What to do v. Garage heaters

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So I was at Menards the other day researching garage heaters in prep for Black Friday sales that might happen.

Option 1: I spoke with a lil ole sales guy who was pushing me to the electric heater for $599 because it requires no venting and only uses electric during the winter months when electric is cheaper anyway.
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...430-c-6328.htm?tid=6608613120192647791&ipos=5

Option 2: Then I saw the infrared heaters that are 99% efficient and require no venting:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXF0M/?tag=tcg21-20

I like this concept. However, there is no fan to push the warm air around so I need to run another fan to move air.

Option 3: Then there is the old school nat gas heater with a fan that does all of the above: makes heat, has a fan to cycle air, and requires both gas and electric to be ran to it as well as needing an exhaust vent outside. Not a big fan of that exhaust requirement.

Anyone here have experience with anything other than option 3?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have a ventless, there is a fan you can buy that attaches to the back to help push the heat out, I run mine on propane until my reserves are burned up, then I’m going to switch to natural gas the one I have can run on both, I like it keeps the garage as warm as I want I normally keep it 50 ish out there

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I have a ventless, there is a fan you can buy that attaches to the back to help push the heat out, I run mine on propane until my reserves are burned up, then I’m going to switch to natural gas the one I have can run on both, I like it keeps the garage as warm as I want I normally keep it 50 ish out there

The ventless gas is an option, but those do create a bit of a scent that I was trying to avoid. I guess running it on propane might create less scent.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida

Doesn't that eventually build up some carbon monoxide inside the garage?

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I have a 220v electric heater. It has 3 settings and a 280cfm fan. My garage is 28x26 attached on two sides, insulated and an insulated door. My Profusion 99.00 Heater from Northern Tool works like a champ. My garage seldom goes below freezing. With the electric heater I can easily keep it at 65-70. It added about 35-40/month to my electric bill.

My master bedroom is above the garage and local building codes made it hard to do a vented gas.

I’ve had the heater for 5 years and I would recommend it.

I can post pictures if you want to see it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Doesn't that eventually build up some carbon monoxide inside the garage?

If you never opened your garage it might they are supposedly 99.9% efficient, last year I had the furnace go out on the coldest day of the year, I brought the garage heater inside and put it right under my carbon monoxide detector just Incase no issues, I was useing propane that I got off the pipeline at work so it didn’t have mercaptian added to it for smell like normal propane and natural gas

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
My father-in-law gave me a ceiling mountable electric heater that I had to wire it up (220 V) that works great. I installed it on the ceiling in the far left corner and have it pointed towards the center (can move it any direction I want though). Non vented and brings the heat up quick. If I need it more focused on a certain area then I can always point it towards my garage door opener mounted fan and have it push towards my workbench if need be (hardly ever).

The good thing about the ceiling mounted heater is that it's out of the way and no need for additional stuff.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I have a 220v electric heater. It has 3 settings and a 280cfm fan. My garage is 28x26 attached on two sides, insulated and an insulated door. My Profusion 99.00 Heater from Northern Tool works like a champ. My garage seldom goes below freezing. With the electric heater I can easily keep it at 65-70. It added about 35-40/month to my electric bill.

My master bedroom is above the garage and local building codes made it hard to do a vented gas.

I’ve had the heater for 5 years and I would recommend it.

I can post pictures if you want to see it.

$35-40/mo running constantly set to what temp?

My master is above the garage too, so I feel ya there.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
a2644487e4d3a29fcfaa217892057fb8.jpg

a797f8225b0ef262f240e4988696b877.jpg

I have mine mounted on the ceiling as well.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
$35-40/mo running constantly set to what temp?

My master is above the garage too, so I feel ya there.

I keep it about 55 and will put it up to 65 if I’m working out there.

I just repainted my floor and had it set at 70 for the past 20 days. According to my ComEd smart meter My bill is trending about 25.00 more so not bad.

My garage is very well insulated so once I’m up to temp it does not cycle much.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have the procom 30k BTU ventless heater and it works great. Not gonna lie for the first month or so it smelled really bad, so bad that I checked and rechecked for gas leaks and found nothing. That was 3 years ago and it’s been awesome since. You just have to break it in before the smell wears off

https://m.lowes.com/pd/ProCom-30-00...d-Propane-Vent-Free-Convection-Heater/3642918

I have something very similar just a different brand. Only use it when working in the garage on the weekends. I have 2.5 car garage with no insulation at all. I put an oscillating fan in front of it, and I don’t care how cold it is outside. My garage will get up to 70 degrees with this heater. 1 20lb propane tank (grill size) gets me between 15-18 hours.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
A vented natural gas unit is the way to go. I had a vent free heater for a few years, but I got sick of the condensation buildup and humidity. I switched over to a vented unit and it's so much better. It's connected to a thermostat and is left at 60 degrees all winter unless I'm working out there and want it warmer.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info