What was your effective federal tax rate for 2018

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
What percent of your gross income went to federal tax after you received your refund

My effective tax rate was 5.5% wife doesn’t work and I have 2 kids I took the standard deduction

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
well, your refund is what you over paid on your taxes, so not quite sure how you want us to figure that out.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
well, your refund is what you over paid on your taxes, so not quite sure how you want us to figure that out.
Take your federal tax amount subtract your return

Say you paid 10k your return was 5k and your gross income was 100k

Your effective tax rate is 5%

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
In order to calculate your refund, you'd have to already have calculated your overall tax liability. Just take your overall tax liability and divide by your gross income.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
HK loves horsecock.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
So how are you guys getting to negative? Finding enough deductions to wash away all your income and then taking tax credits?

Friggen awesome by the way!
I wouldn't have negative if it wasn't for closing my wife's company down last year. She has a loss on the books which carries over to her return through the k1. That effectively put our taxable income extremely low, then all the deductions and credits.

But it comes at a price.... Our return has a higher degree of being flagged for audit or review. According to Turbotax, our ETR is -22.5% if I recall correctly. So this is basically a one time thing since we're no longer using her company.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
So how are you guys getting to negative? Finding enough deductions to wash away all your income and then taking tax credits?

Friggen awesome by the way!
"low income" plus 3 kids = profit. wifes "business / job" 1099 was sub 8k income. and im sub 60k. and add in business deductions. turbo tax walked her through it i glanced it over. all looked good. submitted and approved.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
15.2% in 2017. Looks like 2018 is shaping up to be about 14.5% despite us making much more than we did in 2017. Reason being is the new standard deduction is significantly higher than what we itemized last year and we get a $2k credit for having a kid

This is really sickening to review how much we pay in taxes

GLADIATOR

Are you not entertained?
Donating Member
Reaction score
15.2% in 2017. Looks like 2018 is shaping up to be about 14.5% despite us making much more than we did in 2017. Reason being is the new standard deduction is significantly higher than what we itemized last year and we get a $2k credit for having a kid

This is really sickening to review how much we pay in taxes

Playing the victim is easy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom