What to do with the F350 - need input

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ok, here's the deal - I would like to ask TCG's input on what to do with my current truck. Allow me to get into a few points:

1. Truck has 222k on the clock and runs great
  2. Rust has taken hold of the rear fender wells
  3. Anemic tire sizes piss me off
  4. Been thinking of selling and going 1/2 ton
  5. Interior is still going strong, but need to fix the heated driver's seat before winter
  6. Would like to level the truck, but I am pretty sure the rear is sagging a bit so its sorta already levelled. :rofl:
  7. Bigger tires, but which and wheels or not to wheels?
  8. Never done a fuel filter on the truck... should I worry about that? It's located on the driver's side frame rail, right?
  9. One of the door moldings literally blew off the truck while I was on a road trip for my son's football to Pennsylvania. 1850mi round trip at 85mph, got 17mpg hauling 5 people and a boat load of stuff in the bed. She cruised quite nicely IMO. Anyway, thinking about removing the door moldings - thoughts?
  10. Grill guard - keep it or lose it?
  11. I think I need some new LEDs - which to buy? Or do I just install LED bulbs in the low beams and keep the old D2 lights I've got in the fog slots now? They work great, but they're getting BADLY WEATHERED.
  12. Running boards - keep em or ditch em? If I level it, I would need to jump to get into the damn thing :rofl:
  13. Topper or not to topper?

Otherwise, if I didn't keep the truck I'd sell it off for 10k or whatever and go looking for a newer 1/2 ton. Not sure which yet, but seems like the big three all have trucks worth looking at right now.

I really don't like the idea of another payment, so keeping the truck is ideal... but the rust is starting to wear me down.

What to do TCG?!?!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
lifted_2006_ford_f_250_king_ranch_diesel_powerstroke_4x4_24995_fredericksburg_4330006459189652089.jpg

This is sorta what I'm thinking. Not sure I like the bro wheels or not.

Eh, more like this I think:

459480.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Was going to suggest this if possible. Best bet especially if already painted same color and clean.

even if color is off, painting a truck bed isn't too bad for body shops, especially if he were to remove EVERYTHING and drop it off seperately.

It's starting to underneath... and the bottoms of the doors are doing the same.

Honestly, I was going to go to a Linex place and see what they'd charge me do do basically all the lower gold areas of the truck with their material, including the bottom of the doors.

ugh fuck rust.

that doesn't sound like a terrible idea though...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Can't stop the rust train short of cutting out the whole panel and refinishing it. I'm sure [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] could interject there.

I say just keep it until it literally falls apart. It's a great truck, just maintain it. And think of how much you dumped into the bulletproofing.

I can recover a good amount of the bulletproofing in resale. I got the truck at 175k, so I mean, I'm definitely driving and using it. I'm sure I could get 10k for it tomorrow as is if I were to put it up on CList... so I haven't done too bad on it at that point.

But starting over on a new truck, even if its already bulletproofed and tested... is a daunting task to me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It's starting to underneath... and the bottoms of the doors are doing the same.

Honestly, I was going to go to a Linex place and see what they'd charge me do do basically all the lower gold areas of the truck with their material, including the bottom of the doors.

Do that. It's the most cost effective way by far. You can even have them paint match it to burgundy, gold, etc... Get a bed as far as rust is concerned, it's the cheapest way and there's tons of 8' beds out there.

I wouldn't ditch the cap, you do a lot of winter activities and the cap is a lifesaver for that stuff.

DO A FUCKING FUEL FILTER DAN :rofl: . I do mine every 5,000 miles and you'd be surprised what kind of shit 1-2 bad tanks can bring in. Fuel systems in these trucks are expensive, be as religious about maintaining it as oil changes.

Do that fuel filter, if the forward filter has rust in it, sell the truck, if it doesn't, do the aforementioned things and keep rocking out.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Do that. It's the most cost effective way by far. You can even have them paint match it to burgundy, gold, etc... Get a bed as far as rust is concerned, it's the cheapest way and there's tons of 8' beds out there.

Will talk to my neighbor and see what's up price wise.

I wouldn't ditch the cap, you do a lot of winter activities and the cap is a lifesaver for that stuff.

Agreed, but I think it definitely takes away from the "look" of the truck. Maybe its just wearing on me.

DO A FUCKING FUEL FILTER DAN :rofl: . I do mine every 5,000 miles and you'd be surprised what kind of shit 1-2 bad tanks can bring in. Fuel systems in these trucks are expensive, be as religious about maintaining it as oil changes.

Do that fuel filter, if the forward filter has rust in it, sell the truck, if it doesn't, do the aforementioned things and keep rocking out.

Forward filter? So there are multiples? Best way to inspect for rust in the filter? Should I replace all the filters? Have any resources on this I can check out?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
you only live once :run:

2012-ford-super-duty-f350-lariat-crew-cab-4wd-truck-angular-front.png

F143829605.jpg

Tuner Features
Delete and Non-Delete Power Levels from Stock to +150HP
Adjust Factory Settings and Monitor up to 20 Parameters
4" Downpipe-Back Exhaust System
Deletes CAT, DPF and DEF systems.
Uses Factory mounts and hangers for easy, reversible installation
Available in Aluminized or Stainless Steel
Available With or Without Muffler

MiniMaxx DPF, DEF, CAT Delete 4" Exhaust Package for Powerstroke 6.7L 2011-14

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info