Gaming What video games were/ are you legitimately good at?

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Back in the '80's I spent a fair amount of time at Galaxy Lanes in Carol Stream.

I was one of the first folks who mastered Dragon's Lair.

Would literally have crowds standing around to watch me fight the Dragon.

First laser disc game, was a big deal back then. Game actually kind of sucked but people couldn't pry themselves away from it because the graphics were so much better than anything seen up to that time. It was like playing a cartoon.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Im not particularly good at any single game, but I do pride myself on waiting until the last Forza Horizon is aging out. Then I go on and beat all of [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]'s and Jurk's top speed camera speeds. I have them all beat at this point. #sorrynotsorry

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Back in the '80's I spent a fair amount of time at Galaxy Lanes in Carol Stream.

I was one of the first folks who mastered Dragon's Lair.

Would literally have crowds standing around to watch me fight the Dragon.

First laser disc game, was a big deal back then. Game actually kind of sucked but people couldn't pry themselves away from it because the graphics were so much better than anything seen up to that time. It was like playing a cartoon.

i think that is exactly how it worked. ie. usually for graphics you think of something being drawn at that time. some games will render something ahead of time in higher quality and then just play that back as a movie. so the game is graphics and some cut scene is a movie. i'm pretty sure that is how dragon's lair worked. it was a choose your own short cartoon to play.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
One that I forgot about from the 90's at the arcades: Hard Drivin' and the sequel: Race Drivin'. It was a 3D racing game with a manual transmission and an actual clutch pedal. And the car would oversteer and had realistic (at the time) driving dynamics.

I was consistently in the top 3 for a period of a couple years while at U of I.
IMG_0187-Custom1.jpg

Race_Drivin_in-game_screenshot.png

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
One that I forgot about from the 90's at the arcades: Hard Drivin' and the sequel: Race Drivin'. It was a 3D racing game with a manual transmission and an actual clutch pedal. And the car would oversteer and had realistic (at the time) driving dynamics.

I was consistently in the top 3 for a period of a couple years while at U of I.
IMG_0187-Custom1.jpg

Race_Drivin_in-game_screenshot.png

I had the Genesis port of that game. All glorious 5fps if it. Lol.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Mortal Kombat I and II back in the arcade days.

Street Fighter II back in the arcade days.

SOCOM and SOCOM II back on PS2.

Then I got old and now I suck at them all. Doesnt stop me from playing though. :rofl:
I remember playing the Socom series. Best online game at the time (as if there were many). I would do pretty decent. Not great but well enough.

I used to be really good at the earlier online CoD games. Modern Warfare was where it all started. I used to be in a CoD group on fb at that time and this Canadian girl and I would always dominate 99% of the games we played. Then I slowly stopped playing for a bit and never played with her again. I continued getting CoD and was great at Black Ops 1. After that, it seemed like the franchise was kind of going downhill and now I rarely play any CoD, despite buying them each year.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
counter-strike

Same... nothing world record breaking :)rofl:) but I was in a few clans that were CAL-I and CAL-P... this was while I played on a 56k connection. at the age of 12-14ish.

I was VERY good at the game. OG 5-dig steam account too.

I keep reminding my parents now that kids are getting MILLIONS for playing games.. .and they wouldn't let me do tournaments. I will not let them live that down.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Same... nothing world record breaking :)rofl:) but I was in a few clans that were CAL-I and CAL-P... this was while I played on a 56k connection. at the age of 12-14ish.

I was VERY good at the game. OG 5-dig steam account too.

I keep reminding my parents now that kids are getting MILLIONS for playing games.. .and they wouldn't let me do tournaments. I will not let them live that down.

i have some sweet modem pwnage screenshots when i was wrecking people from home on 56k. i've probably walked by the depaul esports facility 10 times in the last couple weeks, just sent them a not earlier today about stopping in for a visit. my steam account should be pretty old as well, apparently people would buy them on ebay? seemed rather silly to me.

my first lan party was at some dude's house near rockford. it was the first day i played counter-strike too. i think it was the day beta 4 was released.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Actually I have never played a home video game since the stick figure ski game a relative had.
That was probably when I was a teen or close to it??
At the arcade we had pinball, non-digital of course, Satin Doll was my favorite, air hockey & a submarine machine that you sat on a chair IIRC and sunk ships??
I think I was already driving when the digital stuff came out??
My ship actually had a miss pacman machine on the mess deck, but I never played that either.

My mother was 15, and had zero desirable job skills, so we had nothing a relative didn't buy for us.
Lincoln logs, models, matchbox cars and GI Joes.
I didn't get to pick what we watched on TV until I got thrown out of the house at 11 and they had a TV in the basement where I stayed.
They never had a video game either, and I don't even remember if I ever asked for one??
They had a pool table, so I played pool every day starting at age 11.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Never had or even knew about Lego's until my 1st kid.
I know none of my friends had them or I would have heard about them.
We did every thing out side then, even in winter.
My mother had a ton of boyfriends and in a 1 bedroom apartment, she didn't want kids cramping her style!!

I had a small track you built different courses with for matchbox cars. That was cool.
I got a slot car track right before I left home, but that stayed behind, all I got to bring was some clothes, but I loved it for a few months before I left.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Hangman on the Texas Instruments keyboard circa 1983.

I was actually REALLY good at Madden but I forget which year it was. An online friend was related to one of the top ten players in the country and set it up so he and I would play against each other and I handed him his ass. Kept playing against him for fun and beat him about 80-90% of the time. I never got into tournaments or anything because I didn’t have the time to dedicate to traveling to play and there was no way I was going to make enough money to risk my job because of it. Got approached by “teams” for a sponsorship but I had to decline because of work, I’d rather have a steady paycheck than a quick buck and I wasn’t good enough to get first place for the big money pot.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I used to play the shit out of this game. Wasn't multi-player so I'm not sure if I was any good.

https://youtu.be/DrYjCSCQOYg

And I don't know how many hours I put into NFS: Porsche Unleashed. LOVE that game. I loved the historic mode where you started back at the beginning, and worked your way through the decades, unlocking newer cars. I wouldn't mind a revisit to this type of game with say Ferrari, or Lamborghini.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info