Gaming What video games were/ are you legitimately good at?

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Are there any video games you were legitimately one of the best or the best in the world at?

I grew up before extensive PvP online play so apart from my recent speed run attempts at super Metroid and Zelda A Link to the Past which I’ve merely cracked the top 500 I have only one game I can legit claim:

Dead Rising (X360): My 72 hr score was 4th in the world when I achieved it. I used to help other players and guide makers with methods on how the game timers and mechanics of survivors worked. Good gaming times.

I knew everything about that game and could play it perfectly. I would get dozens of friend requests a week from people asking me to voice chat guide them haha. This was years before twitch.

It stood in the top 10 for 2 years before hackers and save exploits found a way to beat it. Hell I checked today and I’m still top 50, not that many people play it anymore haha.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
counter-strike
quake 2 lithium mod

somewhat formidable regionally, although never really won money or anything.

i started the niu computer gaming league, when i graduated we had over 200 people, we had lan parties where people had come from as far away as canada or florida. chicagoland people i would smoke online would show up to see if i was cheating. still have a bunch of pictures and screenshots from back then. the college would not even provide us $50 for gear. after i graduated, an idiot took over as president, did nothing i said, and subsequently ran my student org dead into the ground. it actually helped my career, it's the major reason i won a place in a really competitive internship.

i've been meaning to check out depaul's gaming facilities down here in the city. because these days... colleges actually put millions into gaming problems.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Project Gotham 2. Used to come home from work at midnight, start drinking, and I was at or near the top of almost every time trial in that game. :rofl:

Also GT3. Actually won a "tournament" on GT Planet once. Actually got paid real money :rofl:

i think it was league of legends? my cousin got flown to somewhere in europe, and china, to go play. team wons 10s of k's at least, not sure of his share. i have played counter-strike while traveling now in spain, philippines, and thailand, and i represented 'murica well in all three :p

some pics i still have, one of the most fun games, uiuc vs. purdue quake 2 capture the flag

XyEalPf.jpg

probably not particularly accurate for actual skill but i think my best rating on this site, no effort to goose it:

h26A12v.jpg

my spray, surely offensive by today's college standards

TaiZbk7.png

some of my recruitment signs

BfS1Wsi.jpg

O6nMSv6.jpg

6MbRA5t.gif

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Not top of the world, but I was decent at the Gran Turismo games. We had a thing here on TCG for awhile where we'd select races and cars and post our times, and we were a fairly competitive group. :)

Now I spend more time trying to teach my 7 year old daughter how to drive on Gran Turismo Sport on PS4. :D

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Battlezone (1998) - There wasn't a ranking system, but I was really good at this.

Asheron's Call (1999) - I wasn't a PvPer, so no rank. But I would always get invited into the best raid/dungeon groups because I was one of the best supports on the server. I also had the best weapon crafter on the server (just meant I had the highest skill), so everyone sought me out for weapon upgrades (higher skill meant less of a chance of destroying the weapon).

CS Soccerjam - 2nd best goalie at one point

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
i forgot about this game until you mentioned it, think i played 1 and 2 and found both pretty fun too? iirc it was very heavily pirated

Yes, I think the original Tribes didn't require a legit copy to play on-line, so there was a HUGE Tribes community out there. I even think you could play on-line with the free demo version.

I think that was back in the days before Steam and all the other gaming clients.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Socom 2, played with my brothers and a few friends. As a group we pretty much never lost, if I played solo with randoms I was always at the top. Played so much I burned the graphics into the projection tv screen :rofl:

Was also in one of the top raid guilds for wow a long time ago. I think we were like 2nd or 3rd in the world to complete some raids.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005). I got to a point where I smashed all the records for longest and most points in a single pursuit. I LOVED that game. Still have it, but, don't have an Xbox 360 to play it on.

At one point, CS Source. I have over 50 hours on my new account, and had over 1,000 on my previous one that I lost. I would say I was probably in the top 1,000 and had a LOT of kills with IIRC a 5.2xx K/D ratio.

These days, I play a lot of WoW and Assassins Creed Odyssey. I've got over 300 hours in Odyssey and I have no clue if I set any records, but, I am over 80% on achievments, but, stopped playing a couple of months ago.

Not really competetive now. I play CS with my Trooper buddy/best friend and WoW is me time.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
When I used to play MMO's a lot, I was among the top 5 at my class in EQ2. To the point where the devs would accept my feedback and recommendations on the direction the class should take in future expansions. I wasted way too much time on that game. It was a good method to keep my ass out of trouble while I was at University though :rofl:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I've known some world class players in various games, so I can say without a doubt, I have never been THAT good at any game. In college had a couple top 250 OG Starcraft players on my floor (probably top 10 in the US, but the leaderboards were stacked with Koreans). Friend was on the leaderboards on Arkham (sp?) Asylum. Another friend was top probably 50 on Dark Souls.

I could hold my own, WAY back, in the old CS days (I think I came in around V2 or 3, but never teamed up, would hit the internet cafe's and have some fun. Never played PvP, but I got really good at Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the OG XBox, but I'm sure would probably get crushed PvP.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I never had a good K : D but I use to be really good at :ws: in Battlefield 2 for the PC when I'd play as special forces class. That game would have 1 commander on each team and was 32 vs 32. As a special forces class if you dedicate to blowing up the other teams assets like UAV's and Artillery with C4 you could cripple a teams ability to win especially if your teams commander was competent. In games where I did that I'd say we win 90% of the time. It was the ultimate dick move, I was really good at it and the times we would lose would be when someone was doing the same tactic against my team.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info