What the fuck should I drive, starring Mike K!

Egreen99

Addict
May 26, 2004
"I'd suffer with a slower car rather than a faster domestic equivalent. Don't hate me; it's just what I like."

I didn't miss the part where u do have a 550i. I was just saying maybe get into a lower mileage newer 530i that will do the same thing as the 550i while being better on gas and having lower miles etc..

If power is what your after and an automatic not domestic your choices are limited to Audi, BMW, MB, other than the GTR the Japanese, Koreans, Swedes don't offer anything fun and powerful unless u want a Legacy GT, but coming from a 550i almost anything is a step down.

Good luck with your search. 06 E55 AMG is a great option

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
"I'd suffer with a slower car rather than a faster domestic equivalent. Don't hate me; it's just what I like."

I didn't miss the part where u do have a 550i. I was just saying maybe get into a lower mileage newer 530i that will do the same thing as the 550i while being better on gas and having lower miles etc..

I get it but my complaint has never been miles or gas mileage. In fact, my main issue is that the 550 leaves me wanting just a bit more as far as power goes. And when I say I'd take a slower German car over a faster domestic I'm talking like 400 horsepower versus 500. The 530 is 230hp.

Egreen99

Addict
May 26, 2004
I have driven a 550i with an auto trans and 2006 S6 with the v-10, both cars were not as fast as I expected them to be, I was expecting more drama out of the V-10 it was quick but not like damn this is fast. The 550i was a let down power wise,everything about that car was great interior, handling however the power 320hp for such a heavy car just did not impress me. I agree with you 100% M5 would fit the bill perfectly.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The 550 is actually 360 horsepower. I've not driven an automatic version but sounds like I'm not missing much. It's still a 13.2 second 1/4 mile car though and believe it or not it's only 3800lbs.

Now the S6, that's a sob story there. 4500lbs, 435 hp and a 1/4 mile time deep into the 14's and a trap speed of only 102mph. It's like, why bother with the V10 at all... It's a quick car, definitely not fast.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have a 545i that has 325 hp. really i don't feel the need for any more power, not much place for me to use it around the grayslake area and on the highway i've never said, good christ this thing really needs more power. really i wonder how you guys even drive in normal life when you feel like it needs 100 more!

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
i have a 545i that has 325 hp. really i don't feel the need for any more power, not much place for me to use it around the grayslake area and on the highway i've never said, good christ this thing really needs more power. really i wonder how you guys even drive in normal life when you feel like it needs 100 more!

Because middle 300's to middle 400's for hp just isn't that fast. While not a slouch compared to most cars there is a lack of thrill of really getting up and moving out. This especially holds true for the heavier cars. I am shooting for 700rwhp in my summer daily driver and I see no problem with that. Just flip the EBC to setting 1 and keep TCS on for normal driving. :dunno:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
yeah, but it isn't that slow either. how many times are you going to starbucks or work or wherever where you actually get on it? it's pretty rare for me. if you are going for 700 and taking it to a drag strip and can even tone it down with some software i get it, but your car seems more apt for that than a 5er.

i was going to take mine to a (curvy) track but with the weight decided i didn't want to burn through brakes even faster than with my prior car. the number of times i really get on it street driving is rare. the more fun parts are taking the off ramp fast vs. just smashing a foot on the straight part of the highway where there's probably a bunch of traffic anyway.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Fuck dude, 2002+ 911's are so cheap right now. I totally wouldn't mind having a Carrera 4s Cabriolet. 360hp out of that engine, a wicked exhaust note, etc. The problem is the car looks painfully cheap on the inside, like 97-03 Grand Prix cheap. The seats look really thin, the center console hard and plasticy, and when you look at the cars from that vintage they suffer from interior panel deforming as a result of sun and heat.

I realize people don't buy Porsche's for their interiors but it would be tough to rock that when I can look at Porsches that are just a couple years newer and they have awesome interiors. I'd totally drive that thing year round though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info