What the fuck should I drive, starring Mike K!

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
SThere's a bigger problem though: I'm shipping a car to California to have out there which means we're only going to have my wife's XC90 and my BMW out here.

She hasn't demanded it but strongly prefers that I have something that she can drive. She can't drive stick and if I'm being honest, even if I taught her I'm not sure I'd want her driving the car. I think she'd be hell on the clutch.

Keep your Bimmer, and buy an affordable Roadster for the wife, (like a BMW Z4 or MB SLK) for when she doesn't want to drive the SUV. :dunno:

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Another vote for the newer XF Jag's....they are awesome, and stunning to see. the B&W stereo is in the top 5 OEM stereos. The others being B&O, Levinson, Lexicon, and I'm not even sure what to put after that.

CTS-V is awesome, but the mileage and maint. could be similar to the M5... and the stereo isn't that great. (No offense to die-hard caddy people).

535 is a great all around car, but I'd still get a good warranty on it. HUD is like you said: impossible to find used.

On your E55 idea.... EVERYONE wants that car in theory. Because it's just fricken awesome. I can't believe it debuted in 2003... it was a wet dream then, and is still sweet now. That being said, you could probably make a fire in your front yard filled with money and that would be the equivalent of the ownership of a E55. Check mbworld, I've never seen more problems over length of ownership than with those, and if you think 500 dollar rotors are expensive....

Your specs are hard to fulfill, my vote goes to the XF, 535, or the newer S4 with the supercharged V6.

Drumroll: Here's my OUTSIDE the box idea...... I'm sure you will have a hard time getting past the badge but:

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-spec.....

Just throwing it out there. Run almost 13 flat at like 108 or something, brakes well, gets like 26-27 on the hwy while throwing out 400+ hp, have the lexicon 17 speaker sound system... and are LOADED. Not sure if you can find one used right now (since they just came out this year) but they are a decent buy for the money. Just my 2 cents though.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Drumroll: Here's my OUTSIDE the box idea...... I'm sure you will have a hard time getting past the badge but:

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-spec.....

Just throwing it out there. Run almost 13 flat at like 108 or something, brakes well, gets like 26-27 on the hwy while throwing out 400+ hp, have the lexicon 17 speaker sound system... and are LOADED. Not sure if you can find one used right now (since they just came out this year) but they are a decent buy for the money. Just my 2 cents though.
You think the owner of Wbodystore will be caught dead in a Hyundia?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Keep your Bimmer, and buy an affordable Roadster for the wife, (like a BMW Z4 or MB SLK) for when she doesn't want to drive the SUV. :dunno:

My wife could give two shits about the cars. She just knows her Volvo is safe and luxurious and it looks nice. The only reason she doesn't like the BMW is because it rides rough and it bumps you around between shifts. It doesn't help that the A8 is my other car and that's like driving a stick of butter.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-spec.

I like some of the cars Hyundai is coming out with. I'm just not sure I can wrap myself around a Hyundai. It's not all about overall speed. I want the entire package and while they've come a long way, I'm not sure they have the attention to detail that others have... not just yet at least.

Ive valeted the new XF Jag, and its absolutely awesome all around. The C63 AMG is also awesome and probable would handle decent. The new CTSV build quality is a million times better then the old, especially with the recaros and suede interior options.

Yeah I just wonder if they've done anything with the seats.

Maserati : Quattroporte Maserati : Quattroporte | eBay

Don't laugh... that was actually on my short list but I ultimately decided that it was going to end up costing as much as the M5 to own.

whats insurance on your a8

I haven't pulled just the A8 out in awhile to check but it was cheaper for me to insure than M5 than it is to insure the Audi and the amount was substantial. The Audi apparently needs to be worked on by shops that have completely separate tools for aluminum cars and it's very easy to total it out. In fact, I'm pretty sure a fender bender would total it out now.

2003 rs6 tt v8, chip it and haul

But it's just so ugly and they have not aged gracefully at all.

I think we're between the XF and 535 when it's all said and done.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I like some of the cars Hyundai is coming out with. I'm just not sure I can wrap myself around a Hyundai. It's not all about overall speed. I want the entire package and while they've come a long way, I'm not sure they have the attention to detail that others have... not just yet at least.

I'm in the same boat. Hyundai is makeing amazing progress, one day I could see myself including them in my prospective purchases, but that day is not quite today. Still, I wouldn't have even said "some day" two years ago. They've turned around quick.

Soulonfire11

Regular
Aug 13, 2009
search

It looks awesome and drives awesome. Go with the Jag!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
They are pretty nice build quality actually. Id drive a Genesis.

Then again, the owner of WBS isnt driving a Wbody, or anything Amurikan, and doesnt want Amurikan.

Haha maybe, maybe not he would. But I agree with Fish, they are leaps and bounds from where they once were. Like I said, you just have to get over the badge. However until you at least go sit in one or drive it, it's hard to pass a judgement.

I test drove one for shits and giggles about 2 months ago and was BLOWN away (I didn't have crazy expectations either). Unfortunately I can't afford the car though :(

2012-Hyundai-Genesis-5.0-R-Spec-Front-View-7-1024x768.jpg

GENESIS%2BR-SPEC-0965-B.jpg

hyundai_genesis_5_0_r_spec_11.jpg

This is just IMHO, but I think it looks strikingly good, and right up there with German cars visually, and the power plant you can't scoff at.

Anyway,

Mike I'd go at least test drive a newer Jag XF that's in your price range, and see how the seats feel. The car is amazing all around, and more than likely should be nicer than the 535 but that's IMO. It's also hard to find them WITHOUT options already on the car.

And ps: The new 2012's are SIIIIIIIIICK. The XFR is my dream car, but I need to find like 86K

2012-jaguar-xfr-01-m.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Sounds like you have narrowed it down to 2 nice candidates. I wouldn't count the Merc out just yet though.

The Hyundais are nice. My brother's Genesis is a lot of car for the money and that warranty is oh so good. I just don't think they are quite at the level Mike is looking for. The high end Hyundais are almost there, maybe 2-3 years...

EDIT: http://jalopnik.com/5910197/the-3+s...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

medium.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i paid a pretty penny for my 545i - i wanted one white and stick. it came with HUD and brand new conti dws all seasons, neither of which i was happy to pay for. dws sitting on the shelf, and the HUD has really grown on me. if it's that rare hopefully it floats the price i paid for this boat !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info