What would you do; Spend my money

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Shares platform with the most sold truck on the planet....? The main differences seem to be that the material quality in the Burb is nicer than the Expo and that the Burb uses a powerplant that has decades behind it and not a few years admittedly. meanwhile Expos are proven to have better ride quality and better loading because of their IRS and unladen seem to get reliably better mpg?

This is why I asked what your planned timeframe of ownership is going to be.

If it's only going to be a couple years, a cheaper, strong stat sheet, and where not long term reliability isn't as critical on your checklist, this might be your ticket. But if you plan on owning it for many years...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
He's like me. Owning it forever will be roundabout 18 months.

I always look at what I'm buying from a resale perspective. Are you going to have a hard time kicking the expo when the market share is dominated by its competitor? Is it going to follow the depreciation trend that all of its predecessors have followed? That's the kind of stuff that I typically look at when buying something north of $10,000 because I know myself all too well, and like you Dasfinc Dasfinc we get bored, and I know we both don't like being pigeon holed into a sinking ship from a depreciation standpoint.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm not sure on expo MPG, but a cautious driver like myself pretty consistently saw 17-19 MPG tank averages in my parents 2018 Yukon when I had it for a couple weeks last year while they needed my F350.

I think the biggest thing that bugs me with the expo's is the IRS. Unless they've drastically changed it since the last one I drove, which was a 2008 I believe, it just felt top heavy. Maybe air ride helps, maybe they've revamped stuff. I know the next-gen Tahoe/Sub is going the same way, so I'm genuinely curious on what improvements they have made to make me not feel like I'm driving a loaded box truck around turns.

2014 Ford moved to a Mechanical load-leveling system away from Air, haven't read much into it past that.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Did I miss something or is that thing far more loaded for an XLT trim than it should be?

Yea; it's a fully-loaded XLT, every box is Checked (Sunroof, Max Tow, 202A). There's a "Limited" one locally with the same mileage and options but they want $4000 more for it....

The Dealer can't articulate to me why their limited is worth 4,000 more than the loaded XLT other than Rain Sensing Windshield wipers and different wheels.... the MSRP was only $1200 different...

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
2014 Ford moved to a Mechanical load-leveling system away from Air, haven't read much into it past that.

Interesting. Air could've been what was doing it. I'm not sure. I do know they're a good ride on the highway. I personally would be using a 3/4 ton to tow your camper, but I just like having overkill in the tow vehicle department. The major leap in 1500 towing capacities, along with much more "realistic" figures came with the 2015+ Subs, so I would say that's a safe bet. I have nothing bad to say about the Expeditions, simply because I have nothing at all to say about them. I do like how the SWB trucks look with all the paint matched bumpers and grille. I know that for sure.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I hate the idea of an 07+ 1500 burban.

AFM, typically horseshit gear ratios, you'll eat up a six speed quicker than you can say "minty".

Unless you want 3/4 ton burb. Then do that.
You can but mechanical parts are still there. Afm lifters generally collapse and stick down so a tune where they arenā€™t constantly actuating has to be better, just not as good as a mechanical delete.
What I do know is as far as AFM trucks go, the oil consumption issues seemed to be resolved by 2011. AFM still had its faults, but like mentioned a tune will help from what I've seen.

If it was me, I would go with 14-17 1500 Suburban. The 07-13 trucks are rusting out BAD. If rust is a reason you want to kick your GMT 800 then stay away from the 900's.

No.

What I do know is that Suburban's are a known commodity, with a proven time tested powertrain.
^^^ :bowrofl: Literally can not make this shit up

What about this guy?

2016 Expo EL

Regardless of how much I like to make fun of the resident GM leghumpers, I'd also go with a '15+ burb or tahoe. I wouldn't want a gen 1 EB personally.

Reactions: bikrboy128

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I own six Ford trucks... Wasn't referring to you, was actually replying to FirstWorldProblems N20GT 's post.

All I can speak from is experience. I've probably towed more diverse loads with more vehicles than 90% of the weekend warriors out there. I've done a lot of that towing with 3/4 ton Suburbans and some lighter stuff with my 2001 Tahoe, 97 Suburban, etc. I've also done some with a '99 and 2008 Expedition and can tell you hands down that I would take any of the GM offerings over the Ford because it felt very unstable loaded down, especially of concern with a topheavy sail that most bumper pull campers are. Add in luggage, dogs and children and I'm pushing him towards what I felt the safest in towing with of the two. I actually jumped ship from GM and went to Ford because of the 07-14 Trucks, so if that makes me a nutswinger I'm swinging from three trees currently. Just speaking from my experience, which goes far beyond towing a car on an aluminum open trailer 30 miles to a racetrack in a Chevy 1500.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
^^^ :bowrofl: Literally can not make this shit up

Regardless of how much I like to make fun of the resident GM leghumpers, I'd also go with a '15+ burb or tahoe. I wouldn't want a gen 1 EB personally.
Not sure what part Iā€™m involved with, was just speaking to afm and itā€™s failure vs success with a tune. I know nothing of the expedition so didnā€™t bother commenting on it because canā€™t speak to it one way or the other :dunno:

I actually suggested YOUR truck as an option earlier though :rofl:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Not sure what part Iā€™m involved with, was just speaking to afm and itā€™s failure vs success with a tune. I know nothing of the expedition so didnā€™t bother commenting on it because canā€™t speak to it one way or the other :dunno:

I actually suggested YOUR truck as an option earlier though :rofl:
Wasn't taking a shot at you. I just laugh at how you guys point out very real, common issues with these trucks, then cmntmxr recommends them anyways and says they're "proven and reliable", lol. Just ignore the trans issues, afm issues, oil consumption etcetc that was being discussed.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just like to write off GM for the bailout dark ages until their redesigns in 2015. I also run HD trucks that didnā€™t have any of the AFM, oil consumption, etc issues so that helps.

Theyā€™re all junk as far as Iā€™m concerned. I was swearing by the 6.2 gas F-250/350ā€™s and now Iā€™m seeing the timing chain issues coming out of the woodwork.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Wasn't taking a shot at you. I just laugh at how you guys point out very real, common issues with these trucks, then cmntmxr recommends them anyways and says they're "proven and reliable", lol. Just ignore the trans issues, afm issues, oil consumption etcetc that was being discussed.
Aaaaaahhh gotcha. I mean I love gm vehicles but they have some real shitty issues for sure. Just need to either accept it as something thatā€™ll need to be addressed or shop elsewhere.

every manufacturer has their shortcomings. Nothing is perfect. A friend is taking his EB f150 back in at the end of the month for cam phasers because of the terrible noises they make. Tech at the dealer said they finally have updated parts that fix the very common issue.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Theyā€™re all junk as far as Iā€™m concerned.
Basically this. Buy what you like and has a relatively average chance of failure. No manufacturer among the big 3 is more reliable than another, that's why I laugh when people turn a blind eye to all the fuckups of their "favorite" while laughing at everyone else. I drive a ford, shits gonna break, there's 82734982374983274 of them on the road, and they'll probably go bankrupt, but it looks good and it's fast for a stock truck so IDC.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info