Food / Drink Whats for dinner tonight TCG?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Went to my sons and his GF house for dinner. His GF cooked all this, it was pretty damn good. Chicken tossed in bbq sauce on pita, homemade Mac & Cheese and homemade pasta salad.

271040E9-A6A0-4B05-A7E2-F95502E42A4F.jpeg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
meant to try some different things on this visit, although did much of the same last time. this bread is fantastic and the butter is perfect too, i really could make a meal or dessert out of just it. like top tasty breads i've had anywhere ever.
PXL_20230414_111244785.jpeg

i had a smoked shrimp starter, it was quite good.
PXL_20230414_111653025.jpeg

dirty rice, bacon/sundried tomato/parm gnocchi (same as last time), and i tried the duck. have never ordered duck before [anywhere] - it was all quite good. next time i think i'll try the lamb, also something i've probably ordered like once in my life before, plus manage to do some different sides.
PXL_20230414_113059524.jpeg

with a coke zero and tip i paid 705 baht, about $20.61.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
dinner yesterday had thai waterfall beef and this spicy chicken sausage that was wicked tasty. no pics but also got some salmon. forgot what it costs. delish.
PXL_20230415_134307911.jpeg

went to the place with all the sides beforehand, even though uhhh i was just there friday. it's a not bad walk and i felt like trying something different there. then i went ham and got a lot of food...

tasty bread and butter to start, then i ordered the scallop. i never order these, also figured it wasn't just one? it was a hokkaido scallop, i guess they are supposed to be the best? in any case it was indeed just one. i wasn't sure what was under it - pixel 6a doing a great job with the light here as it was much lower than this to me. initially i thought that might be rice under the shell - it's actually a bunch of chonky salt. lime tapioca on top and tasty sauce. this alone was 290 baht though.
PXL_20230416_124847007.jpeg

i got lamb tenderloin, something i've never ordered in my life. it's on some kind of beetroot sauce. was quite tender and great.
PXL_20230416_130507727.jpeg

for sides i got the same gnocchi i've been getting, but added a roasted pumpkin and feta cheese side. coke zero with my meal.
PXL_20230416_130513312.jpeg

also got a steamed veggies in beurre blanc side.
PXL_20230416_130515991.jpeg

since i was good about ordering vegetables, i decided to... shove a bunch of sugar down my throat with a chocolate fondant with caramel ice cream. had an americano with this too.
PXL_20230416_133931967.jpeg

one of my most expensive meals here, did 20 baht tip and paid 1500 total. about $44. you can buy a lot of thai food for that lol.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You have convinced me I need to go Thailand, if only to go on a food roadtrip. Because I am an ignorant American, how tough is it for someone who doesn't speak the local language to get around?

Do you have to be wise to things to avoid getting ripped off by taxis or anything?
you can pretty much travel the world and remain an ignorant american who can only speak english and get away with everything just fine. i've never had a real problem anywhere. it's only a few places that don't speak it much (especially in locations you'd actually go) - less people spoke it in cuba but what i found most surprising was mexico city, due to my general expectation that if you know english you're simply going to make more money wherever you live and it being so close to the US as well.

if you're in bangkok it's well known for tuktuks ripping you off or trying to scam you, like take you to bullshit sites or some tailor's shop. taxis generally you would need to negotiate a price before you go somewhere or just insist on them using the meter. other places a tuktuk is fine, some ride apps are available... even in bkk you could use public transport if you stay there. generally thailand is an easy visit. although that hot girl you swiped right on in tinder might have a dick.

Reactions: Trinten

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
looks like my bro is coming actually - his gf dragged him out of the country at 41 y/o to mexico. she's going to bali and some small island and is visiting thailand on the way back and convinced my bro to come out here, so that will be quite the culture change and difference for him, in november. there is a dirtbiking experience around the island so i'll have that set up for him so he can feel at home :D

Thread Info