Food / Drink Whats for dinner tonight TCG?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
luv2uvz.gif
I should invest in the company. They’re going to be around for another 977 years!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Just had this. Place is so fucking good.

Chicken shawarma wrap, spicy.
My son worked there when he was in HS. I forgot that place was actually there lol.
The chicken shawarma was on point when he worked there. Might have to go there this week.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
PXL_20230201_140816572.jpeg

this is from one of my fave restaurants here, a fave because i try so many proteins. the menu says it is tapas style and to think of 1 dish = app, 2 dishes = main; the reality is the sizes are fairly generous and i am quite full after 3, especially if i eat all the rice. most people do 2 or less.

i always get the shrimp with thai spicy mango salsa (right) and typically the paenang beef (comes with the rice) at the top, then have been trying other new dishes. the left is the pork belly tacos, they were quite good. my fave, and the chef's last we chat, is the tom yum risotto with fish, which is super good. pictured below in the top left. also the beef and shrimp this day. have additionally tried a squid dish and pork cheek one.

PXL_20230113_134328503.jpeg

i think the latter pic is my favorite combo, in any case, everything has always been delicious there, and me likey getting to try all the proteins. typically i don't drink and just get a diet pop or a soda water, as is the case above. with small tip tonight i paid 680 thai baht. this is the most i ever pay for dinner. it is about $20.75.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
although i rarely drink, went ham and had a lot of food yesterday out and about and for dinner (before 2 desserts at home) - had a dark stout. included starter is some chips and salsa, usually some small breads and olive paste or something here. this is a swedish owned restaurant, they have thai dishes, swedish, and western.
PXL_20230204_102911870.jpeg

"Nam tok is either a soup or a meat salad from Southeast Asia. In the Lao and Thai language, the phrase means waterfall. The meat salad in Lao cuisine is just a sliced instead of minced meat version of larb, Laos' national dish."

"The name supposedly refers to the fact that there is still "water", or liquid, in the meat, that is, blood. The "dressing" of this meat-based salad is made with ground roasted rice, ground dried chillies, fish sauce, lime juice, shallots and mint leaves. It can also feature spring onions."

i had the tapas size version of this as an appetizer. it's like super tasty beef with a salty spicy citrusy kick.
PXL_20230204_103324927.jpeg

i had a bacon cheeseburger, for a small exercise in self control i asked for a side salad instead of the fries. burger was super tasty.
PXL_20230204_104747490.jpeg

all in iirc i paid 680 thb. this is about $20.37 today. same price as my other dinner above actually.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so i got up "early" yesterday for my pre-work dinner to try this place out known as "the guy doing sush in the jungle" which is basically this japanese guy who lived in tokyo and new york and doesn't work as a professional chef but occasionally takes in guests for a single table night of japanese stuff in the jungle. you generally have to have a reference from someone to schedule a dinner, he gives you the location day of, i'm not sure how often he does this or even why it is so secretive, i guess because it is on a grey line of working here or not. it's not like you can just walk in here though and order some food. also there were 2 ways to get to it, the one way everyone else took was not really off the beaten path at all - the path i took was definitely "where the fucking fuck am i" like deep off the beaten path on shit dirt roads with barely anything at all in it, including a very rare thai house. if my bike broke down it would have been shitty, if that happened and my phone ran out of juice i would have been pretty well fucked out in the middle of nowhere with at best some starlight and adjusted eyes...

in any case it was like chef's choice set menu, ya get what ya get. i don't really do sushi or sashimi but figured what the hell let's try.

green tea and seaweed salad
PXL_20230208_124512333.jpeg

miso soup with some tofu he made
PXL_20230208_124817905.jpeg

3 types of mushrooms with some kind of egg thing, egg custard tofu? i would have eaten much more if more kept coming out.
PXL_20230208_125141770.jpeg

vegetable rolls
PXL_20230208_130841240.jpeg

sashimi - there was sea bass, snapper, and tuna. i'm not really a raw fish guy but i put it down for the protein, think my order of preference was tuna, sea bass, snapper
PXL_20230208_134044794.jpeg

PXL_20230208_134057511.jpeg

chocolate cake - it was made with cacao he roasted, he said the flavor was very strong/bitter so iirc it was mixed with both some beans he also got elsewhere plus murasaki which are purple japanese sweet potatoes. the cake was quite good and had an awesome crumb crust.
PXL_20230208_143603773.jpeg

was 1100 thai baht, about $32.80.

it was an interesting experience. would i do it again? maybe, but in no rush. i think the group of people would matter more than the food, i can find both quick and longer ways i'd enjoy spending 1100 baht on food.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Started making the Chili last night. browned up the beef, onions, and other stuff in the pan, added in the rest, tossed it in the oven at 180*, then went to bed.

Woke up this morning to the epic smells.

Avoided having a bowl for breakfast.

3.3lbs of Chili now ready for have for dinners this next week. Sometimes ChiliMac, sometimes Chilidogs, sometimes just straight Chili!

Reactions: Jamesv82

Thread Info