What would you do; Spend my money

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just genera curiosity as far as what others would do in my situation car/truck wise.

TL;DR - Do I ditch the Accord and Suburban for a 2009-2014 Suburban/Expedition, a 2016-2017 Suburban/Expedition, or should I pump some money into the Suburban and sell the accord to Avoid having the note to sock away extra cash

Right now we have 2 car notes; the 2019 Subaru STI and the 2019 Accord Sport.

the notes are $600 and $550 respectively, the Subaru is only 1.49% for 72 and the Honda is 2.9%

I own a 26 foot, ~5000lb camping travel trailer that we used frequently last season and I fully intend to use even more heavily this year.

The tow rig is my 2003 Suburban Z71.
First the Bad;
Front diff whines noticeably while in 4x4
Rust has claimed the pass side rear most rocker, and itā€™s likely bad under the plastics as well.
Trans has slight 2-3 flare while cold. Doesnā€™t manifest at all while in tow/haul.

The good;
It has 156,000 miles on it
Grey interior with second row captains chairs
Fuel pump and brakes lines already replaced
Brakes and hubs also done.
Just installed a new Y-Pipe.
Is ā€œsetup how I like itā€ - Aux lighting, tow mirrors, hard wired dash cam/radar, generally did a killer job on the 3 hour drives we took the trailer on.

So hereā€™s the dilemma; the Accord is an excellent car, smooth, comfortable, fast, feature reach, good mpg, etc etc; but my work commute is only 16 miles either way and Iā€™m not comfortable towing long distance with the Suburban as it sits.

I donā€™t know what I expected to happen honestly, but I donā€™t think the Accord is the right thing to have a payment on.

that being said; Iā€™m looking to do one of 3 things;
Trade in the Accord and sell the Burb for;

1) 13-14 Suburban/Expedition EL with under 100k miles for 15-20k (big round numbers, but about what I see them go for good examples). My payment would be about the same, but the term would only be 3 years (2.9 for 3 years via Penfed).

2) 2016-2017 Suburban/Expedition EL with under 100k miles for $30k (expos seem to have 70k Vs 100k on the Burbs). Financially the payment would still be about the same

Fuel will cost about $800-1000 more annually; insurance will go down by about $300 going from 2-1 vehicle.

3) sell the accord and drive the Suburban until I send the 4L60 into the stratosphere while towing my trailer and entire family........ maybe buy an HP Tuners to help increase the transmissions longevity. Deal with the replacement another day.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
side-note; buying a 05-06 2500 burb from down south was also on my radar, but at the end of the day, it would be a 15 year old truck and no matter the condition will certainly need upkeep/maintenance.

that and newer half ton Burbs and Expos are rated to tow nearly as much anyways with their respective tow packages.

Would also consider a Sequoia if the right deal/trim/ color combo popped up.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Just genera curiosity as far as what others would do in my situation car/truck wise.

TL;DR - Do I ditch the Accord and Suburban for a 2009-2014 Suburban/Expedition, a 2016-2017 Suburban/Expedition, or should I pump some money into the Suburban and sell the accord to Avoid having the note to sock away extra cash

Right now we have 2 car notes; the 2019 Subaru STI and the 2019 Accord Sport.

the notes are $600 and $550 respectively, the Subaru is only 1.49% for 72 and the Honda is 2.9%

I own a 26 foot, ~5000lb camping travel trailer that we used frequently last season and I fully intend to use even more heavily this year.

The tow rig is my 2003 Suburban Z71.
First the Bad;
Front diff whines noticeably while in 4x4
Rust has claimed the pass side rear most rocker, and itā€™s likely bad under the plastics as well.
Trans has slight 2-3 flare while cold. Doesnā€™t manifest at all while in tow/haul.

The good;
It has 156,000 miles on it
Grey interior with second row captains chairs
Fuel pump and brakes lines already replaced
Brakes and hubs also done.
Just installed a new Y-Pipe.
Is ā€œsetup how I like itā€ - Aux lighting, tow mirrors, hard wired dash cam/radar, generally did a killer job on the 3 hour drives we took the trailer on.

So hereā€™s the dilemma; the Accord is an excellent car, smooth, comfortable, fast, feature reach, good mpg, etc etc; but my work commute is only 16 miles either way and Iā€™m not comfortable towing long distance with the Suburban as it sits.

