• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

whats a kenne bell 2.1 worth

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Yes, I got one of the first 2.1L's back in 2006 from Modular Power House. It was the next version for the 2V after the 1.7L. I paid $7k for the tune, install, and kit. If someone paid $7k just for the kit, they got hosed for sure.

I am kind of curious how much they go for used. I used to think about selling mine and upgrading to a more powerful blower...not so much these days though.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
found a comlpete 2.1 setup for a 2v... what are they worth? dude mentioned when he bought it new he spent 7g on it.. eek!!!

used whats it all worth?

Shoot, I think I bought my KB2.2 kit for the 2v brand new in 2006 for less than that!

I could see paying $3500 to $4500...

Offer him $2500

A used KB2.1 with all components for install into the GT would probably go for about a little over $2k I bet. To double check pricing, hop onto modularfords or corral to see what members are getting out of theirs on a regular basis; and then adjust offer accordingly. This is just off the top of my head.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I wouldnt pay more than 2k for a used KB for a 2v.

4v KBs are where it's at!

Until you get your ass whopped by a 2v KB GT in a ported Eaton 4v. Though there are not a lot of them done up right, they still do exist. Don't discount the 2v. I have personally built a few back in the day to be monsters whether it be with KB blower or big DP shot of nitrous on a single plane Vic Jr. intake.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I love my 2.1 on my 2 valve, made 500 whp And 525 torque, but I'm planning on selling it this winter, I seen complete inter cooled kits go anywhere from 2800-4000 for a low miles non polished used unit. Reason selling the 2 valve to expensive to build and want turbos, not sure yet what power plant will be going in its place.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I love my 2.1 on my 2 valve, made 500 whp And 525 torque, but I'm planning on selling it this winter, I seen complete inter cooled kits go anywhere from 2800-4000 for a low miles non polished used unit. Reason selling the 2 valve to expensive to build and want turbos, not sure yet what power plant will be going in its place.

What else do you have done on your car for that power level with the 2.1L? How much boost?

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
There was nothing wrong with the 1.7 or the 1.9's at all. Sure, they were a little limited for the power they could produce; but still easily made over 400rwhp on a non-aggressive tune.

I didnt mean that because of the blowers ability, i meant it in the sense that you could find a much better blower for not much more money. Really no point in buying a 1.7 kit when ive seen 2.6 2v and 3v kits go for $3000 to $4000

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Code:
Until you get your ass whopped by a 2v KB GT in a ported Eaton 4v. Though there are not a lot of them done up right, they still do exist. Don't discount the 2v. I have personally built a few back in the day to be monsters whether it be with KB blower or big DP shot of nitrous on a single plane Vic Jr. intake.

This.

I was riding in my buddies 2.1 2v when he put 2 cars on doodad in his pullied eaton cobra

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I didnt mean that because of the blowers ability, i meant it in the sense that you could find a much better blower for not much more money. Really no point in buying a 1.7 kit when ive seen 2.6 2v and 3v kits go for $3000 to $4000

Therein lies the issue. Most people have not and do not build their 2v or 4v modular Fords to properly take advantage of the bigger blower such as the 2.6. Just as with anything that compresses air, there is an efficiency range. Fall within it and you are making great hp/psi boost, fall out of it and you make less; sometimes substantially less. I have seen way too many folks get 2.6's and 2.8's only to pulley them to sub-20psi levels and then wonder why they make less power per psi boost than some of the smaller displacement blowers. Using a 2.6 and spinning it really low just means more mechanical drag has been put on the drivetrain while operating a blower that isn't in its efficiency range. I see that as a waste of money and leaving power on the table. Most folks who aren't shooting for truly large numbers would be absolutely fine with the smaller blowers. So, while I do see your point, I also submit that the blower size should first be matched to the intended usage before arbitrarily deciding on a model. Someone planning to remain on the stock 4.6 2v bottom end has no need of the added cost and reduced efficiency of a needlessly large blower. This bigger is better mentality happens in the aftermarket turbo industry even more according to what I have seen.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
What else do you have done on your car for that power level with the 2.1L? How much boost?

Stock long block never been opened up, but I think I lost a valve, ring or hole in piston, smokes like crazy but doesn't miss a beat. I'm running full bassani exhaust no cats, e85, bigger radiator, electric water pump, full return fuel system ( if and whenever motor change happens) and 14 psi on stock 6 rib pulleys with no belt slip. Was tuned by kurgan last year. Been on car for 10k miles, 9 psi pump gas for 5k miles, 11 psi (450 whp, 470 wtq) pump for 3k miles and 14 psi on e85 for 2k miles. Intake air charge never crossed 130s on Dyno with 2 pulls back to back.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Therein lies the issue. Most people have not and do not build their 2v or 4v modular Fords to properly take advantage of the bigger blower such as the 2.6. Just as with anything that compresses air, there is an efficiency range. Fall within it and you are making great hp/psi boost, fall out of it and you make less; sometimes substantially less. I have seen way too many folks get 2.6's and 2.8's only to pulley them to sub-20psi levels and then wonder why they make less power per psi boost than some of the smaller displacement blowers. Using a 2.6 and spinning it really low just means more mechanical drag has been put on the drivetrain while operating a blower that isn't in its efficiency range. I see that as a waste of money and leaving power on the table. Most folks who aren't shooting for truly large numbers would be absolutely fine with the smaller blowers. So, while I do see your point, I also submit that the blower size should first be matched to the intended usage before arbitrarily deciding on a model. Someone planning to remain on the stock 4.6 2v bottom end has no need of the added cost and reduced efficiency of a needlessly large blower. This bigger is better mentality happens in the aftermarket turbo industry even more according to what I have seen.

I agree completely, but most people willing to drop $4000 on a blower, new or used, are willing to spend $4-6 on a shortblock for when the stock one goes and will then up the boost. Now you have a blower that is too little for the power you want with your new forged shortblock and you have to buy another blower that will give you the power you want.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I agree completely, but most people willing to drop $4000 on a blower, new or used, are willing to spend $4-6 on a shortblock for when the stock one goes and will then up the boost. Now you have a blower that is too little for the power you want with your new forged shortblock and you have to buy another blower that will give you the power you want.

This is the exact reason I went with the Paxton Novi 2000 vs. a Novi 1000/Vortech S-Trim/P-1SC. My blower right now is out of its efficiency range, but makes great power and is fun to drive. When I decide to or am forced to upgrade to a built motor, that is when the real fun will begin.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That is my only regret with the 2.1L. At the time, I was a bit of a newb and believed their ad that said you could make 750hp with that blower. I figured in time I would build the motor and get to that level.

The only way that 2.1L would get there is with spray and additional supporting mods. I would have been better off getting a bigger blower and just swapping the motor alone to get to that power level.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL

I don't know about that. There are many many people who are perfectly content to just throw a blower onto their car and keep it relatively low boost on the stock engine. Most people that I have run into have been this way, with only a select few of us (this forum being one example) where that trend is reversed. We are the exception, not the norm. Of course those who think they will upgrade in the future should get a blower that they can grow into. However, most car folks that you meet out and about do not build their engines with forged/billet internals and plan to run 600+rwhp. Most car folks are pretty happy with less than that especially at an immense cost savings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info