🏡 Better Homes What would you do..contractor edition

Blownbyyou

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Need general consensus here…. Cliffs of the story are here…

-Roof damage due to hail
-daughters friends dad is a general contractor, I wanted him to do the roof so I knew I could trust him
-quote was 31k and change
-got the bill for 33k
—1 part was for additional work that I asked for a quote to do more, never got the quote just the work done and bill for 975, thought that was insane so I complained and got it cut in half
—-2 the other 1100 was to replace boards, but I can tell they didn’t replace what they are telling me as the original wood is still fuxked up under the fascia

So do I call them out on the second part, and risk awkwardness , and never us or suggest him..

Or do I just eat the 1100

My wife is also friends with his wife

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Need general consensus here…. Cliffs of the story are here…

-Roof damage due to hail
-daughters friends dad is a general contractor, I wanted him to do the roof so I knew I could trust him
-quote was 31k and change
-got the bill for 33k
—1 part was for additional work that I asked for a quote to do more, never got the quote just the work done and bill for 975, thought that was insane so I complained and got it cut in half
—-2 the other 1100 was to replace boards, but I can tell they didn’t replace what they are telling me as the original wood is still fuxked up under the fascia

So do I call them out on the second part, and risk awkwardness , and never us or suggest him..

Or do I just eat the 1100

My wife is also friends with his wife

Have him come back and point out where the wood was replaced.

That said, you should have mentioned all concerns / questions at the same time, when the $975 was discussed.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
This is why I generally try not to do business with friends or family. I have seen my parents get burned a couple times.

I agree with treating it as a business transaction and let him know you're dissatisfied. If he cares about his business and stands behind his work, he will fix it and and there shouldn't be any awkwardness in the relationship. Unless he did the work himself, maybe he's unaware of the poor craftsmanship and would like to know that the guys he has working for him are cutting corners.

Blownbyyou

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
This is why I generally try not to do business with friends or family. I have seen my parents get burned a couple times.

I agree with treating it as a business transaction and let him know you're dissatisfied. If he cares about his business and stands behind his work, he will fix it and it and there shouldn't be any awkwardness in the relationship. Unless he did the work himself, maybe he's unaware of the poor craftsmanship and would like to know that the guys he has working for him are cutting corners.
He is just the gc, so he isn’t doing anything

v6buicks

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Idk man. If he's admitting fault that should only feel awkward for him. That's not on you anymore. Rest easy!

I agree with what LikeABauce302 LikeABauce302 was saying though. I don't hire friends anymore. I haven't been burned too badly, but I value my friendships too much for some labor to cause a strain.

Blownbyyou

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Idk man. If he's admitting fault that should only feel awkward for him. That's not on you anymore. Rest easy!

I agree with what LikeABauce302 LikeABauce302 was saying though. I don't hire friends anymore. I haven't been burned too badly, but I value my friendships too much for some labor to cause a strain.
I dont think he is admitting fault, i feel he is just saying anything to get out of it..

Shawn1112

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
real price is about half that, contractors do this shit to insurance and its why more and more people are getting fucked by insurers
So fucking true. When we had our first hail damage claim with State Farm 2.5yrs into home ownership. All the aluminum siding on the house, garage and shed needed to be replaced with vinyl. This is 20yrs ago and iirc the quotes ranged from $12k-$18k. My uncle at the time was in the remodeling biz and did siding as well. We offered State Farm to do the work ourselves for half the cost and they denied it. At the time we coulda bought all the material for less than $3k. It would up costing them $15k, I believe. Then the MFers dropped us for making a claim within the first 3yrs of home ownership lol.

About 5yrs ago, I paid out of pocket for a new roof including the decking. My guys brother owned a roofing company, so I bought the material and paid his guys cash.
All said and done, it costed me just under $6k. Exactly a year later we got a bad hail storm and it destroyed my brand new roof. Contractor charged my insurance company either $18k or $22k and that wasnt even new decking on the house as it was done the year before lol.

Blownbyyou

TCG Blue
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
So fucking true. When we had our first hail damage claim with State Farm 2.5yrs into home ownership. All the aluminum siding on the house, garage and shed needed to be replaced with vinyl. This is 20yrs ago and iirc the quotes ranged from $12k-$18k. My uncle at the time was in the remodeling biz and did siding as well. We offered State Farm to do the work ourselves for half the cost and they denied it. At the time we coulda bought all the material for less than $3k. It would up costing them $15k, I believe. Then the MFers dropped us for making a claim within the first 3yrs of home ownership lol.

About 5yrs ago, I paid out of pocket for a new roof including the decking. My guys brother owned a roofing company, so I bought the material and paid his guys cash.
All said and done, it costed me just under $6k. Exactly a year later we got a bad hail storm and it destroyed my brand new roof. Contractor charged my insurance company either $18k or $22k and that wasnt even new decking on the house as it was done the year before lol.
I did realize that i should have waited till october/november to have it done to save some money.. but ehh it wasn't my money.

But it wasn't just roofing for 31k

I also got all new gutters, fascia, soffit, skylights, power vents, frieze board coverings, etc.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info