I donā€™t know what I expected to happen honestly, but I donā€™t think the Accord is the right thing to have a payment on.

that being said; Iā€™m looking to do one of 3 things;
Trade in the Accord and sell the Burb for;

1) 13-14 Suburban/Expedition EL with under 100k miles for 15-20k (big round numbers, but about what I see them go for good examples). My payment would be about the same, but the term would only be 3 years (2.9 for 3 years via Penfed).

2) 2016-2017 Suburban/Expedition EL with under 100k miles for $30k (expos seem to have 70k Vs 100k on the Burbs). Financially the payment would still be about the same

Fuel will cost about $800-1000 more annually; insurance will go down by about $300 going from 2-1 vehicle.

3) sell the accord and drive the Suburban until I send the 4L60 into the stratosphere while towing my trailer and entire family........ maybe buy an HP Tuners to help increase the transmissions longevity. Deal with the replacement another day.
lease an f150 for 300-400ā€™bucks a month depending on the term for 2-3 years and profit?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Keep the honda its worth the most and the 1 worth keeping the most.

Sell/Trade the Sti
Sell/Trade the old burban

Buy the newest burban you can with lowest mileage.

Navigator gets my vote to look at they tend to go cheap unless its the newest current bodystyle and those are 6 figures.

20k buys a damn nice ecoboost Navigator.

The STI is worth the most, and is definitely the better drive of the two (and is My wifeā€™s car effectively I just pay for it). The accords a good car; but the STI is better without a doubt.

20K does not get much in the way of an eco boost navigator or Expo; you NEED 2016-2017 for CarPlay, and I want AWD, so 28 is the low side Iā€™ve seen for trucks that havenā€™t been to the moon and back.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How much equity or loss do you have in the STI and Accord combined?

May be worth it to get rid of the rusty Burban, STI and Accord, go pick up a nicer Burban or Expedition on a single, lower note than those two combined

both are about net zero; which is amazing given they are a year old and purchased zero down. Iā€™d eat a grand on the accord if I traded it; but the tax incentive would offset it.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
The STI is worth the most, and is definitely the better drive of the two (and is My wifeā€™s car effectively I just pay for it). The accords a good car; but the STI is better without a doubt.

20K does not get much in the way of an eco boost navigator or Expo; you NEED 2016-2017 for CarPlay, and I want AWD, so 28 is the low side Iā€™ve seen for trucks that havenā€™t been to the moon and back.

Take the Sti out of the equation then?

I dont think or id be surprised if the Sti was worth more when its paid off or has better resale. :dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Can the dogs hang out in a camper top? Iā€™ve seen ecoboost f150ā€™s for $25k.

so this tow vehicle would also be a commuter?

Thatā€™d be the plan; I work in Rail technology so large SUVs and trucks are the norm on client sites as well.

the main issue with a camper top is heat/cold, I was talking to the wife about that and she was concerned not so much about them catapulting out of the truck as them cooking in the back without A/C on a long road trip which is a valid concern.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Take the Sti out of the equation then?

I dont think or id be surprised if the Sti was worth more when its paid off or has better resale. :dunno:

STIs hold their value surprisingly well if they are maintained well. All the cheap ones Iā€™ve seen are ragged or have major mechanical issues.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I agree with Lane then, Suburban. Only ā€œmajorā€ problems with a nnbs burb is the dashes crack in to little pieces, drivers motor mounts fail and the cooler lines seep. Motor mount is easy with an h3 mount and the cooler lines I fixed with push lock hoses and fittings. Dash, they make covers for and thatā€™s about it. People that have replaced them have had failures after a few years again and theyā€™re not cheap or easy.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I see the Sti as the most expensvie and the least worth keeping.

Id much rather punt the old burban and keep the Accord that cost less per month. It has got to be less per month insurance than the Sti. Has got to get better mileage than the Sti. And sorry but Id put the wife in an Accord and buy the newest nicest lowest mileage Suburban you can find then.

I honestly see no value keeping the Sti over the Accord. Sure it maybe more fun to drive but it cant see keeping it being worth more than keeping the Sti and selling/trade that Accord.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info