipping usually takes 4-5 days, so I have it by the end of the week.
I emailed them back and said I understand that things happen but can they split the order and ship what they have. No response
Called customer service, left a VM, then 2 hours later I received an email saying they would split the order.
another hour goes by and I have a shipping notification from UPS, ETA is Monday. gee thanks....
fuckers.

Detailed Image is in New York

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Looks like I'm going to cancel the order. Don't have the shit listed as "in stock" then come back and say it's on back order:

Thank you for your order. An item on your recent order has been placed on temporary backorder.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions, or if you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We appreciate your business.

If you would like to adjust your order, please contact us directly and one of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy assist you. Once the backordered item is received, will work to ship your order as quickly as possible.

We expect to ship your order in approximately 7-10 business days.

BACK-ORDER: Porter Cable 5.5 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

• Angry
Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Basically have to start over and see what I can find. Think i will go all Amazon this time, so open to suggested items.

Still looking to just be able to cover the basics (polish and wax). So need the tool, pads (and backer), cleaning/conditioning chemicals, brush, etc). A "kit" would be nice so that I don't have to dig for a dozen items to add into the cart. That's where Amazon falters a bit and dedicated sites do better.

Still planning on using the Griots Complete Polish and Griots Best of Show Wax

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Basically have to start over and see what I can find. Think i will go all Amazon this time, so open to suggested items.

Still looking to just be able to cover the basics (polish and wax). So need the tool, pads (and backer), cleaning/conditioning chemicals, brush, etc). A "kit" would be nice so that I don't have to dig for a dozen items to add into the cart. That's where Amazon falters a bit and dedicated sites do better.

Still planning on using the Griots Complete Polish and Griots Best of Show Wax

Unreal, they wont see any more of my business.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Autopia is where I believe I bought the Flex and Lake Country pads I have, from.

that forum had a data breach many years ago and has since gone down hill.

Brian from Apex Detail orders from carzilla even though they are in Canada. He said he has no issues getting items.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info