đź’¦ Detailing What's the go-to random action polisher these days?

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
10+ yrs and I still enjoy using this loud ass 7424

B5882F12-66E6-4529-B8C0-C137FE1BDC10.jpeg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The Porter Cable 7424XP is a tank. Mine is 10+ years also. It gets used and abused pretty hard and just keeps working. I've loaned it out to friends who weren't very nice to it and it still keeps going. It's not the most powerful tool, but it's idiot proof and effective for removing mild to moderate paint defects with the right pad and polish combos. It's great for a weekend warrior, only detailing personal vehicles.

If you want something a little more powerful, the Griot's G9 would be my choice. The Flex is great too, but not cheap and it has the potential for burning or wrinkling paint if you're not careful.

Reactions: Aron

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Do NOT buy the meguyers one. Lasted me about a year and a half before it burnt out. I also have the torq now for about 2 years and no complaints. Little heavy but you can use that to your advantage.

I managed a detail shop when I was 19. I still think a buffer with a wool pad and someone who knows what they’re doing can create miracles.The compound we used was diamond crystal #4 and I have yet to see anything beat that stuff for polishing.

a tip I found useful after buffing 100’s of cars. Idc what compound you’re using, get the panel HOT.Paint doesn’t burn as easy as people think unless you’re on plastic, the edge of the panel, or a body line.

Reactions: Aron

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
There is still a place for a rotary and wool pads. The user should be experienced or else the paint can end up worse.
The wool pad segment is advanced these days, enough so that they are made for dual action machines and can achieve cut/finish levels with the same "polishing liquid."

Reactions: Aron and Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm thinking about getting one as well. The DeWALT that Yaj Yak mentioned is on my wish list, since it's sitting at $270 for the bare kit. I'd also like to know what a good entry level kit would be for the compounds and pads that would work with the polisher.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I'm thinking about getting one as well. The DeWALT that Yaj Yak mentioned is on my wish list, since it's sitting at $270 for the bare kit. I'd also like to know what a good entry level kit would be for the compounds and pads that would work with the polisher.

Lake country or Meguiars cutting Microfiber pads
Rupes yellow or Lake country orange polishing pads
Red or black finishing pads from Lake country

Compounds
Menzerna FG 400
Griots Fast correcting cream
Jescar Correction compound
Sonax Cut max

Polishes
Menzerna 2500
menzerna 3500
Sonax perfect finish
3D One

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
There is still a place for a rotary and wool pads. The user should be experienced or else the paint can end up worse.
The wool pad segment is advanced these days, enough so that they are made for dual action machines and can achieve cut/finish levels with the same "polishing liquid."
Oh absolutely. It takes practice. Even if you don’t burn paint it’s easy to get the ghost swirls down the side of the car lol.

Really? I’d love a wool pad on my da!! Who makes that Id love to try it. My findings were a foam pad finish only lasted a wash or two before the marks came back. A wool pad polish, followed up by foam pad da, and the finish would look great for months.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Compounds
Menzerna FG 400
Sonax Cut max

Polishes
Menzerna 2500
menzerna 3500
Sonax perfect finish
3D One
That's a lot of kit to buy...

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Oh absolutely. It takes practice. Even if you don’t burn paint it’s easy to get the ghost swirls down the side of the car lol.

Really? I’d love a wool pad on my da!! Who makes that Id love to try it. My findings were a foam pad finish only lasted a wash or two before the marks came back. A wool pad polish, followed up by foam pad da, and the finish would look great for months.

rupes blue coarse
rupes yellow medium

That's a lot of kit to buy...

Pick 1 compound, 1 polish and invest in 3-5 MF pads and 3-5 polishing pads

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ

Compounds
Menzerna FG 400
Sonax Cut max

Polishes
Menzerna 2500
menzerna 3500
Sonax perfect finish
3D One

I'm bookmarking this post for future reference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info