What's for Christmas Dinner?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm cooking some pork carnitas tonight. Will probably serve it for dinner tomorrow. Had to pick up some lard to get that authentic Mexican flavor. Man, the house smells good.

Sunday, Christmas Eve, we're going to a friend's party and he's having the event catered. Hoping for something tasty.

Christmas is the piece de resistance. I'm doing a brisket on the Weber with fruit wood chips to give it some smoke flavor. Can't overpower it with hickory or Amy won't eat it.

You guys have plans?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I make rouladen just like my Oma (grandma) made them.

Thin cut beef, bacon, onions, salt, and pepper rolled up and tied. It gets cooked in a bag with some water and spices. Traditionally it includes a pickle but seems most people we are eating with don't like the pickle.

Then add sides of potato dumplings, red cabbage (with sugar), corn, and carrots.

3cb73020eca7372dba1b19c88ade6c7a.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Man, if you guys have never made pork carnitas, do it sometime. I made an entire pork butt 1/2 so I have plenty. Decided to have a snack after having this for dinner and it's even more phenomenal after the flavors have blended in the fridge for a while. The pork flavor from the orange and spices is complex where the flavor keeps hitting as you chew. The tomatillo/jalapeno salsa is great. I sort of followed this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN2y17BsySg

I added cumin and a LOT of salt. Didn't have Mexican Coke so I used Raw (I think it's called Turbinado or Raw in grocery stores) sugar. Needed the salt to compensate for the sweetness in the pork from the sugar and orange. I also drizzled the tacos with lime. Chopped onions are a must. They balance the flavors with bursts of onion. Hide them in there or tell your kids to eat them or else. :smile: You can heat up a pan and fry the tortillas then use the same pan with a little oil to caramelize the pork just to the point that some of the pieces have browned sides. I put a little Sriracha on it, too, but decided I like it better without it This pic's from dinner. The snack had no Sriracha and more onions. So good.

x2wZN10.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
We celebrate both today and tomorrow.

Today we go celebrate Mexican style with my kids God Parents family in the city.
Homemade Lechon (pork), tamales, Mexican rice, beans and hot dog soup, salsa and bunch of other shit.

Tomorrow we celebrate at home.
Honey Baked ham, smoking a bone in turkey breast, homemade broccoli/rice casserole, stuffing, and rolls.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info