đź’¦ Detailing What's the go-to random action polisher these days?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
pricey but you get what you pay for.
adams is just cheap ass china crap

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Hard To justify spending that much for a weekend warrior/enthusiast though.

pricey but you get what you pay for.
adams is just cheap ass china crap

Reactions: The Beast

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I don’t have a battery yet. :(

i gotchya.

you'd almost be better buying the bare tool from like here:

for $250

then finding a tool with a battery for around $200-250.

you likely don't need this string trimmer but if you could use it, it's basically free at $450 with the same battery/charger. who cares about the bag.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Mildly?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DanJ and Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm heavily enticed. Though I hate to admit it, I'll probably get the DeWALT bare. Just need to set my ass down and find/stick the pads and chemicals in the cart and just order the damn things. Just going to go with a good polish for light swirls and scratches, then a good wax. Keep it simple for ol' Speed here. Not picky on brands, don't need a 13 step program (yet).

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I'm heavily enticed. Though I hate to admit it, I'll probably get the DeWALT bare. Just need to set my ass down and find/stick the pads and chemicals in the cart and just order the damn things. Just going to go with a good polish for light swirls and scratches, then a good wax. Keep it simple for ol' Speed here. Not picky on brands, don't need a 13 step program (yet).

Good luck with that :rofl:. You buy one thing that works well and you like... but then you see a review for something new and start to wonder if it’s even better than what you currently use. Rinse and repeat and then you have enough product to last a couple years and are still buying stuff.

For now. Over winter or spring the enticement will intensify. Have a few other projects and tools I need to buy first

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Good luck with that :rofl:. You buy one thing that works well and you like... but then you see a review for something new and start to wonder if it’s even better than what you currently use. Rinse and repeat and then you have enough product to last a couple years and are still buying stuff.

For now. Over winter or spring the enticement will intensify. Have a few other projects and tools I need to buy first
Oh I already have this problem, LOL. It's been growing for years.

The Chemical Guys, Meguiars, and Griots seem to have the most consistent positive reviews. But each has multiple versions of the same thing depending on how focused you want to get. That is what makes it confusing and a little frustrating. Which one of their six polishes do I get? That doesn't even account for cutting compounds, waxes/top coats, etc. Just need something simple to start with as a novice, and I'll see how it goes then work up from there.

The polisher has been in my cart for about two weeks, lol... just sorting out the rest now.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Really can’t mess anything up with a light cutting pad and polish combo.
What do you think of this for the "light" polish? The V38 is $25 on its own, so two for $30:

These pads (will one of each be enough?)

I have a new bottle of this for the wax:

Come to think of it, I have an almost new bottle of this too. Use this in place of the Chemical Guys V38?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’m at work on my phone so I can’t give this the proper attention. I’ve only used CG shampoo and their vinyl rubber and plastic so I can’t comment on their polishes or pads. I believe IDAFC21 IDAFC21 has so he may be able to offer some insight. I’ve only used the meguiars polishes and lake county CCS pads. My next polish I may try some of Menzernas offerings.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Don't over complicate it. Chemical Guys V34 and V36 with 3 Lake Country orange pads and 3 Lake Country white pads.

Don't bother with other pad colors besides orange and white. Grey is okay if you plan to apply sealants or top coats with your machine, but I personally prefer to do wax/sealants by hand. Gives me a chance to take a closer look and check my work as I finish it. On a perfectly clean, polished car, it only takes minutes to wax a midsize car by hand.

Meguiars M105 and M205 is another very proven combo with a random orbital. Tons of write-ups and info on this combo.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Hard To justify spending that much for a weekend warrior/enthusiast though.

weekend warrior needs cordless tools ? I'm just saying, I considered the adam's knock off of the Rupes ibrid nano and I've only read bad reviews.
Everyone is free to spend their money where they want.

I would not waste my money on CG polishes either.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
weekend warrior, LOL. Yes, I am the definition of that.

I have no problem going corded for what I'm looking to do. Got something in mind that I could get instead and save some $$$? I just thought about the DeWALT cordless cause I already have a stack of 20v XR batteries and a couple of chargers.

And appreciate the info on avoiding the CG polishes.

would be nice if someone had a "basic" kit that threw you a decent tool, bunch of pads, and some decent starter chemicals (compound?, polish, wax, etc). Label them too. like matching numbers on which pads go with which chemicals. Just to get a newbie started and comfortable with what to look for and then expand on in the future.

If my truck wasn't in such bad shape I'd just hand you the keys, trust me.... But I wouldn't want to waste your time having to avoid chunks of rust and rot. Same with the g/f's car where the clear on the top of the fenders is shot and the hood is following close behind.

I'm still thinking about bring my car to you. It has that Infiniti "self healing" paint that personally I don't think does squat, but not sure how easily it is to fuck it up, so obviously wouldn't start there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info