What would you do; Spend my money

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I didn’t see anything about his finances so I cannot comment on that being “a lot” for him or not. I also do not see telling your wife you can no longer have the car you like because I’ve deemed it costs too much now.

Post 18 - appears $800 / mos would be ideal

Post 34 -STI is staying

In the end, seems an Expedition or Suburban are being sought out

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Wasn't taking a shot at you. I just laugh at how you guys point out very real, common issues with these trucks, then cmntmxr recommends them anyways and says they're "proven and reliable", lol. Just ignore the trans issues, afm issues, oil consumption etcetc that was being discussed.

1) I never said they were perfect and even called that out in post #48 (I mean, I worked on them for a living at one point in time in a Chevy service department, so them having problems kept me employed...). But I will take a small block GM motor in a 3-ton brick, all day long...

2) When asked if I had any experience with the ford, I said NO. Nowhere have I bashed it either.

3) I was originally advocating another GMT-800 (that's what he has now, just in a a half-ton package), in 3/4 ton, with a Big Block (the 8.1L) if MPG's weren't a key. He could still get a second row bench (instead of captains chairs), that could be had cheap and still meeting his towing needs. And because he didn't break the bank getting it (as can be seen by the one I posted), he could probably keep the other toys in his driveway and not have to sacrifice. The conversation between He (Das) and others started leaning towards GMT-900's and then He himself pointed to a GMT-K2YC. Nothing wrong with either of those generations. They all have plusses/minusses. AFM doesn't impact every single engine GM made and I'd still place my bets on it over other choices.

Reactions: Outlaw

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wasn't taking a shot at you. I just laugh at how you guys point out very real, common issues with these trucks, then cmntmxr recommends them anyways and says they're "proven and reliable", lol. Just ignore the trans issues, afm issues, oil consumption etcetc that was being discussed.

He swings way too hard.

Remmeber the cadillac thread he was advocating the caddy in? Dude lost his ass on it? That one. Yeah.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If it was ME buying something to fit the needs you've laid out in descending order... Only reason I put GMT800 on top is because cost of entry is low, and you could ditch a payment altogether and have more $$$ in the bank every month to take more trips.

1) Rust free GMT-800 2500 Sub/Yukon XL with either engine. The 6.0 WILL tow that camper just fine. A run of the mill tune, enable active fueling and they drive 100 times better than they do stock. Has that 5.3 responsiveness like the 1500's do. Either keep the STI and Accord at that point, or kick the Accord and DD this with little or NO payment.

2) K2YC 1500- Replace accord. Pretty self explanitory.

3) Rust free GMT-900 2500 Sub/Yukon XL with 6.0/6spd. They're getting cheap. Almost clean 800 territory cheap. Better for your towing needs, and going with a 3/4 ton eliminates the AFM/DOD/Oil consumption concerns. Will return 14-15mpg with 3.73's if you don't drive like an asshole. Tunes do wonders for them as well. Chances are you'll have to have SOME sort of a payment on one of these, but it would either be a short term or low dollar amount per month.

I wish I had any sort of seat time in an Expedition to put that on the table, I just don't.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh also. My words about the 6 speed, it really doesn't seem that they are as bullet proof as everyone makes them out to be. daturbosix daturbosix how many 6l80e's you get to fux with?

Additionally... They typically had horseshit gear ratios. Meaning you'd like never see 5th or 6th gear towing.

If you've got a thing to get mpgs get a Gmt800 3/4 ton...

What's this camper weigh? Dry? Wet?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Wait

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Atlanta is a gold mine for rust free shit.

Stop touting 156000 miles like that's cool. Thing will rust away before it sees 200.

Id rather have a rust free one from the dirty dirt south with 300k miles on it and not look back.

Exactly what I was bidding on in Concord, NC last Thrusday... 2015 Silverado 2500 4x4. CCSB LT Trim. Truck looked immaculate. 302,000 miles.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Oh also. My words about the 6 speed, it really doesn't seem that they are as bullet proof as everyone makes them out to be. daturbosix daturbosix how many 6l80e's you get to fux with?

Additionally... They typically had horseshit gear ratios. Meaning you'd like never see 5th or 6th gear towing.

If you've got a thing to get mpgs get a Gmt800 3/4 ton...

What's this camper weigh? Dry? Wet?

They suck with 3.42's that's for sure. 3.73/4.10's I've never had many complaints.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] to answer your first question

im not buying a gmt900 burban because im not dicking around with afm/dod bullshit.

sure some people are "fine" but meh. im not going to dick with it.
find a 2006 ltz burban and let me envy the shit out of it.

6.0 1500 goodness.
or find one of these .... that isn't bulletproof

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Chevr...049428?hash=item23c0c5e294:g:5BgAAOSw1phdI4DP

6.0 1500goodness.

s-l500.jpg

edit.... oh.. it's bulletproof AF. :nutz:

fuckin' batmobile shit.

1GNFK36YX9R217560-20.jpg
Hey slut

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Man; this shit lit up!

I test drove a 2016 Expedition EL Limited today; in all seriousness I think it’s the superior truck across the board after driving it compared to a 16 Burb. It rides smoother, better visibility, more power (and feels more Spry).... the door cards and dash aren’t as “Nice”; that’s about it....?

Reactions: Rent Free

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Trailers only ~5000?

Another thread you said 6500 loaded ish?

Leaves less than a thousand pounds...

Serious question; how much is rust repair for rockers on GMT800 trucks if they just POR15 it or something like that...?

Too much. And it's not a fix. It's a bandaid. The rust will come back.

Reactions: Outlaw and Bub
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info