Whats better??

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
why do you guys gotta rip on him. either offer good advice or stay out of the thread.

Xtant12...take the time to learn how to use your Powrtuner before you mod your car further. Yeah...it is difficult to get started, but anyone on here that tunes their car started from the same place as you.

There is plenty of information of the PT and HPT forums to get you started. This is a good primer using the PT:
http://wiki.opentuner3800.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Also, this PDF will give you a good overview of modern EFI concepts:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/New%20Jun%202003/Holley%20Commander%20950%20EFI%20system%20Manual.pdf

The more mods you add...the more it becomes critical that you know how to tailor your tune to compensate for weather, changes in gas blends through the year, etc. Paying someone else to tune your car for you will only get you so far.

I'm sure if you showed some initiative to actually tune your car...you'd get better responses/help from the rest of us.

That's my 2 cents.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I dont really think he has belt slip, it's just that some changes in his setup caused him to lose boost and it was assumed it was belt slip.

The setup is capable of good times. I'd say into the 12s in current form with some more time put into it.

I will actually answer the question how I should have answered it without being a douche now...

I think the benefits of a well designed cam will overcome the benefits of bolt on rockers. I love the powerband a cam gives to the car, and others can attest to the fact that my car makes pretty brutal PAH in the upper RPM ranges. It sounds cool too, but of course you have downfalls of poor bottom end when daily driving.

Just dont go to some silly stage 563 cam for "the sound" like clubGP. or I will continue my position of tool basher like I do on CGP.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
So I was at work all day and couldn't get on but i will say its good to see so many comments. Now its my turn, my signature was the first mods I had, the 2nd one is what I have now. I will edit it so its easier to get, I do admit it can throw you off. I have tried to use my power tuner in the past and my car turned off and wouldn't start. After that I stopped. All I need is someone to show me a few times and im sure ill get the hang of it.

As for the F body, my goal was to beat 1 of them. ( I know your reading this ) Horist was the one who got me into the GTP's. I finally got one and then his ass switched to his ws6 full time. Im going to take him down one day!! LOL As for the BMX guy, I have learned a TON from ILGPC members like Mr. Syp, 1fastGTP,panda,Mikes3,Sins, Ron, ect. The ONLY thing I am unable to do is basically tune successfully. I plan to keep my GTP forever because I find it funny that people are so quick to jump on something bigger and better. I prefer to take the time and make it as fast as I can.

Mook, thanks for the kind words.

I do have belt slip because I hear the belt tearing over the pulley at 5k. I ran it last week and at about 96mph i was at 13lbs of boost and it slipped like crazy and dropped to 9. I have to figure this out but its a timely process. I was thinking of a cam but I hear rockers are instant power/trq. I just wanted thoughts on what might have been a better solution, didnt expect all the bashing and junk your car talk.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Rockers really arent felt until above 5000 RPMs. A cam totally changes the way an engine acts due to it changing the timing the valves open and close, and for how long they stay open and closed. A VS cam would out do a rocker setup any day of the week.

Anyone telling you rockers are better then a cam is a fool, or just blew up a couple engines. :hsugh:

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
See im learning

X2

Rockers really arent felt until above 5000 RPMs.../ /...Anyone telling you rockers are better then a cam is a fool, or just blew up a couple engines. :hsugh:

I have not blown my motor, but I have had to get the trans fixed. 1X because the clutches were slipping & 1X because the drive chain was stretched. The guy who did the work didn't check it at all.

Xtant; good thread. I really need to learn more about tuning.

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
Like stated above go with the cam. esp. if you already have a decent amount of go-fast-parts. I have read good things about the xp, but that's something I would be interested in not for your particular setup. As for the guys saying switch to a f body ignore them. Anyone can come in here and bash and say get this.......get that blah blah blah. Look for a cam that suits your needs, and find someone who can teach you how to tune I'm sure there is someone on here that can do that.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Like stated above go with the cam. esp. if you already have a decent amount of go-fast-parts. I have read good things about the xp, but that's something I would be interested in not for your particular setup. As for the guys saying switch to a f body ignore them. Anyone can come in here and bash and say get this.......get that blah blah blah. Look for a cam that suits your needs, and find someone who can teach you how to tune I'm sure there is someone on here that can do that.

I like this guy!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info