What would you do?

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
You're gonna turn left at a 4-way intersection. A school bus with its lights on pulls up going the opposite way and stops at the intersection. You stop. The bus's lights are no longer blinking and their stop sign is not out. You wait 9 seconds and nothing happens. You know it was 9 seconds because you were singing along to a song and later looked up that song and counted how long the part you were singing was. At this point you assume the bus driver is letting you turn. So you give em the "thank you" wave and start turning. When you're in the middle of the intersection, the bus's lights go on and their stop sign goes out. They lay on their horn for a few seconds until you're far past the intersection.

Who was in the wrong?

nI35HbG.png

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
At that point, I'd say the bus driver is in the wrong.

I tend to get annoyed with them for the most part, but, I understand they deal with a-holes all the time that go past them when the red lights and signage is out.

I had an instance a while back on a big four-lane street with a median. The bus was going opposite of me (for some reason, I was the only car going that direction in that moment) and the driver had signs out, blasted the horn and started yelling at me to stop. Sorry buddy, opposite traffic on busy streets do not stop, unless this is a small two-way road. That is different.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
At that point, I'd say the bus driver is in the wrong.

I tend to get annoyed with them for the most part, but, I understand they deal with a-holes all the time that go past them when the red lights and signage is out.

I had an instance a while back on a big four-lane street with a median. The bus was going opposite of me (for some reason, I was the only car going that direction in that moment) and the driver had signs out, blasted the horn and started yelling at me to stop. Sorry buddy, opposite traffic on busy streets do not stop, unless this is a small two-way road. That is different.

median makes the difference there. If no median, you are supposed to stop no matter how many lanes.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Have had similar done to me with a bus parked on the side of the road. I pulled up slow and stopped for about 5 seconds because the amber lights were on solid. I started rolling forward and all of a sudden the horn went bezerk and she whipped her window open and ripped open the stop sign from the side of the bus by hand. Like don’t the red lights mean stop?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
median makes the difference there. If no median, you are supposed to stop no matter how many lanes.

False. This actually changed a few years ago. For any 4 lane road with at least 2 lanes in each direction (regardless of median) opposing traffic should not stop even without a median. Bus drivers are not allowed to have kids cross a 4 lane road.

Now it's dangerous when motorists slam on the brakes and stop on a busy road when they shouldn't because they don't know the law.

https://www.isbe.net/Documents/bus_safety_motorist.pdf

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/schoolbussafety5542.pdf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info