• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What's the cool JY electric fans to grab these days?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Back in the day you'd grab a Taurus fan for your hot rod project and work a shroud around it. The (traditional) Taurus is kind of hard to find these days. What's everyone grabbing these days from the yard? Don't mind a single or double, I'll probably build a controller up.

I went with windstar dual fans on my Buick. The shroud is damn near the same size as the core of my radiator. I’ll see if I have a picture.

Also they’re a pain in the dick to remove :rofl:

519af234be16f5629b09933071862b46.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Holy smokes that's a bigass fan. The Camaro guys rate em for about 4400 CFM the pair as well. If I can't keep my junk cool with that I'm in trouble.

Guessing they're pretty "deep?" I had to trim the crap out of my Taurus fan to get it to work last time, that said I'm going to try and install a short water pump this time which will give me another 1.5" of room or so. The duals may work out a bit better too just because the motor's off to the side not in the center.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
If I can't keep my junk cool with that I'm in trouble.

There is nothing better than cool junk on a hot day.

I think Joel's method is the best. Find a dual fan that closely matches the dimensions of your radiator. Then just verify CFM and you should be golden. Otherwise you need to fabricate a shroud and that can be troublesome. I'd guess most dual fans should be able to handle the job.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Holy smokes that's a bigass fan. The Camaro guys rate em for about 4400 CFM the pair as well. If I can't keep my junk cool with that I'm in trouble.

Guessing they're pretty "deep?" I had to trim the crap out of my Taurus fan to get it to work last time, that said I'm going to try and install a short water pump this time which will give me another 1.5" of room or so. The duals may work out a bit better too just because the motor's off to the side not in the center.
They’re nothing crazy depth wise. I have plenty of room. I can attempt to measure in a bit. About the only dimension I can’t find for them. I originally had a Taurus fan I snagged from the JY but as John mentioned, making a shroud proved too much work when these fit so damn well on my radiator.

Other options could be the f-body radiators as they’re dual and something larger would be the ls truck radiators. I paid like $70 for the windstar one from Dorman new on amazon. I spent like an hour trying to remove one at the JY and ended up being broken.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Update on this. I ended up grabbing an E-fan off an early 2000s Volvo S70. The cool thing is that this fan is basically identical to the Taurus Fan except it has a flange on the outside so you can just screw it onto whatever shroud you want to. Also grabbed the relay module for it as well, which is a super simple setup. All you need to do is put a ground and power into it then you can ground one of two other wires for high or low speed operation. Really a slick setup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info