What to do v. Garage heaters

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...ireplaces > Propane Heaters&utm_content=52561

On sale for 179 vs 239

52561_400x400.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I guess it depends on which one you get but I have worked in 3 friend's garages with the propane wall mount ventless setups and every time I walked out and walked back in they reaked of propane. For that reason I am out. I am actually leaning towards a split unit/ductless heat pump come spring as I am going to be spending most of next winter doing body work on the 510.

Garage has the electric panel right there and would give me AC and Heat in the garage. My garage is well insulated so it doesn't take much to get it up to heat and honestly I only like it up to like 60 degrees anyways.

Something like this. https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-Ai...subCat=&trail=68436:10,001 - 12,000:68435:Yes

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I guess it depends on which one you get but I have worked in 3 friend's garages with the propane wall mount ventless setups and every time I walked out and walked back in they reaked of propane. For that reason I am out. I am actually leaning towards a split unit/ductless heat pump come spring as I am going to be spending most of next winter doing body work on the 510.

Garage has the electric panel right there and would give me AC and Heat in the garage. My garage is well insulated so it doesn't take much to get it up to heat and honestly I only like it up to like 60 degrees anyways.

Something like this. https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-Ai...subCat=&trail=68436:10,001 - 12,000:68435:Yes

Propane smells A LOT more than natural gas when it's burned in my experience.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
When my cousin came up here to IL for a week back in January I left the 220v heater on 24/7 at about 70-75*. My garage is roughly 300sqft (give or take). That month's bill was roughly $120-$130. Electricity usage nearly doubled for that month (mainly that week I left the heater on). I'd say that from normal usage/cost to using that heater for the week (or that month), my bill went up another $40ish maybe $50.

After that, I just either turned the heater on when I needed to work in the garage or I'll leave it set around 50ish degrees and turn it up when I worked in the garage. Bill averaged an additional $20 dollars.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have a little Torpedo heater and a 40 gallon Propane tank with a 20 gallon as spare.

With my 2 car garage and only using it when I’m working on cars or projects in the garage I usually only go through the big tank and some of the small tank each season. My garage door and entire garage are insulated, so I just crank the heater until it’s comfortable, then dial it down to medium or low to hold temp. It does a fantastic job of getting the space warm quickly. I would love a ceiling mounted one in the corner that uses natural gas instead, but it’s a BIG run because my main line is on the opposite side of the house and there is nothing even close to the garage that has a gas line near it sadly.

I was considering going electric, but this thread seems to have helped me just stick with my Torpedo.

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
The ventless gas is an option, but those do create a bit of a scent that I was trying to avoid. I guess running it on propane might create less scent.

A vented natural gas unit is the way to go. I had a vent free heater for a few years, but I got sick of the condensation buildup and humidity. I switched over to a vented unit and it's so much better. It's connected to a thermostat and is left at 60 degrees all winter unless I'm working out there and want it warmer.

X2

Get this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Montere...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100045691-_-N

I wouldnt play around with Ventless...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info