What the fuck should I drive, starring Mike K!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The new SHO is actually a pretty nice car. Anybody that's spent any time in one usually has very good things to say about the car. It's certainly no worse than some of the other cars being mentioned in this thread.

I was in Dearborn for the press unveiling at the Ford testing grounds... So I'm not just saying that as someone that's seen one and nothing more. I'm not impressed. I think the Taurus is ok as a platform and I think the SHO is a nice top of the line Taurus but I still think it's a long ways off from being a performance car.

Seems like nothing really is a consideration here (this thread) unless it wears a non-domestic badge, at least that's my subtle observation.

It is what it is. I don't hate domestic brands. I've just not found anything that drives like a german sedan and on top of that, I know I'm getting better interior quality, better interior design, more features, etc. Not to say that domestic cars don't have this but...

a. largely they don't and
b. I'd have to look at all the other cars to see if they do have a nice interior.

So with the luxury brands you know you're getting a consistently better product. I'm not a car snob though. Truth me told, I paid less for my 550 than most pay for their G8's.

I calculated some numbers tonight, crossed the i's, dotted the t's and I can save myself about a couple hundred a month and grab the M5 with the warranty with low miles. I hate being an adult. 2003 me would have just signed the papers. Then again, 2003 me had a 450 credit score and netted 20k a year...

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I say pick the S85 V10 M5 with SMG 7 speed up anyways. If you look around you can find much better deals on parts from other locations than dealers; usually resulting 50%-75% off from what I have seen. You have the P400 function at start up so when your wife hops in it will have less hp and be more manageable. Just an overall great car sans the MPG. But I could be biased since I plan on picking an M6 up in the next few years.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I say pick the S85 V10 M5 with SMG 7 speed up anyways. If you look around you can find much better deals on parts from other locations than dealers; usually resulting 50%-75% off from what I have seen. You have the P400 function at start up so when your wife hops in it will have less hp and be more manageable. Just an overall great car sans the MPG. But I could be biased since I plan on picking an M6 up in the next few years.

I'm nearly certain this is what I'll be doing. Really the only big issues are the VANOS system and the SMG pump. I can deal with just about anything else but just that SMG pump is $4000.

I'm not really concerned about her hopping in the car at 400hp or 500hp. She's taken my car once in the last 6 months. She's not at all passionate about me ditching the 550 but would just prefers that it was something she could drive. So I'm using her as a catalyst to make some moves.

Those that have been around here for awhile know that I bought a 1998 Taurus SHO to stack miles on in 2009. Then 5 months later I bought a 2002 Q45 to replace it and then I bought my A8 to replace that. I lost my way at some point and let my choice of junk commuter car bloat to an A8 and my fun Grand Prix bloated into a BMW. I've put maybe 1500 miles on the A8 in the last 6 months and I'm paying $100 premium per month just in insurance because of it's aluminum body.

So with us getting a place in California, I think I'm going to make the big boy decision, sell both the A8 and the 550 and buy one car to replace the two. And that's more than you ever wanted to know about my car buying habits...

That Merc is a bit too ostentatious even for me. Out of the two (s55/ S600) I'd probably go for the S600. Just as fast, better interior materials and from what I gather, a better overall car. If I was grabbing a flagship car like that though I'd want to steer away from the boy racer look and more into the classy flagship car look.

The Bentley is sick but just not for me. The technology on that thing is archaic and I like my gadgets. Plus it's just too old to buy.

Egreen99

Addict
May 26, 2004
STS-V power, luxury, decent interior, brembo brakes etc.. they were 70k new now u can get them for mids 20s or better. I test drove a 06 530i with a manual trans, it was not fast but it felt good enough, not a turd nor a speed demon. Its great on gas, great handling etc.. more reliable then the turbo models. I say 06-08 530i 6 speed, sport, winter, premium package.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
STS-V power, luxury, decent interior, brembo brakes etc.. they were 70k new now u can get them for mids 20s or better. I test drove a 06 530i with a manual trans, it was not fast but it felt good enough, not a turd nor a speed demon. Its great on gas, great handling etc.. more reliable then the turbo models. I say 06-08 530i 6 speed, sport, winter, premium package.

I think you missed the part where I'm selling my 06' 550i with the manual transmission to get whatever I get. :) Definitely not swinging off of a 530. Really nice car if speed isn't your number one priority but a step backwards.

The STS-V is a wicked car but just not my style. It's A8 sized, old technology (interior-wise), starting to age, and a good example isn't much cheaper than an M5.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info